ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Give me your method of cooking ribs on the grill. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187955)

ROYC75 07-27-2008 10:12 AM

Give me your method of cooking ribs on the grill.

I want to try something different than I normally use today.

So give me something ........... QUICKLY !

ROYC75 07-27-2008 10:14 AM

I'll be back in 30 minutes to get the info. Gotta go to the store and pick III up. BRB.

kstater 07-27-2008 10:15 AM

Fire and meat, what other method is there?

Dartgod 07-27-2008 10:16 AM

What kind of ribs?

BigVE 07-27-2008 10:17 AM

Cook 'em slow and keep the heat low. No rushing allowed.

2112 07-27-2008 10:19 AM

Baby back pork ribs. soak them in apple cider vinegar for a couple of hours and then give them a light dusting of lowry seasoned salt on both sides right before you throw them on the grill. cook them on low heat for about 45 minutes to an hour (turning often). they will be crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I hate ribs with that shit sauce smothered all over them.

ROYC75 07-27-2008 10:20 AM

OK, you caught me before I got away, got both, pork spare and baby backs.

Just wanna try something different for a change......

RibKing67 07-27-2008 10:21 AM

If I am gonna grill um and not smoke em I will put a dry rub on them first and then stick them in the oven around 350 for about 30-45 min then put them out on the grill on med to med low heat for around 30 mins untill done. While they are on the grill I will baste them in BBQ sauce. Hope this helps. I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong, so feel free to do it how you wish.

ROYC75 07-27-2008 10:22 AM

Carrie usually boils them 1st, but I'm going to be in the yard all day with III and the grandsons doing yard work, I got all afternoon to slow cook them.

What method do you guys use and what type of rubs, sauces, etc.

Bugeater 07-27-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RibKing67 (Post 4872031)
If I am gonna grill um and not smoke em I will put a dry rub on them first and then stick them in the oven around 350 for about 30-45 min then put them out on the grill on med to med low heat for around 30 mins untill done. While they are on the grill I will baste them in BBQ sauce. Hope this helps. I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong, so feel free to do it how you wish.

We do something similar, except I grill them first and then put them in the oven for a couple hours afterwards. I'm not sure what temp the Mrs sets the oven at but I think it's lower than 350. Phobia will say it's cheating but I don't have a smoker and it's better than trying to keep charcoal going in my grill for 3 hours.

BigVE 07-27-2008 10:32 AM

Everyone's tastes are different when it comes to BBQ....do it however YOU like it and if YOU like it then it's good. Right? We aint in no stinking cook off. Who cares what someone else thinks about your/my/his/our method...cook it, eat it, enjoy.

RJ 07-27-2008 10:45 AM

Some of this depends on the type of grill you have. I have a Weber 22" kettle and they're fairly common so we'll work with that.

Apply a dry rub. Use your favorite recipe or use the jar of rib rub in the spice cabinet or ask around here. You can let the ribs marinate in the rub or cook them right away, depends on how much time you have.

Next, start your coals. When they are completely ashed over, separate the into two mounds on either side of your grill. Then place a water pan - I just use a cheap aluminum pan - between the coals and fill it about half with water. Cover the grill and let the heat skow down, maybe ten minutes.

Now, if you have some wood chips - soaked for an hour or so - add them to the fire and then place your ribs over the water pan bone side down. Close the lid and go away for about an hour. When you come back apply some mop sauce to the ribs - again, your favorite recipe or ask around - cover and start up some more coals in a chimney starter or coffee can or whatever. Add bout 20 or so coals. After about 2 hours you may wish to wrap the ribs in foil, then cook for another 30 minutes.

That's the basics for a Weber kettle grill.

2112 07-27-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 4872073)
Some of this depends on the type of grill you have. I have a Weber 22" kettle and they're fairly common so we'll work with that.

Apply a dry rub. Use your favorite recipe or use the jar of rib rub in the spice cabinet or ask around here. You can let the ribs marinate in the rub or cook them right away, depends on how much time you have.

Next, start your coals. When they are completely ashed over, separate the into two mounds on either side of your grill. Then place a water pan - I just use a cheap aluminum pan - between the coals and fill it about half with water. Cover the grill and let the heat skow down, maybe ten minutes.

Now, if you have some wood chips - soaked for an hour or so - add them to the fire and then place your ribs over the water pan bone side down. Close the lid and go away for about an hour. When you come back apply some mop sauce to the ribs - again, your favorite recipe or ask around - cover and start up some more coals in a chimney starter or coffee can or whatever. Add bout 20 or so coals. After about 2 hours you may wish to wrap the ribs in foil, then cook for another 30 minutes.

That's the basics for a Weber kettle grill.

:eek:

Holy shit!

RJ 07-27-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4872079)
:eek:

Holy shit!

Heh, it's not near as much work as it might sound. Basically it just turns your Weber into a makeshift water smoker. The results are excellent and it's something to do while you drink beer. And then there's the fact I'm a geek, but that's another story.

I don't do it like that anymore, though, since I gots me my smoker!

2112 07-27-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 4872097)
Heh, it's not near as much work as it might sound. Basically it just turns your Weber into a makeshift water smoker. The results are excellent and it's something to do while you drink beer. And then there's the fact I'm a geek, but that's another story.

I don't do it like that anymore, though, since I gots me my smoker!

I would be falling down drunk by the time I ate anything if I did it that way. :D

Thanks for the tips though. most of us east coasters use gas grills. the art of charcoal bar-b-qing here has gone the way of the stone age.