ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ben Steins Movie - EXPELLED (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181568)

SLAG 03-13-2008 04:16 PM

Ben Steins Movie - EXPELLED

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iV8sN1UngFY&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iV8sN1UngFY&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Looks interesting I thought

keg in kc 03-13-2008 04:20 PM

I predict that any discussion on this will inevitably be Expelled to DC.

irishjayhawk 03-13-2008 05:26 PM

Unfortunately, it's been intellectually dishonest all the way through the entire production as well as in the screening of the film.

First, they secured interviews with certain people under false pretenses. They interviewed PZ Myers, a professor at the University of Minnesota-Morris. You can read the massive coverage of Expelled the movies and it's sneaky tactics by searching the ScienceBlogs site. They secured an interview with Richard Dawkins as well.

Essentially, they told disinformation to hide their true agenda, got the interviews granted on false pretenses, changed to the true pretenses and touted the interviews.

Then, they pulled stunts on the screening of the film.

There's so much bad press for this film it's funny. Not to mention that the reviews about the credibility of the film have been not so shiny.

Has anyone found any good press from this movie?

gta0012 03-13-2008 05:50 PM

Yea well pretty much the same thing Michael fat ass Moore did with his film and people felt he was brilliant, and not a fat ass deceiving bastard child.

Take the movie as thought provoking and it could be great.

And FYI....Einstein was quoted with saying something like "the world is too perfect for there not to be a creator/god etc."

And i think Ben Stein is taking a decent view point that scientists who believe in an intelligent creator should not be shunned and making scientists who don't believe this look like close minded fools.

I don't think that is a proper categorization. I think many scientists would have no problem with a theory if they could back it up with data and factual evidence. Scientists are probably sick of hearing very religious people back up theories with "facts" that are no were near being factual enough for science. Ben feeds off this and creates this documentary.

Oh well i still think one could walk away from it learning a thing or two about both sides.

mikey23545 03-13-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4629747)
Unfortunately, it's been intellectually dishonest all the way through the entire production as well as in the screening of the film.

First, they secured interviews with certain people under false pretenses. They interviewed PZ Myers, a professor at the University of Minnesota-Morris. You can read the massive coverage of Expelled the movies and it's sneaky tactics by searching the ScienceBlogs site. They secured an interview with Richard Dawkins as well.

Essentially, they told disinformation to hide their true agenda, got the interviews granted on false pretenses, changed to the true pretenses and touted the interviews.

Then, they pulled stunts on the screening of the film.

There's so much bad press for this film it's funny. Not to mention that the reviews about the credibility of the film have been not so shiny.

Has anyone found any good press from this movie?

You are too good to be true! ROFL
I really thought you were doing a parody of a Michael Moore critic, and then I realized you were dead serious!!!

You have a fantastic career ahead of you as an "unintentional comedian"...

irishjayhawk 03-13-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 4629863)
You are too good to be true! ROFL
I really thought you were doing a parody of a Michael Moore critic, and then I realized you were dead serious!!!

You have a fantastic career ahead of you as an "unintentional comedian"...

Care to point out what exactly was funny about it or what exactly I'm wrong about?

Hammock Parties 03-13-2008 06:16 PM

god lol

mikey23545 03-13-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4629865)
Care to point out what exactly was funny about it or what exactly I'm wrong about?

Stop it! You're killing me!

Fish 03-13-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gta0012 (Post 4629825)
Yea well pretty much the same thing Michael fat ass Moore did with his film and people felt he was brilliant, and not a fat ass deceiving bastard child.

Take the movie as thought provoking and it could be great.

And FYI....Einstein was quoted with saying something like "the world is too perfect for there not to be a creator/god etc."

And i think Ben Stein is taking a decent view point that scientists who believe in an intelligent creator should not be shunned and making scientists who don't believe this look like close minded fools.

I don't think that is a proper categorization. I think many scientists would have no problem with a theory if they could back it up with data and factual evidence. Scientists are probably sick of hearing very religious people back up theories with "facts" that are no were near being factual enough for science. Ben feeds off this and creates this documentary.

Oh well i still think one could walk away from it learning a thing or two about both sides.

He he..... using Einstein as an example?

You got that quote a little wrong...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

Quote:

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Quote:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

just sayin....

Extra Point 03-13-2008 06:22 PM

"Diabolic theocratic conspirators" trying to push their thoughts into the classroom. Dorothy, I'm still in Kansas. They haven't seen fossils in the Flint Hills.

Third Eye 03-13-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 4629894)
He he..... using Einstein as an example?

You got that quote a little wrong...

just sayin....

I don't think that contradicts his paraphrasing of the quote. He never said Einstein believed in a biblical type god, merely a creator, which your quotes back up. I myself tend to fall in this category.

Edit: perhaps creator is not the right choice of words. Maybe the Aristotelian "prime mover" or the Spinozan "Deus sive natura" are more correct.

irishjayhawk 03-13-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Point (Post 4629901)
"Diabolic theocratic conspirators" trying to push their thoughts into the classroom. Dorothy, I'm still in Kansas. They haven't seen fossils in the Flint Hills.

No, no, that's all wrong. It's easy: God placed fossils on earth to test us.

Ultra Peanut 03-13-2008 07:18 PM

Want to teach kids something in their science classes? I've got this wacky idea called teach something scientific.

But yeah, I'm sure the judge in Kitzmiller v. Dover, who was appointed by GWB and is buddies with Rick Santorum, was just one of them lieberal activist judges who hates Jesus. How unfair, keeping the door from being opened to any ridiculous belief that has enough people who follow it to make enough noise.

Hammock Parties 03-13-2008 07:19 PM

jesus lol

RealSNR 03-13-2008 07:44 PM

Was Meyer's paper credible and valid? They don't mention a single word if it was or wasn't in the preview.

My guess is that it wasn't and scientists were upset with him for pushing agenda before actual science even if the science he does bring up doesn't work at all. Science isn't about picking a conclusion and trying to map a way there... it's about research and study. If that leads to an answer to your question, then so be it. Otherwise, GTFO.

I don't think I'll see this movie. I didn't even know such a thing was out and it turns out it already happened.