ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life PETS versus "SERVICE ANIMALS" WTF??!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204256)

TinyEvel 03-15-2009 06:05 PM

PETS versus "SERVICE ANIMALS" WTF??!!

Okay, so I was in my favorite Mexican/Hawaiian taco place (Wahoo's) with my kids today, and a young woman walks in with a small dog on a leash, kinda looked like a cockapoo or other 15 Lb. dog.

Now, I own a dog and I believe they should be treated like a member of the family, but I draw the line at bringing them into eating establishments and offices where hundreds of other people have business to conduct.

Well, as this woman was filling her cup at the soda station, the manager comes up to her and says, "I'm sorry miss, we don't allow pets inside."

Then she replies rather indignantly, "He's not a pet, he's a service animal. See? Service animal, he's not a pet." As she pointed to the tiny red and white half-blanket over the dog's shoulders which had a small insignia on it which read "Therapy Dog."

My 7 and 8 year-old daughters asked what that meant. I explained it like this, "Well, you know how sometimes you need to take a stuffed animal with you in the car or on a trip to make yourself feel better about going somewhere away from home?"

(yeah)

"Well, this woman needs that dog."

I was only able to explain this because I had seen some news story about it but I imagine it's complete bullshit. I kinda wrote off that lady as working the system like a healthy person who's just lazy and collecting worker's comp.
I felt kinda guilty for questioning her validity. Am I wrong?

Saulbadguy 03-15-2009 06:06 PM

Should have given the dog some picante sauce.

Demonpenz 03-15-2009 06:10 PM

i had a doctor recommend a dog for my high anxiety.

TinyEvel 03-15-2009 06:10 PM

The funniest part was, a few minutes later, my 7 year-old had her foot on the seat with knee up by her shoulder (something she does often, and we're always correcting her)

I said, "put your knee down please."

She replied, "It's my therapy knee.'

I laughed out loud really hard for like 15 seconds.

KcMizzou 03-15-2009 06:12 PM

I saw one on The Dog Whisperer. Belonged to a woman who had panic attacks.

Weird.

ChiefRon 03-15-2009 06:12 PM

My wife is blind and we have a service dog.

Some mentally unstable folks may have a legitimate need for a therapy dog. Can't think of an obvious reason, but I don't question it.

You should see the treatment we get.

KcMizzou 03-15-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRon (Post 5585363)
My wife is blind and we have a service dog.

Some mentally unstable folks may have a legitimate need for a therapy dog. Can't think of an obvious reason, but I don't question it.

You should see the treatment we get.

To me, that's wayyyy different.

But, whatever... if it helps, I guess.

TinyEvel 03-15-2009 06:14 PM

Maybe I was judgemental because this chick looked like a typical West L.A. hipster.
:shrug:

Demonpenz 03-15-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5585362)

Weird.

yeah that is what they said I should do, but instead I have a thermometer (spelling?) and if I have an attack I am supposed to concentrate on warming the thing up. It doesn't really work that well because I am worried about impending doom

MIAdragon 03-15-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5585362)

Weird.

Me too, that was such BS.

StcChief 03-15-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 5585372)
Maybe I was judgemental because this chick looked like a typical West L.A. hipster.
:shrug:

in Cali no surprise. :)

DaFace 03-15-2009 06:20 PM

I'll withhold judgment since I'm not a psychologist, but I'd lean toward the "that's BS" side. My fear would be that people go out and actively seek to have the designation so that they have an excuse to take their pets everywhere with them. If that's not the case, then I support whatever they need to do. If it is the case, then a bowl of antifreeze might have come in handy.

kcfanXIII 03-15-2009 06:30 PM

its not like you can just say "oh i'm going to get my dog certified." there is strict training, and they are tested. i feel if it makes a person feel better without drugs, then let them do it. no reason to say to a person, "no, you have to take xanex."

EyePod 03-15-2009 06:33 PM

My girlfriends in school for psychology, and she was telling me about a guy who had a pig that was specially trained to help him deal with his phobia of other people. The pig would make others keep their distance by grunting. I guess if it helps them, who the **** cares. I'd rather booze.

EyePod 03-15-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 5585439)
its not like you can just say "oh i'm going to get my dog certified." there is strict training, and they are tested. i feel if it makes a person feel better without drugs, then let them do it. no reason to say to a person, "no, you have to take xanex."

Yeah, that's a really good point. I'd still take my booze though.