ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Does D. Johnson fit on a 3-4 D? Hali too..... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203255)

bowener 02-27-2009 02:32 PM

Does D. Johnson fit on a 3-4 D? Hali too.....

I am in need of some enlightenment.

He doesn't seem like he relishes contact, so I do not see him as the ILB that sheds the block at the LOS and takes down the RB at or behind the line. He also seems a little smaller than typical for the OLB position.

Am I completely wrong on those assertions? I just need some knowledge.

Also, is it possible we trade him? He has under performed, as did all of the Chiefs defenses in the last decade, but his contract is up pretty soon.

I was wondering if it was a suitable idea to trade him for a draft pick, or an up-and-coming no namer LB (plus picks)?

Well, please educate me on these matters. I need to go get some beer now.

edit: WTF does Hali do now? Nothing as usual? Beef up and play DE? Leave?

RustShack 02-27-2009 02:36 PM

ILB

htismaqe 02-27-2009 02:38 PM

I think he'd make a fine ILB in a 3-4.

sedated 02-27-2009 02:39 PM

I figured he would be OLB. He has speed, when he was drafted the coaches raved about his ability to cover space in the passing game, and didn't he get a lot of sacks in college?

keg in kc 02-27-2009 02:40 PM

He'd fit as the inside coverage backer. He probably is undersized for the outside.

RustShack 02-27-2009 02:40 PM

Donnie Edwards was a pretty good ILB for the Chargers.

keg in kc 02-27-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 5534267)
I figured he would be OLB. He has speed, when he was drafted the coaches raved about his ability to cover space in the passing game, and didn't he get a lot of sacks in college?

No, statistically he was similar to Aaron Curry. I don't remember the exact number of sacks, but it wasn't many.

bowener 02-27-2009 02:43 PM

I was also wondering, with the trade for Vrabel, will we see the Chiefs in a 3-4/4-3 hybrid where Vrabel plays on the LOS with his hand in the dirt half the game, and the other half upright and outside like a traditional OLB?

He is 6'4" and 260lbs.

It could also mean we are trading Tony since MV has some pretty sweet hands at the TE position! He has 8 TD's....... :)

bowener 02-27-2009 02:45 PM

Do you think DJ could put on 10 pounds and play OLB? How much speed could he retain weighing in at 250lbs and 6'3"?

Demonpenz 02-27-2009 02:47 PM

no offense, but derrick johnson sucks

bowener 02-27-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5534282)
No, statistically he was similar to Aaron Curry. I don't remember the exact number of sacks, but it wasn't many.

8.5 sacks

Link

mrdad45 02-27-2009 02:49 PM

I do not worry about DJ fitting in as much as it's starting to look like Hali doesn't have a position. The only spot I thought he could fill, is now occupied by Vrabel. Will be interesting to see how he is used or dealt.

bowener 02-27-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdad45 (Post 5534334)
I do not worry about DJ fitting in as much as it's starting to look like Hali doesn't have a position. The only spot I thought he could fill, is now occupied by Vrabel. Will be interesting to see how he is used or dealt.

Hali, arguably, has no position on any team. Without a premier pass rusher pushing the pocket toward Hali every play he was unable to really do much damage in the back field, ever.

Edit: He seems good at not leaving the LOS, so maybe they can convince him to play heavy and add 20+ lbs and play DE in a rotation or something. Hopefully he would be strong enough then to hold up his blocker and shed him to make some plays some times.

keg in kc 02-27-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 5534344)
Hali, arguably, has no position on any team. Without a premier pass rusher pushing the pocket toward Hali every play he was unable to really do much damage in the back field, ever.

Hali really is the one these threads should be about, I'd say, rather than DJ and Dorsey.

bowener 02-27-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5534348)
Hali really is the one these threads should be about, I'd say, rather than DJ and Dorsey.

Ok, editing.