ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tony Gonzalez's Value (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149934)

jspchief 10-15-2006 07:57 PM

Tony Gonzalez's Value

Gonzo is up for a contract at the end of 2006. After watching him the last few years, I wonder what his value really is to this team. He seems to lack the playmaking ability he once had. Yea, he's still one of the best TEs in the game. But he's no longer a substitute for a WR like he has been for us over the years. He's not particularly fast, he doesn't break a lot of tackles, and to be honest he doesn't have the greatest hands anymore. He's not some nightmare for defensive coordinators any longer.

I'm just beginning to wonder how much he's really worth to this team. In the past he was a guy you could rely on when other facets of our offense struggled. Now he's just another piece that only seems to work when everything else is working.

If Gonzo comes looking for a contract that puts him in the top 5 of the pay scale for TEs, is he still worth it?

JBucc 10-15-2006 08:00 PM

No. If he wants Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates money let him walk. If he wants money for what he is, an aging TE past his prime he can stay as long as he wants.

2112 10-15-2006 08:01 PM

That is a very good question..

I would trade him for A)Immediate needs to get the Chiefs over the top right now.or B)For draft picks and think about the future

Gonzo is built for an attacking passing offense..something the Chiefs are going away from right now

Hammock Parties 10-15-2006 08:01 PM

Absolutely not. I've come to accept that harsh fact. They better not break the bank on him.

Hammock Parties 10-15-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill parcells
Gonzo is built for an attacking passing offense..w

Gonzo is built for an offense where he is not required to be the main receiving threat. He'd be ideal in a place like Denver (gulp) or a place where they have a premier wideout and RB.

Sure-Oz 10-15-2006 08:03 PM

I think if he re-signs for decent money sure keep him. But i'd try to trade him and get something. It's obvious we aren't utilizing him like we have in the past.

2112 10-15-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
Gonzo is built for an offense where he is not required to be the main receiving threat. He'd be ideal in a place like Denver (gulp) or a place where they have a premier wideout and RB.

Right!!!!

Hammock Parties 10-15-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz
It's obvious we aren't utilizing him like we have in the past.

I don't think that's true at all. He's just not getting open. The dude was almost unstoppable in Grbac's last two years.

His decline started last year and now he is nothing special. He is no longer an elite player.

Simplex3 10-15-2006 08:12 PM

He's old. Old TE's aren't very good. I wouldn't give much for him, quality TE's aren't exactly rare these days. Gates, LJ Smith, Cooley, Colston, Shockey, Gonzalez, Heap, Winslow, Witten, Crumpler, McMichael, Miller, Watson...

Not exactly the position you have to break the bank on to get quality.

Knob 10-15-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
I don't think that's true at all. He's just not getting open. The dude was almost unstoppable in Grbac's last two years.

His decline started last year and now he is nothing special. He is no longer an elite player.

But this year he finally learned spanish :rolleyes:

B2chiefsfan 10-15-2006 08:14 PM

Heck...

No tightends are really making any noise so far this season.

Hammock Parties 10-15-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
He's old. Old TE's aren't very good.

It's not fair. Sharpe was good to the last drop. :(

I don't know if Tony has 2,000 more yards in him. It might take 4 years. That's what he needs to break Sharpe's record.

Bwana 10-15-2006 08:16 PM

What we really need is a good LT. I would trade TG for a great LT in a heart beat.

dollar1 10-15-2006 08:18 PM

Hate to say this...

I agree and (gulp) said the same thing about DT in his final year :Poke:

~diving under rock~

Basileus777 10-15-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana
What we really need is a good LT. I would trade TG for a great LT in a heart beat.

Good LTs are traded about as often as franchise qbs.