ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New WoW expansion announced (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=167025)

shrek6849 08-03-2007 02:20 PM

New WoW expansion announced

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176147...stnews;title;0

BlizzCon 07: Second WOW expansion officially unveiled

Blizzard takes the wraps off Wrath of the Lich King at its annual event in Anaheim; expansion will add continent of Northrend to MMORPG.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Aug 3, 2007 12:19 pm PT

ANAHEIM, Calif.--Following two very public leaks in Germany and the US, Blizzard Entertainment surprised virtually no one today when it announced the second expansion to its wildly popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game, World of Warcraft. Titled the Wrath of the Lich King, the expansion will add a passel of new content to the game, which now boasts a staggering 9 million players worldwide.

The announcement was made by Blizzard's Frank Pierce this morning at BlizzCon, the Vivendi Games-owned publisher's annual fan event. First, he briefly talked about some content updates that introduce guild banks and integrated voice chat via live content updates. Then he discussed Zuluman, a new 10-person instance in the Ghost Lands featuring Forest Trolls battling against Blood Elves.

Then, after coyly mentioning that Blizzard's "dev team has been working on bigger things," Pierce officially unveiled Wrath of the Lich King. The expansion will open up the continent of Northrend--first seen in Warcraft III--to WOW players for the first time.

The expansion's storyline will center on the lich king Arthas Menethil, who was prominently featured in the expansion Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Arthas has "merged with the spirit" of another lich king, Ner'zhul, the former orc shaman and Undead Scourge leader introduced in Warcraft II: The Tides of Darkness. Now, the joined ghostly monarchs have "set things in motion that could threaten all life in Azeroth," according to Pierce. Apparently, players will be introduced to the story as soon as they set foot into Northrend.

Wrath of the Lich King will raise the level cap in WOW to 80 and will add new abilities and talents to all classes. It will also introduce the Death Knight hero class and a new profession--inscription--that will let players permanently enhance spells and abilities. The expansion will also add new character-customization options, such as hairstyles and dances.

As for Northrend itself, the realm will feature several new zones to explore, with "hundreds of new quests, monsters, and items," according to Pierce. The expansion pack will also introduce numerous five-person dungeons, as well as 10- and 25-person raids.

Pierce also said Blizzard developers have big player-versus-player plans for Wrath of the Lich King. The add-on will sport new areas and battlegrounds, and will add siege weapons for the first time. It will also introduce buildings that can be destroyed by siege weapons, adding another level to combat.

Pierce's presentation concluded with the first trailer for World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. The cinematic began with a voice-over of Arthas telling two humans in a burning forest that "I was once like you." After some shots of a massive forge, two other humans--a male and female--are shown being battered by a gigantic Yeti. The male runs off into a snowy forest, where he is surrounded by undead. The next shot shows the male human in black Death Knight armor, standing before a seated Arthas on a throne. "In the final hour, all must serve the one true king," proclaimed Arthas before the convention center lights came up.

Blizzard did not announce a release date for Wrath of the Lich King. However, the first WOW expansion, The Burning Crusade, arrived approximately 15 months after being introduced at BlizzCon in October 2005.

[UPDATE] Shortly after the conclusion of the Lich King presentation, the official Web site for the game went online.

RedDread 08-03-2007 02:35 PM

damn, beat me to it.

I can't wait to see what other Hero Classes they introduce aside from Death Knight. Sounds like fun to play but not really my style.

C'mon Farseer, Witch Doctor, or Spirit Walker!

Simply Red 08-03-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread
damn, beat me to it.

I can't wait to see what other Hero Classes they introduce aside from Death Knight. Sounds like fun to play but not really my style.

C'mon Farseer, Witch Doctor, or Spirit Walker!

LLEEEEEEEERRRROOOOYYYYYY JJJJJEEENNNKKKKKKIIINNS!!!

Saulbadguy 08-03-2007 03:15 PM

I'll probably quit before then.

pikesome 08-03-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I'll probably quit before then.

I quit before the first expansion, was a good move but every once in a while I have to fight the urge. I enjoyed WoW quite a bit.

KcMizzou 08-03-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikesome
I quit before the first expansion, was a good move but every once in a while I have to fight the urge. I enjoyed WoW quite a bit.

It's a good game... I still play, but not like I used to.

I don't have the urge to keep up. When I play now, It's generally with a couple RL friends. I'll play some background music on the old winamp, drink some beer and go "pewpew" some stuff.

I have to admit, the occasional upgrade still makes me happy, though. :)

Silock 08-03-2007 08:59 PM

****. I haven't even gotten a character to 70 yet.

Nightwish 08-03-2007 09:28 PM

Wow, that was quick. They just came out with Burning Crusade, and they've already got another one?

Silock 08-03-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwish
Wow, that was quick. They just came out with Burning Crusade, and they've already got another one?

Well, they've got it planned, which is a bit different, considering it's going to be over a year before it's released.

pikesome 08-04-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock
Well, they've got it planned, which is a bit different, considering it's going to be over a year before it's released.

And then another 6 months because Blizzard never releases on time.

oaklandhater 08-04-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwish

there trying to release em once a year man.

kcxiv 08-05-2007 01:51 PM

Friend of mine gave me one of his accounts. *yay, i dont have to pay for it* anyways, i havent played since the end of 2005. Trying to get the hang of it. one thing thats good is i dont have to level over again.

keg in kc 08-05-2007 06:03 PM

fuck me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pikesome

Ditto.

I had an awful urge to start up again with Burning Crusade, but didn't. Here we go again.

Worst part is that I'm beta-testing another game (NDA!) right now that has me hooked about as bad as WoW did.

I think I need to start a 12-step group.

Hydrae 08-05-2007 07:57 PM

After over 2 1/2 years am still playing this silly game and enjoying it. I mostly quest with my kids since we got a second account a few months ago (that was the purpose of the second account once I had a second computer that could handle it). Good thing I have never really gotten into the end-game instances or I would really be in trouble with the wife!

Valiant 08-06-2007 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae
After over 2 1/2 years am still playing this silly game and enjoying it. I mostly quest with my kids since we got a second account a few months ago (that was the purpose of the second account once I had a second computer that could handle it). Good thing I have never really gotten into the end-game instances or I would really be in trouble with the wife!

Tell me about it.. Just bought a epic flyer and running Kara and Gruul's... I only play a few hours a night, 4-5 tops... Have a friend who plays 6-10 hours a day when he is not working and already are doing BT and Mt. Hyjal weekly..