ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Anyone here carry a 17" laptop? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=224316)

memyselfI 03-04-2010 05:20 PM

Anyone here carry a 17" laptop?

My son seems to think bigger is better and wants one of these. However, I'm concerned that it's going to be too big to actually be portable. I know these are mostly used for desktop replacements.

Anyone here use one as a portable laptop? How much do you hate life having to carry it around all day?

Buck 03-04-2010 05:23 PM

Yeah I do, its not too bad, only like 10 lbs.

But I would recommend a shoulder strap carrying case instead of just holding it by hand, it makes it a little easier.

Miles 03-04-2010 05:27 PM

I have never understood the appeal of a 17" if you will be more than occasionally carrying it around. Too big of a form factor, too heavy and the larger screen reduces batter life and you need a desk/table to really use one for more than a few minutes. However if he is a student he will may not notice the extra 5-7 lbs as much since he will be likely be carrying books around as well.

IMO a 13.3" and an external monitor for home is the way to go.

007 03-04-2010 05:55 PM

They are heavy to haul around

Taco John 03-04-2010 06:04 PM

If I was a student, I would want a 17 incher. The smaller portable ones are nice, but they're harder to use, IMO. You get a nice keyboard size with a 17 incher, which is crucial for getting papers written without getting carpal tunnel.

The downside is definitely battery life. But the upside is usefulness. A 17 incher is much more useful than a 13.

Taco John 03-04-2010 06:06 PM

By the way, I do use a 17-incher for business trips. I always have to find a plug in to make it last, but I'm ok with that.

Jewish Rabbi 03-04-2010 06:11 PM

I used a 17 inch on your wife last night :D

Rain Man 03-04-2010 06:29 PM

I walk 4 miles a day with a 15" laptop and it's not a problem once you get used to it. It's exercise. However, I've got a nice backpack that's designed for it.

I like a bigger screen and think the screen size outweighs the portability issue, even in my case. The only time the size is a problem is on planes, when I often can't open it all the way because the dipstick in front of me always thinks he has an obligation to recline his seat all the way back the second the plane gets off the ground. If your son doesn't fly much, he probably doesn't need to worry about that, though.

RedDread 03-04-2010 06:37 PM

I have had a 17" for a while now. I use it as a Desktop Replacement, so it doesn't move too often. When I have to transport it using it in transit can be a PITA, but it is quite nice when I get to somewhere were I can fully set up. The battery life is awful but it is a gaming laptop so the power usage is ridiculous. If I ever had to do a lot of traveling or go to classes I would probably get a cheap 15" to do word processing and surf the net.

Buck 03-04-2010 07:26 PM

My 17" laptop has a 9 cell battery, and if I use power saver, I get between 7 to 9 hours of battery life.

Bane 03-04-2010 07:54 PM

No.I love my 13 in Macbooks.I had a Dell xps 15 in before and it was light for a 15 in,but after having a 13,I really don't miss the 15 at all.Sure the screen is huge and looks great,but this thing will do anything the 17 will and packs away much easier.IMO.

memyselfI 03-05-2010 06:38 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. It's been really helpful. I was under the impression that it would be a huge PITA.

My son is 6'2" and 190 pounds so I think he can handle the bulk and weight a lot easier than I could. The machine I'm looking at weighs 7.4 pounds which is about the same weight as my husband's 4 year old 15 inch laptop.

Buehler445 03-05-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 6577958)
Thanks for the input, guys. It's been really helpful. I was under the impression that it would be a huge PITA.

My son is 6'2" and 190 pounds so I think he can handle the bulk and weight a lot easier than I could. The machine I'm looking at weighs 7.4 pounds which is about the same weight as my husband's 4 year old 15 inch laptop.

That's about what I was in high school (I'm fatter now) and really, toting something around that big for a very long time really is a PITA. Especially in airports.

My dad has one that is a 16" or something, and I really don't like it. I have a dell lattitude 13.3" little bastard with a docking station, and am realy happy with it, although I paid through the nose for a little one with the capacity for a docking station.

I shoud put my comments in context though. Even though I'm only 26, I have done as hell of a lot of work on a PC. Big laptops, in my experience are not a sufficient replacement. However, they very well could be for younger generations that haven't had the hours behind a standard keyboard and mouse.

From a practical standpoint though, your son is going to do what he wants to do regardless.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445 03-05-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 6576927)
If I was a student, I would want a 17 incher. The smaller portable ones are nice, but they're harder to use, IMO. You get a nice keyboard size with a 17 incher, which is crucial for getting papers written without getting carpal tunnel.

The downside is definitely battery life. But the upside is usefulness. A 17 incher is much more useful than a 13.

I disagree. I had a 12.1 inch when I was in college and it worked well unless I needed a 10 key. Plus with mouse options these days, particularly bluetooth, it is cake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian 03-05-2010 07:38 AM

yes, and just ordered another one.

They're heavy as hell, the chargers are large and heavy and you'll have to get a large bag.

In my line of work, i think it's worth it for clients to be able to see what I'm doing.