ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Go Hawks! Crazy finish as Iowa hangs on (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213353)

vailpass 09-05-2009 01:28 PM

Go Hawks! Crazy finish as Iowa hangs on

Anybody see that UNI-Iowa game? I've never seen a game end like that. Blocked field goal, kicking team recovers and gets a second chance to kick the game-winning FG with 1 second left, Hawks block that FG attempt as well to win the game.

UNI played hard, Hawks didn't look so good but found a way to win.

CaliforniaChief 09-05-2009 01:37 PM

Yeah, saw that...wow, the Hawks are lucky to escape with a W. Crazy play because you teach guys to avoid a blocked ball like the plague. Almost cost them everything.

vailpass 09-05-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 6036805)
Yeah, saw that...wow, the Hawks are lucky to escape with a W. Crazy play because you teach guys to avoid a blocked ball like the plague. Almost cost them everything.

Yeah thats what was so frustrating as Hawk fan, the player did exactly what he is coached to do but it could have cost them the game.

Two blocked FG attempts in a row means the O-line is getting manhandled.

CaliforniaChief 09-05-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6037114)
Yeah thats what was so frustrating as Hawk fan, the player did exactly what he is coached to do but it could have cost them the game.

Two blocked FG attempts in a row means the O-line is getting manhandled.

I had actually no knowledge of that rule, but now I do. Is that also true in the NFL?

Definitely encouraged by Stanzi's 2nd half performance and loved what Moeaki was doing. Survive and advance.

BWillie 09-05-2009 04:59 PM

Iowa always does this. They play down to the competition. We tend to lose at Iowa State, no matter how bad they are. For some reason, it takes a while for Kirk Ferentz coached teams to begin to roll. Look for Iowa to pick up steam by the end of the year.

Pitt Gorilla 09-05-2009 05:17 PM

UNI didn't play very well. They were playing without their top 2 running backs, one of their starting WRs, their backup QB, and some offensive linemen. Iowa was without some players as well, so I'm sure they could have played better.

Regardless, the total beatdown that I've been hearing about from my Iowa-fan friends didn't materialize. The teams were pretty closely matched.

BWillie 09-05-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 6037746)
UNI didn't play very well. They were playing without their top 2 running backs, one of their starting WRs, their backup QB, and some offensive linemen. Iowa was without some players as well, so I'm sure they could have played better.

Regardless, the total beatdown that I've been hearing about from my Iowa-fan friends didn't materialize. The teams were pretty closely matched.

The last couple of years has shown the top DIV 1-AA teams can compete. The thing that was really sad was the Iowa offensive line. All of these guys now starting were 4 star and 5 star guys coming out of high school 4 years ago. They looked atrocious most of the time. Dan Doering especially looked like shit and he is one of the highest rated recruit to go to Iowa in like the last 5 years.

Pitt Gorilla 09-05-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 6037762)
The last couple of years has shown the top DIV 1-AA teams can compete. The thing that was really sad was the Iowa offensive line. All of these guys now starting were 4 star and 5 star guys coming out of high school 4 years ago. They looked atrocious most of the time. Dan Doering especially looked like shit and he is one of the highest rated recruit to go to Iowa in like the last 5 years.

Iowa's line will be fine; UNI's strength is at D-Line, with 3 of the 4 starters being very good. The other end, Boothby, is a converted fullback and stinks.

UNI's O-Line is made up of a bunch of monsters, who were unheralded 6-7, 6-8 250 lb guys coming out of high school. The strength program allows them to be pretty good by their junior and senior years.

vailpass 09-05-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 6037746)

Play this game 10 times and UNI gets destroyed 8 or 9 of those games. However it is true the Hawks usually up to or down to their opponent.

Pitt Gorilla 09-05-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6037908)
Play this game 10 times and UNI gets destroyed 8 or 9 of those games. However it is true the Hawks usually up to or down to their opponent.

Disagree completely. The Hawks might win 7-8 times, but none would be a blowout. Surely you understand football better than that.

RustShack 09-05-2009 05:51 PM

Iowa State will get it done next weekend.

Davechief 09-05-2009 05:59 PM

I work in Iowa City & everyone at work was huddled around the TV for the final 2 minutes. Very difficult game, and you had to wonder if UNI was that good, or if the Hawks took this one for granted. Hawks will have to ratchet it up a couple of notches to beat Iowa State next weekend.