ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The two turnovers killed us (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147936)

siberian khatru 09-17-2006 05:32 PM

The two turnovers killed us

I have issues with Herm and Solari (Why was there confusion about getting a play in with 9 seconds left in the first half? That cost us a shot at a TD). And I really don't understand why they burned so much clock after getting that 1st down in Denver territory with a minute left.

But really, LJ's fumble at the 5 was huge -- that cost us 3 points.

And then Huard's fumble when we were 1st and 10 at the Denver 34 was gut shot. That may have cost us points. Who knows.

Thig Lyfe 09-17-2006 05:40 PM

Yep, coaching is really the main weakness. Playcalling and clock management were bad whenever they really needed the right call. I think they made the wrong call for the second straight week in the same situation, too: LJ's fumble came on a 3rd and medium within the red zone. Sound familiar? I really think they should have gone with an out route just past the first down marker. Instead they run the ball and put the ball on the ground.

mikey23545 09-17-2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf
Yep, coaching is really the main weakness. Playcalling and clock management were bad whenever they really needed the right call. I think they made the wrong call for the second straight week in the same situation, too: LJ's fumble came on a 3rd and medium within the red zone. Sound familiar? I really think they should have gone with an out route just past the first down marker. Instead they run the ball and put the ball on the ground.

Let me get this straight...You're blaming a playcall for someone fumbling?

Mecca 09-17-2006 05:50 PM

What I've learned today is we'd have won if we let Huard throw 35 times.........brilliant.

Rausch 09-17-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545

Now's when it starts getting good.

Chiefsplanet is like the NFL equivalent of Moonbats...

Thig Lyfe 09-17-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the playcall should have been pass, but they decided to go conservative and it ended up not working with the fumble, and even then LJ didn't have the first down. They must have been afraid to throw a pick, but they fumbled. You can't think that a seemingly no-risk run outweighs a pass play in that situation, especially when the run play still (obviously) carries some risk.

RedandGold 09-17-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the playcall should have been pass, but they decided to go conservative and it ended up not working with the fumble, and even then LJ didn't have the first down. They must have been afraid to throw a pick, but they fumbled. You can't think that a seemingly no-risk run outweighs a pass play in that situation, especially when the run play still (obviously) carries some risk.

I didn't have an issue with the call. We were on the road, and we needed to get points on the board. In hindsight, if we get a FG with that possession, we win the game.

Thig Lyfe 09-17-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedandGold
I didn't have an issue with the call. We were on the road, and we needed to get points on the board. In hindsight, if we get a FG with that possession, we win the game.

I don't like settling for a FG when you don't know if you're even going to get that close again (which, as it turns out, they didn't). They should have gone for the TD right there. Sure, it might get picked off, but every time you run it it you might fumble (which is what happened). Most likely it's just an incomplete pass and then you can get the FG.

siberian khatru 09-17-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

I don't like settling for a FG when you don't know if you're even going to get that close again (which, as it turns out, they didn't). They should have gone for the TD right there. Sure, it might get picked off, but every time you run it it you might fumble (which is what happened). Most likely it's just an incomplete pass and then you can get the FG.

In THAT situation -- early in the game, on the road, with a b/u QB -- I don't have a problem with the call. I think it's different than Game 1 when we went conservative early in the game with Green at the helm and the O putting the D on its heels.

I think later in the game, they should've taken more chances to win. In between, I think the plan to keep Huard under control was smart.

LJ's got to protect the rock down there. His fumble was devastating.

RedandGold 09-17-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

It was the first quarter, our first possession, and we were on the road. A FG puts us up 3-0. There's nothing wrong with that.

If we were down by 7 late in the fourth quarter and we ran the same play, I would be throwing things and cursing profusely.

runnercyclist 09-17-2006 06:24 PM

I think it was a brilliant game plan. But, we had to play mistake free and we did not. Take away the two fumbles and Gonzo makes the catch on the 7 we win the game.