ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The rules committee needs to review this... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154667)

htismaqe 12-18-2006 08:59 AM

The rules committee needs to review this...

Let me preface by saying:

I don't care that the Chiefs lost. They aren't a good team and this play really had no bearing on the overall fact that they lost.

The rules committee needs to examine the rules surrounding blocked punts. A blocked punt is an EXTRAORDINARY play that happens just a few times a season for the entire league. So why penalize a team for making an extraordinary play?

It's unexplainable to me how, on a 4th and 12, it's possible for the punting team to fall on the ball short of the 1st down and GET A 1ST DOWN.

The solution is simple. Instead of making the touch rule apply beyond the LOS, make it apply beyond the 1st down marker. The punting team should only be able to get a 1st down if the ball is advanced beyond the 1st down marker.

Hootie 12-18-2006 09:00 AM

Agreed 100%.

StcChief 12-18-2006 09:00 AM

Agreed. When I saw that last nite several of us were like WTF. That doesn't seem right at all.

ROYC75 12-18-2006 09:01 AM

Agreed .......... that was costly and degrading as a player to make a play.

bkkcoh 12-18-2006 09:01 AM

And the kicking team must recovery the balled behind the LOS unless the receiving team touches it first and unless possession of the ball had been established prior to the kicking team recovering the ball.

ChiTown 12-18-2006 09:01 AM

Completely agree!

Unless the receiving team shows possession of the ball, how can that even be close to a turnover. It's a BS rule that drastically altered the course of last nights game.

Mr. Kotter 12-18-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
Completely agree!

Unless the receiving team shows possession of the ball, how can that even be close to a turnover. It's a BS rule that drastically altered the course of last nights game.

My thoughts exactly. :clap:

Reerun_KC 12-18-2006 09:24 AM

I didnt even get upset over the play. Which is odd. But the fact remains is Ross touched the ball regardless if it was blocked or not. Would be the same as a punt and it is touched by a chief player and SD recovered.

Every coach who has ever coached football knows that you stay away from a blocked punt or a punt that is not fielded...

Looks like Ross isnt coached very well to me.

Rain Man 12-18-2006 09:30 AM

I think you can even apply the touch rule as it is now, but if they don't get a first down, then the ball is turned over on downs. It's the common-sense solution, which wasn't applied last night and cost us a playoff spot.

Iowanian 12-18-2006 09:32 AM

Dumbest Rule in the NFL.

Regardless of touching, the Chiefs didn't establish possession and fumble, and beyond that, Sandy Eggo Never crossed the first down marker.

Ridiculous.

As for blaming Ross.....idiotic. He had a ball bounce in front of him and tried to make a play....I can't imagine that wasn't the instinct of every player on the field in that spot.

If he catches that and runs it in, you're sucking his baows today.

If the punt is blocked, this rule is stupid. If the punt is downfield and the ball touches the gunner or something, it makes sense.

bkkcoh 12-18-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I think you can even apply the touch rule as it is now, but if they don't get a first down, then the ball is turned over on downs. It's the common-sense solution, which wasn't applied last night and cost us a playoff spot.

That should have been the ruling in the play last night. Enough yards wasn't gained for a first down, should have been turned over on downs...

:banghead:

And what the hell is a football move defined as???

htismaqe 12-18-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC
I didnt even get upset over the play. Which is odd. But the fact remains is Ross touched the ball regardless if it was blocked or not. Would be the same as a punt and it is touched by a chief player and SD recovered.

Every coach who has ever coached football knows that you stay away from a blocked punt or a punt that is not fielded...

Bullshit.

It's NOT the same as a punt because it's already BEEN TOUCHED by a receiving team player.

You just couldn't resist taking a shot at the coaching staff could you?

bkkcoh 12-18-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
Dumbest Rule in the NFL.

Regardless of touching, the Chiefs didn't establish possession and fumble, and beyond that, Sandy Eggo Never crossed the first down marker.

Ridiculous.

As for blaming Ross.....idiotic. He had a ball bounce in front of him and tried to make a play....I can't imagine that wasn't the instinct of every player on the field in that spot.

If he catches that and runs it in, you're sucking his baows today.

If the punt is blocked, this rule is stupid. If the punt is downfield and the ball touches the gunner or something, it makes sense.

not much difference between hero and goat on a play like that.... That was a turning point for the game. Either way it would have gone, it was a turning point....

ChiTown 12-18-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC

Are you serious?

JBucc 12-18-2006 09:38 AM

They should change the rule completely to where possesion has to be established by the receiving team on a punt before they can turn the ball over. What purpose do muffs and what happened yesterday serve other than another stupid turnover and momentum change that the team that just got stopped doesn't deserve?