ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   If you steal $7 million.... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=157146)

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2007 08:05 PM

If you steal $7 million....

...probably shouldn't spend it all at once. just sayin'

Bookkeeper Charged With Embezzling

By NANCY RABINOWITZ
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- A bookkeeper for a construction materials company embezzled $6.9 million and used the money to go on a shopping spree that included a 104-acre ranch and a half-dozen talking trees like those in "The Wizard of Oz," federal authorities said Monday.

Prosecutors say Angela Buckborough Platt also bought eight show horses; a fleet of motor vehicles including a 1964 Ford Thunderbird; a house on five acres in Rhode Island; Hollywood-grade cinematic props to decorate her home for Halloween; and a life-size ceramic statue of Al Capone.

Samantha Martin, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office, said that when friends or relatives asked Platt about her wealth, she told them that she was the CEO of a corporation or that she and her husband had won the lottery.

Platt, 43, of Wyoming, Pa., was charged Monday with one count of interstate transportation of stolen property. She has agreed to plead guilty in a deal subject to court approval, Martin said.

Platt, formerly of Cumberland, R.I., worked as a staff accountant for J&J Materials Corp. in Rehoboth from 1999 to 2006.

Authorities say that in June 2000, Platt began to write checks from company accounts to herself. The weekly deposits initially ranged from $2,000 to $5,000 but eventually neared $50,000, prosecutors said.

Her theft was discovered in June by another bookkeeper who had been newly hired to assist her.

"I'm not going to say anything one way or another, other than to say there is a plea agreement," said Platt's attorney, R. Bradford Bailey.

Martin said the agreement calls for Platt to spend between 46 and 57 months in prison.

J&J owner John Ferreira said he has received about $2 million in restitution so far, most of it in real estate, cars, horses and other items. He said Platt always seemed like a good employee.

"I'm angry, disappointed," Ferreira said. "She hurt a lot of people."

Buck 01-22-2007 08:07 PM

" A bookkeeper for a construction materials company embezzled $6.9 million and used the money to go on a shopping spree that included a 104-acre ranch and a half-dozen talking trees like those in "The Wizard of Oz," federal authorities said Monday."

WTF Talking Trees are real?

crazycoffey 01-22-2007 08:08 PM

here's a secret many in law enforcement don't want you in on.

cops only catch the dumb ones.

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2007 08:10 PM

had she only skimmed...you know like the guys in Office Space

Easy 6 01-22-2007 08:20 PM

Where's DeNiro's Jimmy Conway from Goodfella's tellin' her to take the Cadillac & fur coat back???

She'd wind up on a hook in a meat truck :bang:

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free
Where's DeNiro's Jimmy Conway from Goodfella's tellin' her to take the Cadillac & fur coat back???

that's exactly what popped up in my head
:clap:

Simplex3 01-22-2007 10:44 PM

If I stole $7M you'd find me in a non-extradition country.

listopencil 01-22-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding
" A bookkeeper for a construction materials company embezzled $6.9 million and used the money to go on a shopping spree that included a 104-acre ranch and a half-dozen talking trees like those in "The Wizard of Oz," federal authorities said Monday."

WTF Talking Trees are real?

Yeah, I know. That's the only part of this story that really caught my attention too.

Halfcan 01-22-2007 10:47 PM

Dumbass!

Rausch 01-22-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil
Yeah, I know. That's the only part of this story that really caught my attention too.

"I'd do two chicks...at the same time."

Rain Man 01-22-2007 11:23 PM

I wonder if this stuff is going to get auctioned off. I wouldn't mind having that ceramic statue of Al Capone.

trndobrd 01-22-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
If I stole $7M you'd find me in a non-extradition country.

If I stole $7m you wouldn't find me.

boogblaster 01-23-2007 12:00 AM

7 million.. a talkin tree.. sounds like a goverment cover-up....

Chiefs_Fan 01-23-2007 06:59 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

Kraut 01-23-2007 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free

:thumb: