ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Whitlock - No Hookup: A breakup for backup (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=152284)

Hammock Parties 11-16-2006 07:06 AM

Whitlock - No Hookup: A breakup for backup

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/16022860.htm

Damon Huard failed the booty-call test.

We’ve all been there, trying to turn a friends-with-benefits relationship into the real thing. It rarely works.

Herm Edwards put an end to his fling with Kansas City’s backup quarterback because Huard performed poorly once Herm broached the subject of taking their relationship to the next level.

Trent Green is KC’s No. 1 stunna, again. Edwards made the announcement on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after saying he’d make the announcement on Sunday and a full week after raising the possibility that Huard would retain the job.

Why the quick reversal?

Because experienced coaches think much the same way as experienced playas.

You don’t give your last name to the girl you wouldn’t initially give your home number. Not without putting her through a battery of excruciating, unfair tests. Huard’s rigged obstacle course came in Miami. The Chiefs scored 10 points, which surely caused Herm to reread his playabook.

Backup players often excel in a backup role, then quickly regress when given the responsibility of being a starter.

“I do what I do for a reason,” Edwards said of his last-week insinuation that Huard might keep the job. “I know why I did what I did, and it was for a purpose. It served its purpose, believe me.”

Edwards wanted to see Huard perform under the pressure of being a starter. It’s a different pressure from being a fill-in, especially at quarterback.

Against Miami, Huard looked like a backup. No doubt, the pass protection was terrible, the receivers played poorly and the play-calling was suspect, but Huard failed to elevate any aspect of Kansas City’s offense. He didn’t alleviate the pass-rush pressure by sidestepping a defender for an extra half-second to throw. He didn’t turn a bad play-call good by improvising. He didn’t verbally light into his receivers and inspire them to play at a higher level.

I’m not ripping Damon Huard. He’s earned much respect. He’s proved that he’s a viable backup quarterback in this league. He’s proved me wrong. I’m just trying to share with you why I believe Edwards is backpedaling and returning the team to Green.

Starting quarterbacks fix problems. Even in chaos, they elevate, they mask weaknesses. Against the Raiders this weekend, Huard might have done all those things and more. But you get only one shot to do it when the guy you’re filling in for has earned $50 million and has proved that he can elevate, improvise and lead.

It’s like dating a girl you know isn’t quite over that five-year relationship that ended with no real hard feelings. You know he’s out there lurking, just one I-miss-you drunk dial away from destroying two months of hard work.

You know you can’t be late for anything. You have to return every phone call or text message. You have to pretend you like all her friends. You have to do everything possible to give her the strength to stand strong when she inevitably talks to him again.

Trent Green stopped by Herm’s house Tuesday night around 8:30. Edwards said they “just talked.”

You’ve heard that one a million times: “We just talked. Nothing happened. I swear. … OK, I gave him a hug, but that was it. … Oh, that’s my brother’s XXL T-shirt on the bedroom floor. He came by to use my shower.”

I’m sure Green told his coach that he wanted his job back. He didn’t want to ease back into the lineup off the bench. In all likelihood, Green threw on the Jagged Edge song “Let’s Get Married” and told Herm to meet him at Arrowhead in his red vest; the Chiefs ain’t getting no younger and they might as well do this.

Herm, I’m sure, insisted that he first break it off with Damon, his rebound quarterback.

You can shed tears for Damon today, I guess. But he knew what the relationship was from the beginning. Herm never lied. He played the game the way it’s supposed to be played.

ChiefsKing 11-16-2006 07:30 AM

i feel dirty from reading that

MichaelH 11-16-2006 07:35 AM

He's written some really stupid articles in the past. This one surpasses them all. And to think, two weeks ago he was almost on a roll. :rolleyes:

NLU Tailgater 11-16-2006 08:07 AM

Very insightful Jason....
He has mastered the art of writing a column without any substance or need for interview/research/get off his A$# at all.

wilas101 11-16-2006 08:18 AM

He sounds kind of bitter to me.

His boyfriend must have dumped him.

Kerberos 11-16-2006 08:22 AM

He heard the local Sirloin Stockade Buffet was going to be down for a week and the Golden Corral right across the street has his name in lights near the OPEN and WELCOME signs.

Free Steak Buffet is toying with his emotions!

:)

jwhit 11-16-2006 08:27 AM

you guys can't be serious. the column was fun.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhit
you guys can't be serious. the column was fun.

It was an entertaining read, Jason. I liked it.

Stewie 11-16-2006 08:46 AM

I think Jason's writing is being influenced by ChiefsPlanet.

unlurking 11-16-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoAway
It was an entertaining read, Jason. I liked it.

That just means it belongs with the comics, not on the sports page.

stevieray 11-16-2006 08:49 AM

Once again, huard is one play from starting.

When is the last time we've had this much talent at the position?

I've never understood why this whole scenario carries so much weight, both Trent and Damon aren't me first players. It's a win/win situation, IMO.

Bob Dole 11-16-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

“I do what I do for a reason,” Edwards said of his last-week insinuation that Huard might keep the job. “I know why I did what I did, and it was for a purpose. It served its purpose, believe me.”
If Herm actually said that in the context of playing some sort of stupid ****ing mind game to see how Huard would handle the pressure of being the starting QB, Bob Dole would like to issue a big "**** you" to Mr. Rocket-Scientist-head-coach.

Thanks for the loss. Dipshit.

Lzen 11-16-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Backup players often excel in a backup role, then quickly regress when given the responsibility of being a starter.
Couldn't have said it better.

Quote:

He didn’t verbally light into his receivers and inspire them to play at a higher level.
I don't know about that. I saw some pretty nice grabs that bailed out Huard on questionable throws. At least Tony G. and EK made some great grabs, IMO.

Overall, the article was a little too gay. Jason, you got something you wanna tell us?

siberian khatru 11-16-2006 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
If Herm actually said that in the context of playing some sort of stupid ****ing mind game to see how Huard would handle the pressure of being the starting QB, Bob Dole would like to issue a big "**** you" to Mr. Rocket-Scientist-head-coach.

Thanks for the loss. Dipshit.

I took it even more cynically -- he's covering his ass. He was gonna keep Huard as the starter, but after a bad game he's gonna claim he was just "testing" Huard, and the guy failed, which makes Herm a genious*.

For some reason, it reminded me of when the Chiefs bombed the Rams in KC with an aerial attack in Gun's first years as HC, and afterward Gun comes out and says something like "that's what I'm about," like he's Mike F-ing Martz. It was just another instance of Gun modifying his statements to fit the moment, always changing his story.

* CP spelling

Fish 11-16-2006 09:09 AM

From the first sentence.... that article was just all wrong.........