ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Curry will return for Junior season: (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182301)

POND_OF_RED 03-31-2008 06:51 AM

Curry will return for Junior season:

:clap: This kid is fun to watch. I'm surprised he made his decision so quickly. Hopefully they can make another run next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...ory?id=3321332

DETROIT -- It's safe to say that at some point watching Stephen Curry nail NBA 3-pointers against Wisconsin, LeBron James thought about penetrating and dishing to the Davidson sharpshooter.

He and any other NBA players will have to wait.

After Kansas ended Davidson's dream run in the NCAA tournament on Sunday, Curry said that he will return to school for his junior season.

"I'm definitely coming back," he said. "I don't think I'm ready."

Speculation began after the son of former NBA player Del Curry went off for 40 points in a first-round win over Gonzaga. Thirty more points in a victory over Georgetown turned whispers into questions. The uproar began, though, when Curry dropped 33 points on Wisconsin to carry the Wildcats into the Elite Eight -- with Cleveland Cavaliers star James in attendance.

Curry, who averaged 25.9 points for 29-7 Davidson this season, wanted to quiet the rumors. He also gave his coach a big present and incentive to stay at the mid-major.

A source close to Davidson coach Bob McKillop told ESPN.com that Rice recently made a major play for him. The return of Curry makes any decision McKillop might need to make that much more interesting.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Curry made one of his patented NBA-range 3-pointers with 55 seconds left on Sunday to pull Davidson within two of Kansas, but the Wildcats could get no closer. He finished with 25 points and was named Most Outstanding Player of the Midwest Regional.

His streak of 30-point games in the tournament was snapped, but Curry's legend only grew because he was still able to score against four different Jayhawks determined to stop him.

Top-seeded Kansas, though, made him put up a lot of shots to nearly double the total of any other player in the Midwest Regional final.

He was 9-of-25 -- 4-of-16 on 3-pointers -- and made all three of his free throws.

With his first 3-pointer, he broke an NCAA single-season record -- surpassing the 158 Butler's Darrin Fitzgerald made during the 1986-87 season.

Curry became just the fourth player to score at least 30 points in his first four NCAA tournament games, quickly became the face of college basketball's signature event and had NBA scouts watching his games a little more closely.

They'll have to keep watching next season.

DaKCMan AP 03-31-2008 07:31 AM

There's no reason for him to leave. He doesn't need money, he still can improve his game a lot and he gets to enjoy the college life. It's not like he'd be a sure-fire lottery pick as a 6'3" guard.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-31-2008 08:22 AM

He is really fun to watch, a pretty level headed kid. Through this whole tourney i see kids making big shot and talking smack afterwards. I never saw Curry do anything like that. Its really rare to see a kid good as he is and then his maturity level is off the charts.

Ceej 03-31-2008 08:36 AM

Helluva ballplayer. The only thing that bothers me about him is the fact that he has one of those moustaches that everyone was mesmerized about.... in the 5th grade.

DaFace 03-31-2008 08:44 AM

If I weren't rooting for KU yesterday, it would have been fun to see him take Davidson, who otherwise has no business even being in the tournament, to the final four.

MIAdragon 03-31-2008 08:45 AM

Not very smart IMO his draft stock will NEVER be higher than it is right now.

Direckshun 03-31-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 4659162)

Right.

And he's likely to face a season where he's going to be smothered in every single game for his entire junior year.

MIAdragon 03-31-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 4659163)
Right.

And he's likely to face a season where he's going to be smothered in every single game for his entire junior year.

lol did I say that? Had you herd of this kid before the tournament? Didn’t think so. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

DaKCMan AP 03-31-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 4659162)

Meh. 6'3" shooting guards aren't highly valued in the NBA draft anyway. As long as he remains a 1st round selection he's guaranteed a 3yr contract. His dad played for 16 years in the NBA and is now an assistant coach for the Charlotte Bobcats. so there aren't the huge financial considerations/needs that many other players have (similar situation as Joakim Noah, Al Horford and Taureen Green returning for Florida).

ChiefsFanatic 03-31-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 4659159)
If I weren't rooting for KU yesterday, it would have been fun to see him take Davidson, who otherwise has no business even being in the tournament, to the final four.

29-6, Conference champs, played a great non-con schedule, barely lost to UNC and DUKE, ended the season ranked in the top 25, and didn't deserve to be there?

I think they deserved it, and they should have been more than a 10 seed. They finished the season ranked #23.

ChiefsFanatic 03-31-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 4659168)
lol did I say that? Had you herd of this kid before the tournament? Didn’t think so. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

He was number four in scoring for the season, and got some pub during their non-con against UNC, DUKE and UCLA

DaFace 03-31-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4659227)
29-6, Conference champs, played a great non-con schedule, barely lost to UNC and DUKE, ended the season ranked in the top 25, and didn't deserve to be there?

I think they deserved it, and they should have been more than a 10 seed. They finished the season ranked #23.

If I didn't make it clear, I meant that they wouldn't have been there if it weren't for Curry. With him, I agree with what you said.

DaKCMan AP 03-31-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 4659159)

Ignorance. Davidson has made the tourney 5 times in the last 10 years and this year was their 3rd tourney appearance in a row. That means they made it in 2007 when Curry was a freshman and in 2006, when he wasn't even there.

ChiefsFanatic 03-31-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 4659232)
If I didn't make it clear, I meant that they wouldn't have been there if it weren't for Curry. With him, I agree with what you said.

Ok, I can agree with that. Curry is definately the reason they made it that far. I think Bob Mcketchup is a really good coach, though. I cant believe that he is still at Davidson after 19 years.

DaFace 03-31-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4659236)
Ignorance. Davidson has made the tourney 5 times in the last 10 years and this year was their 3rd tourney appearance in a row. That means they made it in 2007 when Curry was a freshman and in 2006, when he wasn't even there.

Eh, if you say so. He accounted for over one-third of the team's total points this season. They're a good team, but without him, I don't think they make it out of the first round if they make the tourney at all.