ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   the people have spoken, NAACP not happy! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16366)

Archie F. Swin 04-18-2001 09:25 PM

JACKSON, Miss. — The NAACP raised the threat of an economic boycott Wednesday to drag Mississippi "kicking and screaming into the 21st century" after voters overwhelmingly decided to keep their 107-year-old state flag with the Confederate emblem.

C.R. Pants take: I'm the kind of person that thinks the more issues/regulations that are given the blessing of the voter, the better. This flag issue was handled admirably by The State of Mississippi and the citizen's voices have been heard. Voters elected to keep the flag that bears a likeness to the "stars and bars", so be it. Those who oppose must understand that democracy was given a fair shake here, and their opinion is not the popular one. Believe me, I know what its like to have a minoirty view. I feel the NAACP is an institution that has strong convictions about the peoples voices being heard. Well, The people have spoken . . . and if you(NAACP) are not content with the issue being settled in that fashion, tough titty.

morphius 04-18-2001 09:51 PM

I think it is sad that people feel the urge to hide history, and then can't even go with the vote when the people who this is supposed to offend voted not to get rid of the flag.

47mack 04-19-2001 04:19 AM

I think people need to take a stand against the NAACP. Oragnizations like that are what keep America divided. Maybe people should boycott them...withhold some donations. I don't think they would enjoy that.

Morph
I couldn't of said it better myself. History is what made who we are. Why try to hide it?

old_geezer 04-19-2001 05:04 AM

Liberals are for democracy only when the vote goes their way. If the vote goes against them then it's something to the effect of "we must do what's right no matter what the majority want." For some reason they don't believe conservatives have that same choice.

OK, I'm done venting - everyone (conservative or liberal) have a great day. :)

KCWolfman 04-19-2001 05:55 AM

Fact - Robert E. Lee did not own slaves. He believed that the idea would die morally with a few decades. Yet he fought for his banner which represented a way of life, not slavery.

Fact - The Confederate flag does not represent slavery.

Fact - More heinous acts have been committed under the Stars and Bars than under the Confederate Flag, yet no votes are made to remove it.

Fact - You (meaning the NAACP) have no right to legislate the State of Mississippi from another state..... shutup!

Archie F. Swin 04-19-2001 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by old_geezer
"we must do what's right no matter what the majority want."

OG,

Do you really think that this is strictly a Liberal view? Sounds like a non-conformist view to me. This sound like something that may have been said by many American individualists.

Quote:

Originally posted by KCWolfman
The Confederate flag does not represent slavery

Wolf,

The way I look at it is the Confederate flag represents a group of Americans that fought for certain rights. One of them being the right to own slaves.

KCWolfman 04-19-2001 06:26 AM

CRP - The Stars and Bars represent a country that intentionally infected indians with smallpox, separated blacks from the rest of the nation, and Oh Yes, Slavery. Have you started a petition to remove it from our Congressional Halls?

Archie F. Swin 04-19-2001 06:43 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not sure which flag you speak of when you say "stars & bars"

Once you clear things up, I can answer your question

NaptownChief 04-19-2001 07:07 AM

We could live in a perfect world and Kwasie Mfume would still be screaming and hollering. Cause the day he and the NAACP stop creating fear and rage amongst people is the day that they stop pouring donations into his pockets....And you can rest assured that ole Kwasie has no desire to obtain a real job anytime soon....

What the world needs, especially the black community, is more role models like Mfume running around trying to win the breeders cup by creating illegitimate children all over the country...Sheeese....

morphius 04-19-2001 07:28 AM

CRP - Stars and Bars = Stars and Stripes.

Yes it stood for a way of life, one in which the state had the rights to pick its laws and not be dictated to by a national gov't. Sure slavery was a large part of it, but from the beginning of the union there were many states that believed in states rights.

As a side note, it is my feeling that as technologies appeared slavery would have no longer been cost effect and too slow of a way to do things, and would have gone on the wayside all on its own. Of course we still have Africans selling Africans into slavery, but I know that is another story.

KCWolfman 04-19-2001 08:25 AM

Thanks Morph.

How is the family?

Dammit we are down 2-2 with the Kings now. It doesn't look like we will get revenge for last year.

CRP - ALL flags of all nations have committed and supported various atrocities. To single out one is just crazy

Archie F. Swin 04-19-2001 08:53 AM

i've always associated the moniker "stars & bars" to the flags of the Confederacy. That's how I referenced it in the original thread. I've never called the current US flag the stars and bars . . . sorry for the confusion.

I dont care to stray from the topic. What I'm talking about is the black man's attempt to rid state flags of Confederate symbolism. I feel this particular attempt is a little overwrought. I'm not here to debate what evil things flags stand for.

Logical 04-19-2001 09:33 AM

CRP,

Are you supporting the position that despite the majority of the popular vote in Mississippi changing the flag must still be pursued?

If the answer is yes, then how do you feel about your fellow liberals argument last fall that Gore should have been President just because the popular vote totals went his way, despite the fact the system is not set up to elect the winner of the popular vote. Also did you agree because that did not work out for Gore that the Constitutionally mandated Electoral College should be abandoned to make the popular vote the final decision?

If the answer to the last two questions were you did support the popular vote being the final arbiter is it not inconsistent to now say that despite the majorities position in Mississippi the changing of the flag should still be pursued?

Looking for consistency of Logic

morphius 04-19-2001 10:12 AM

Logical - I think it can be said that the electoral college his how the Presidential Race is won, since it is the only thing that people in multiple states get to vote in, everything else is done by popular vote.

So it is not inconsistent to have a state vote on a state issue decide that issue.

morphius 04-19-2001 10:22 AM

kcwolfman - They are doing okay, the wife is getting around much better.

I can't believe they choked a 3-0 lead last night and then lost in overtime, not to say that I didn't celebrate it, but still couldn't believe it after the first two games.

Of course the Av's swept :)