ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Crazy Kids These Days !!! WTF ???? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=150315)

PinkFloyd 10-21-2006 06:46 PM

Crazy Kids These Days !!! WTF ????

KSHB-TV
Oct. 19
SHAWNEE, Kan. - Two elementary students are suspended for bringing a toy gun to school, a severe punishment parents in the Shawnee Mission School District appreciate. According to authorities, the students did not threaten anyone with the gun, but they had it with them and that is enough to get them kicked out of school. Toy guns post no real harm, but for Shawnee Mission students they are now grounds for a firm punishment.

"We have to take every incident seriously," said Principal Leigh Anne Neal.

The first and sixth graders were suspended from Niemen Elementary for having the toy gun.

"If he brought it just to play with he should have kept it in his pocket until he got home or something instead of just showing it to everybody," said Aaron Brown, a classmate of the sixth grader. "He wanted me to look at his backpack and there was a toy gun."

A staff member also saw the toy gun and removed the child from the classroom. Neal learned later the sixth grader got the gun from a younger student.

"The district has a policy that prohibits the possession of weapons such as guns or anything that could be considered a look-alike weapon," Neal said.

Aaron watched as his classmate was taken out of class, but he does not feel sorry for him. Neither does his father.

"There's zero tolerance for any kind of gun at that school," Aaron said. "I was (thinking) he's probably going to get in trouble for it sooner or later. Fate walked in and the principal was right there."

"You can't take a risk anymore," said parent Travis Reeves. "You have to think about the safety of the kids. What if it was your kid?"

Aaron said his classmate has been suspended for 10 days. The district would not comment on the punishment, but say student safety is their priority.

Dark Horse 10-21-2006 07:35 PM

We as a society will never be safe until we find a way to stop the on-slaught of children playing with toys.

dj56dt58 10-21-2006 07:38 PM

Wow...That could have been devestating had they not been caught

Hootie 10-21-2006 07:41 PM

haha, they keep the student's name anonymous but they use his parent's full name. Classic.

KcMizzou 10-21-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd
Toy guns post no real harm, but for Shawnee Mission students they are now grounds for a firm punishment.

Well that's a relief. I was worried there for a while.

(And shouldn't it be "pose"? "pose no threat" maybe?)

Phobia 10-21-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie
haha, they keep the student's name anonymous but they use his parent's full name. Classic.

A parent, no doubt. Not necessarily the parent.

I think I'm going to turn myself into the authorities because I've committed some federal felonies in my schoolyard days. Lock me up.

Dark Horse 10-21-2006 07:52 PM

At some point people have got to draw the line, suspending the kid for a toy is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

JBucc 10-21-2006 07:59 PM

Damn, we used to have a bring your toy gun to school day. Times have changed.

Raiderhater 10-21-2006 08:05 PM

The pussification of America continues. How sad.

Dark Horse 10-21-2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiderhader
The pussification of America continues. How sad.

This goes way beyond that.

Raiderhater 10-21-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Horse
This goes way beyond that.

I happen to think it encapsulates the situation rather well.

Simplex3 10-21-2006 09:39 PM

I say we have a day where every student brings a toy gun to school. Let them kick every one of them out.

Guess I'll be voting to REMOVE all school board members at the next election.