ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Nat'l Security It's time for large # of troops to GTFO of Afghanistan. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213880)

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 10:50 AM

It's time for large # of troops to GTFO of Afghanistan.
 
It's a no win situation for us. Brave Americans are fighting a war in which there is no hope of winning. In this type of war there will never be a "winner". All we are doing is providing easy targets for Taliban to kill.

We can't just ignore military history there and say our effort will be different.

We went into Afganistan with 1,300 troops. When the Taliban fell we had 2.500 troops on the ground. We now have 60,000 troops on the ground and the Taliban control 40-70% of the country's territory.

The new commander in Afghanistan says he sees no evidence of a large Al-Quaeda presense in Afghanistan. That is and will always be the only reason for us to be in Afghanistan. The only reason we are there in the first place. The only reason to sacrifice American lives.

I think we should hunt down and kill every single member of Al=Quaeda, no matter where they are hiding.

We shouldn't be sacrificing American lives to nation build in Afghanistan. Yeah, they want to go back to the 12th century but why should we sacrifice American lives to keep that from happening? Not worth it.

But if we leave the Taliban will take over swiftly and then provide a safe -haven for Al-Quaeda? We don't let that happen. We put cruise millsle up their azz. We send out the drones. We use special forces to take them out.

Edited:

I'm convinced that this is the right decision for these reasons.
  • We can't nation build in Afghanistan. We shouldn't be using our resources and sacrificing our troops to help them. Thats not why we are there. $300 billion spent so far. 900 brave Americans dead. Entering it's 9th year. Just when will it be enough?
  • The argument that the Taliban and Al-Quaeda will just come back may be true but there are several problems with that. Al-Quaeda can be anywhere in the world. So we keep them out of Afghanistan, they show up in Pakistan, Somalia, where ever. I read there is only 100 Al-Quaeda operatives in Afghanistan. There are probably more than that in the USA. If we keep them out of Afghanistan. they will just go some other place. We need a 21st century approach. We won't be able to defeat Al-Quaeda with conventional weapons and strategy. We can always go back in with surgical strikes to take out prime targets and more large scale attacks to prevent Al-Quaeda from establishing bases again. We can't let 100,000 Americans become easy to reach targets for Al-Quaeda.
  • The government is corrupt beyond repair. For those who want to nation build, how can you with a totally corrupt government that the people don't trust? Nation building won't work no matter how many troops or how much money you throw at the problem with a corrupt government distrusted by the people.
  • Afghanistan has no resources. What exactly are they going to make money at, build their country with? It would be a transfer of wealth from us to them.
  • The population outside of Kabul is run by drug overlords. The majority of the population works in the poppy fields because its the only way they can feed their family. How are we going to change that? Provide jobs for those people to feed their families? A lot of those poppy field profits are going right to the Taliban. Just how are you going to end this cycle without a major infusion of American money. Again, a transfer of wealth.

Bill Parcells 09-12-2009 10:54 AM

Um, bro. this is exactly what I heard about Iraq 2-3 years ago :( but the evil Bush administration had success in squashing insurgents in Iraq. are you saying the evil Bush can do something the mighty Obama can not?

The defeatist attitude is pathetic..I'm sorry. but I think some of us are forgetting about what took place here 8 years ago.

Bill Parcells 09-12-2009 10:56 AM

and cruise missiles were tried during the Mighty Clinton admin..and we all know what kind of a deterrent that was..lol

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6058983)
Um, bro. this is exactly what I heard about Iraq 2-3 years ago :( but the evil Bush administration had success in squashing insurgents in Iraq. are you saying the evil Bush can do something the mighty Obama can not?

The defeatist attitude is pathetic..I'm sorry. but I think some of us are forgetting about what took place here 8 years ago.

I'm not advocating leaving Afganistan. I'm not advocating leaving the area. We still fight, but with our technology and special forces not 100,000 troops on the ground.

I've been more hawkish on this issue that most of the Republican posters on here. My views about going after Al-Quada were considered reckless and dangerous. Bur, we can't win. Irag was different. They were interested in peace. Afganistan only knows war.

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6058984)
and cruise missiles were tried during the Mighty Clinton admin..and we all know what kind of a deterrent that was..lol

again, we use the drones and special forces. Thats a big difference. With the drones we can watch from the sky and strike at any moment. We will keep them from moving freely. And especially start up dafe havens for Al-Quaeda.

Bill Parcells 09-12-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6058988)
I'm not advocating leaving Afghanistan. I'm not advocating leaving the area. We still fight, but with our technology and special forces not 100,000 troops on the ground.

I've been more hawkish on this issue that most of the Republican posters on here. My views about going after Al-Quada were considered reckless and dangerous.

The military is asking for an increase in troop strength in Afghanistan. they're the professionals and probably know a lot more about the situation than me or you. so I'm inclined to go with what they think.

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6058983)
The defeatist attitude is pathetic..I'm sorry. but I think some of us are forgetting about what took place here 8 years ago.

Did you read what I wrote about Al=Quaeda? We should hunt down and kill wvery Al=Quaeda member? Not exactly defeatist.

Bill Parcells 09-12-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6059005)
Did you read what I wrote about Al=Quaeda? We should hunt down and kill wvery Al=Quaeda member? Not exactly defeatist.

You need foot soldiers on the ground. there are thousands upon thousands of terrorists in the tribal regions of pakistan just waiting for us to leave so they can flock into Afghanistan. drones and cruise missiles wont stop the influx if we leave.

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6059001)
The military is asking for an increase in troop strength in Afghanistan. they're the professionals and probably know a lot more about the situation than me or you. so I'm inclined to go with what they think.

And I would agree. But, this isn't a purely military decision. Yes, we will need more troops to control the sandbox. But is that what we want as a country? Whats our goal?

Bill Parcells 09-12-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6059005)
Did you read what I wrote about Al=Quaeda? We should hunt down and kill wvery Al=Quaeda member? Not exactly defeatist.

Yes, but that was tried before by the Clinton adm. and nothing happened.

WilliamTheIrish 09-12-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6059001)
The military is asking for an increase in troop strength in Afghanistan. they're the professionals and probably know a lot more about the situation than me or you. so I'm inclined to go with what they think.

HonestChief says that our hands are tied by the ROG.

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6059016)
Yes, but that was tried before by the Clinton adm. and nothing happened.

I have great confidence in our military{if freed from political constraints that exsisted under the Clinton administration} can devise a plan to keep Al-Quaeda from having a safe haven in Afghanistan.

Calcountry 09-12-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6058972)
It's a no win situation for us. Brave Americans are fighting a war in which there is no hope of winning. In this type of war there will never be a "winner". All we are doing is providing easy targets for Taliban to kill.

We can't just ignore military history there and say our effort will be different.

We went into Afganistan with 1,300 troops. When the Taliban fell we had 2.500 troops on the ground. We now have 60,000 troops on the ground and the Taliban control 40-70% of the country's territory.

The new commander in Afghanistan says he sees no evidence of a large Al-Quaeda presense in Afghanistan. That is and will always be the only reason for us to be in Afghanistan. The only reason we are there in the first place. The only reason to sacrifice American lives.

I think we should hunt down and kill every single member of Al=Quaeda, no matter where they are hiding.

We shouldn't be sacrificing American lives to nation build in Afghanistan. Yeah, they want to go back to the 12th century but why should we sacrifice American lives to keep that from happening? Not worth it.

But if we leave the Taliban will take over swiftly and then provide a safe -haven for Al-Quaeda? We don't let that happen. We put cruise millsle up their azz. We send out the drones. We use special forces to take them out.

Afghanistan is Obama's war.

Calcountry 09-12-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 6059012)
You need foot soldiers on the ground. there are thousands upon thousands of terrorists in the tribal regions of pakistan just waiting for us to leave so they can flock into Afghanistan. drones and cruise missiles wont stop the influx if we leave.

It's time to turn the mountains into glass.

BigRedChief 09-12-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcountry (Post 6059030)
It's time to turn the mountains into glass.

And yet even if we do that, we still don't win. Al-Quaeds are like cockroaches we will have to go in every cave, turn over every rock to kill them.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.