ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poz: That was some feeling when Chalmers hit the shot (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182657)

BigRedChief 04-07-2008 11:27 PM

Poz: That was some feeling when Chalmers hit the shot

http://www.kansascity.com/180/v-print/story/565754.html

SAN ANTONIO | As soon as Mario Chalmers’ shot went up in this wild Kansas-Memphis championship game, you could feel that crazy twist in your stomach. It’s going in. It’s the same feeling that every sports fan has in the last second, when the last Hail Mary is thrown, when the last fly ball is hit, when the last putt is curling toward the hole.

Of course, most of the time the Hail Mary is knocked away, the last fly ball dies at the warning track, the last putt breaks left of the hole. And the last shot usually hits the rim and bounces away. Great finishes, like straight flushes, rarely come through.

Only, when Chalmers shot the ball — well, the feeling was alive. It’s going in. This game had been over. Memphis had led by nine with 2:12 left. Kansas had started fouling. The rest of the game seemed as scripted as a sitcom. Kansas would foul, Memphis would make enough free throws, the Jayhawks would lose valiantly.

Then again, people said that free throws might come back to haunt Memphis. Right? People had been saying that all year. The Tigers had vowed to solve the problem, and they made their first two free throws.
Then Memphis’ Chris Douglas-Roberts missed one. Then he missed a shot. Then he missed two more free throws. And suddenly the game had started to turn back, Kansas’ Russell Robinson made a huge steal, Sherron Collins made a huge three-pointer, Darrell Arthur made a huge shot — well, you know they’re all huge. And Kansas cut into the lead.

With 10 seconds left, Memphis’ Derrick Rose — who had been absolutely magnificent, it’s no wonder that some NBA teams are now talking about him as the No. 1 overall pick ahead of Michael Beasley — had two free throws that would have put away the game. He missed the first one. Memphis only led by three. There was still that crazy hope sports fans have.

The Jayhawks rushed the ball up the floor. It seemed likely that Memphis would try to foul to prevent Kansas from shooting the three-pointer. The Tigers didn’t. The ball worked around to Mario Chalmers, who came off a screen, and he had a hand in his face and he fired a very high three-pointer.

You know, heartbreak has followed this Kansas program like a stray dog. There was the three-overtime loss in ’57 with Wilt Chamberlain at the center. There was the 1997 loss to Arizona when Kansas had, perhaps, the best team in its history. There was the championship-game loss to Syracuse when Nick Collison, as solid a player as the Jayhawks have ever had, could not make a free throw.

And now there was this team, this gifted, intense and tough team that Bill Self had put together. These Jayhawks could play fast with North Carolina, and they could play slow with Davidson. They could beat you with speed, with defense, with athletic ability, with precision passing, with high-flying dunks.

For most of this game, the Jayhawks had done what many thought they could not do — they played Memphis’ talent even, they had matched all of Memphis’ athletic ability, they had run the floor with Memphis, they had flown above the rim with Memphis.

And now, Chalmers shot the ball over two outstretched hands, and the ball was in the air, the shot was heading for the basket, and that feeling was all over the Alamodome. It’s going in.
The basketball swished through.

It is now the greatest shot in Kansas basketball history. That’s all. After it went through, Kansas could not lose. There was no way. Memphis’ great players had been knocked out by the shot. The Jayhawks rolled in the overtime, winning 75-68. Confetti fell from the ceiling. There were tears. Hugs. More tears.

It had been a long time at Kansas. It had been a long time since there had been a champion in the Heartland. “This is for you,” Kansas coach Bill Self said to

ArrowheadHawk 04-07-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4673120)
“This is for you,” Kansas coach Bill Self said

We love you too Bill. Please Stay.

Reerun_KC 04-07-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 4673125)
We love you too Bill. Please Stay.

Please give Self a lifetime contract at KU....

Phobia 04-07-2008 11:36 PM

Any dude with a hyphenated last name deserves to miss free throws.

BigRedChief 04-08-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4673147)
Any dude with a hyphenated last name deserves to miss free throws.

Coaches who don't foul when the other team needs 3 points to win doesn't deserve to win.

Coaches who don't call timeout with 2 seconds left don't deserve it either.

Self out coached his counterpart.

teedubya 04-08-2008 12:49 AM

When Mario nailed this shot, I knew we would win the championship, and I started to cry a bit. One massive tear.

acesn8s 04-08-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4673261)
Coaches who don't foul when the other team needs 3 points to win doesn't deserve to win.

Coaches who don't call timeout with 2 seconds left don't deserve it either.

Self out coached his counterpart.

again

acesn8s 04-08-2008 12:57 AM

At least Bill Self did something Roy couldn't....win the championship as a Jayhawk.

wazu 04-08-2008 12:59 AM

That shot was unreal. I'll remember it forever, and don't expect to see it's equal in my lifetime.

BigRedChief 04-08-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 4673269)
That shot was unreal. I'll remember it forever, and don't expect to see it's equal in my lifetime.

The steal and 3 pointer by Collins was a good one for the ages also.

wazu 04-08-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4673273)
The steal and 3 pointer by Collins was a good one for the ages also.

Yeah, it got one-uped, though. Kansas fans will remember the Collins steal/shot, all basketball fans will remember the Chalmers score.

acesn8s 04-08-2008 01:11 AM

How do you remember the shot? Real time speed or the slow motion heart pounding intense hold your breathe speed?

PhillyChiefFan 04-08-2008 05:10 AM

I freaked out in my apartment and my fiancee was sleeping next to me, and I scared her to death. It was a fitting end to one of the best college games, let alone championships, I have ever seen...and for once my team won.

ChiefsFan4Life 04-08-2008 05:19 AM

Awesome article, awesome game, awesome everything

That was amazing

Ultra Peanut 04-08-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

And suddenly the game had started to turn back, Kansas’ Russell Robinson made a huge steal, Sherron Collins made a huge three-pointer, Darrell Arthur made a huge shot — well, you know they’re all huge.
Even more than the free throws, that was the game.

We were up by 7. GOD ****ING DAMNIT, we were up by 7. And we were never the same again.