ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft I'll come out and say it: this was a good draft. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206766)

Direckshun 04-26-2009 09:03 PM

I'll come out and say it: this was a good draft.

This draft did not make the most sense out of what we COULD have done.

But think of what we accomplished:
  • We drafted the TWO BEST pure 3-4 DEs in the Draft this year. Jackson in particular seems to have a great ceiling, and Magee is the perfect lunchpail guy.
  • Anybody here who realistically thought we were set at CB with Flowers-Carr-Leggett(-Daniels?) is deluding themselves. We were going to need another piece there. Washington was not the BEST choice we could have made, but his pick is not senseless.
  • For a draft that was largely without sizzle, we did make it out of the draft with two potentially exciting skill-position players from the late rounds.
  • A kicker! BARTH VS. SUCCOP, an elite battle of eliteness.
  • Brown and O'Connell didn't make a lick of sense, no defenses there.
  • The positions, outside of QB, that take the longest to develop are DL, WR, and CB. It makes more sense to get those players first when you are building a team. This draft hit those positions first.

There are other reasons out there but we will hear them as the thread winds on.

Good first draft by Pioli.

OnTheWarpath15 04-26-2009 09:06 PM

I'll come out and say it:

You should have your head examined. I'm convinced you've taken a serious fall, been in a car accident, something - you've not been your normal self the past couple of weeks.

ChiefsCountry 04-26-2009 09:07 PM

Direck is this your attention whore thread. Last year you went apeshit on that draft.

DaWolf 04-26-2009 09:08 PM

I don't think we'll know for a while. Take the last two drafts, while people were relatively pleased with the results of those after draft day, we've only won 6 games in that timespan. I'm not going to say this was a good or bad draft at this time. We have to see if these guys become building blocks for this team to be a winner, and that's going to take time. I like that they seem to have roles in mind for these guys, but I am actually more curious as to how our existing players are going to shake out on this team, especially Dorsey and Hali...

Mecca 04-26-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5717232)
I'll come out and say it:

You should have your head examined. I'm convinced you've taken a serious fall, been in a car accident, something - you've not been your normal self the past couple of weeks.

Pretty much...

I don't even think Magee is better than Gilbert my thought is we had the choice and took the wrong one.

stevieray 04-26-2009 09:11 PM

I'll come out and say it...look for your cheerios to pissed in all season.

Reaper16 04-26-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 5717242)
I don't think we'll know for a while. Take the last two drafts, while people were relatively pleased with the results of those after draft day, we've only won 6 games in that timespan.

Yes, because the players drafted in the past two years changed the fact that the team was quarterbacked by Damon Huard, Brodie Coyle and Tyler Thigpen.

Mecca 04-26-2009 09:14 PM

Direc likes to be different I think, he ripped on last years draft and now likes this one...

bdeg 04-26-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5717251)
Pretty much...

I don't even think Magee is better than Gilbert my thought is we had the choice and took the wrong one.

Gilbert's not exactly a risk-free prospect. Evidently they don't believe he'll pan out, that's usually the way it turns out with guys that can't do it on the field in college. Hopefully they're right and the corner will come into his own with time.

Mecca 04-26-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg (Post 5717275)
Gilbert's not exactly a risk-free prospect. Evidently they don't believe he'll pan out, that's usually the way it turns out with guys that can't do it on the field in college.

Um Jarron Gilbert led the nation in tackles for loss so what exactly wasn't he doing?

KCUnited 04-26-2009 09:16 PM

Just wakin in the morning, gotta thank god.
I don't know but today seems kinda odd
No barkin from the dog, and no smog
And mama cooked the breakfast with no hog

buddha 04-26-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 5717220)
This draft did not make the most sense out of what we COULD have done.

But think of what we accomplished:
  • We drafted the TWO BEST pure 3-4 DEs in the Draft this year. Jackson in particular seems to have a great ceiling, and Magee is the perfect lunchpail guy.
  • Anybody here who realistically thought we were set at CB with Flowers-Carr-Leggett(-Daniels?) is deluding themselves. We were going to need another piece there. Washington was not the BEST choice we could have made, but his pick is not senseless.
  • For a draft that was largely without sizzle, we did make it out of the draft with two potentially exciting skill-position players from the late rounds.
  • A kicker! BARTH VS. SUCCOP, an elite battle of eliteness.
  • Brown and O'Connell didn't make a lick of sense, no defenses there.
  • The positions, outside of QB, that take the longest to develop are DL, WR, and CB. It makes more sense to get those players first when you are building a team. This draft hit those positions first.
There are other reasons out there but we will hear them as the thread winds on.

Good first draft by Pioli.

I agree with you more than I disagree. Too many people were looking for a draft that solved all needs and concerns. That was never going to happen, and magically, we didn't have Anthony Munoz waiting for us in the 1st and Jon Alt in the 3rd.

The thing I really like about Magee is this...watch his feet...dude never gives up.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-26-2009 09:19 PM

What was it you gave our day one last year? A C-?

ChiefsCountry 04-26-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5717296)
What was it you gave our day one last year? A C-?

Remember his Albert meltdown.

bdeg 04-26-2009 09:20 PM

"Inconsistent...Bit of a classic 'tweener...Needs to be more physical and aggressive...Doesn't use his hands well...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Needs to use better leverage...Not a great technician...Motor runs hot and cold...Immature ?...Did not always face elite competition."

But to tell you the truth I think I was thinking of Sidbury, I have no idea why I get those names mixed up.