ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football McCoy staying in school (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=198026)

Sure-Oz 12-08-2008 05:25 PM

McCoy staying in school

No real suprise...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3754860

Texas' McCoy 'not going anywhere,' QB tells newspaper
ESPN.com news services

Texas Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy will return for his senior season, the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday on its Web site.

"I'm not going anywhere," McCoy told the newspaper.

McCoy, who had previously said he would file paperwork to receive feedback from an NFL advisory committee about his draft prospects, is hungry for a national title after the Longhorns fell just short of a berth in the BCS championship game, the Statesman reported.

"I'm coming back because we have a solid coaching staff," McCoy said. "And I'm coming back because I feel like I can develop the young receivers we have."

The Longhorns (11-1), who will face Ohio State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 5, finished the regular season ranked third in the BCS standings behind Oklahoma and Florida.

McCoy, a redshirt junior, said Monday he had also decided against testing the waters for the draft or seeking an evaluation for his coaches at UT from the NFL.

McCoy set team records this season with 3,445 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. The Heisman Trophy contender also led the team in rushing with 576 yards.

McCoy had hinted before that he would stay for a fourth year at Texas.

"I've been blessed to be able to play here," McCoy told The Sporting News in October. "Not very many people get to [start] here for four years, so what an opportunity."

MIAdragon 12-08-2008 05:27 PM

not a big shock

royr17 12-08-2008 06:10 PM

Nope not a big shock at all, plus I also wouldnt be too surprised if Sam Brandon decided to stay in college, the real shocker however would be Matt Stafford staying in college, Mark Sanchez needs to stay in college.

OnTheWarpath15 12-08-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 5279762)
Nope not a big shock at all, plus I also wouldnt be too surprised if Sam Brandon decided to stay in college, the real shocker however would be Matt Stafford staying in college, Mark Sanchez needs to stay in college.

Hell, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay had a segment on ESPN a month or so ago, and they both said that Stafford should stay in school, even though they know he won't.

Shag 12-08-2008 06:23 PM

Assuming Bradford looks at least decent in the BCS game, his stock is going to be quite high - I can see him coming out. McShay said today that he rates Bradford higher than Stafford, and I'm guessing there will be some others, too. I'm not sure how much he would gain by staying in school, especially with 2-3 teams with very high picks possibly looking for QBs...

royr17 12-08-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 5279801)
Assuming Bradford looks at least decent in the BCS game, his stock is going to be quite high - I can see him coming out. McShay said today that he rates Bradford higher than Stafford, and I'm guessing there will be some others, too. I'm not sure how much he would gain by staying in school, especially with 2-3 teams with very high picks possibly looking for QBs...

I dont believe Bradford will come out. I think he'll stay in college. Stafford I see more then likely coming out. But I dont see Bradford coming out.

royr17 12-08-2008 06:26 PM

The one that is more sure to come out is Tim Tebow over any of those two.

chiefs1111 12-08-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 5279807)
The one that is more sure to come out is Tim Tebow over any of those two.

Tebow was leaning towards staying for his senior season. He may change his mind if they win the NC though.

royr17 12-08-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 5279826)
Tebow was leaning towards staying for his senior season. He may change his mind if they win the NC though.

Well my thinking is that if they win the NC and he wins the Heisman again that he'll come out.

royr17 12-08-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 5279826)

He also may change his mind if the scouts sat there and tell him that he'll be a sure fire first round pick.

BWillie 12-08-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 5279805)
I dont believe Bradford will come out. I think he'll stay in college. Stafford I see more then likely coming out. But I dont see Bradford coming out.

I disagree, with the O line, the 5 star receivers he has, and all of the weapons he has on offense he isn't going to have much of a better year than he's had now. I wouldn't say he has limited skills, but he doesn't have the sky is the limit potential like Stafford does and this year's draft is going to be weak on QB's anyway. If I was Bradford it would be stupid to stay in school IMO.

OnTheWarpath15 12-08-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 5279858)
Well my thinking is that if they win the NC and he wins the Heisman again that he'll come out.

Your thinking is wrong.

There was a radio report on Sporting News Radio today that said Tebow said he was almost certain he was coming back for his Senior year, that he'd like to try to win back-to-back NC's and be a 3 time Heisman Winner.

Hell, there have been stories that if the NFL Advisory Committee doesn't give him favorable reviews (this year or next) that he'll forgo the NFL to do missionary work.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-08-2008 07:26 PM

Translation:

"Hi Colt, you'll be a 6th round draft pick and be back in Austin selling cars in two years."

"I'm comin' back, fellas!!"

And as far as Tebow is concerned, he'll come back because he doesn't have a pro position. He's not a quarterback, and he damn sure isn't a RB or a TE (despite what Kiper says).

Basileus777 12-08-2008 07:29 PM

Stafford is gone; there is no reason for him to stay. He's a lock for a top 3 pick; staying would just cost him a shitload of money.

Mecca 12-08-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5279941)
Translation:

"Hi Colt, you'll be a 6th round draft pick and be back in Austin selling cars in two years."

"I'm comin' back, fellas!!"

And as far as Tebow is concerned, he'll come back because he doesn't have a pro position. He's not a quarterback, and he damn sure isn't a RB or a TE (despite what Kiper says).

I agree with that, other than someone will draft Tebow just for his size and athletic talent thinking he can do something.