ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=229102)

CosmicPal 06-04-2010 08:36 PM

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...5L._SS500_.jpg

Astonishing!

I just watched this silent film and I was impressed. I've heard some great things about this controversial film and have always wanted to watch it. Well, I finally got the chance to do so and for anyone who's a cinematic film buff, you should give it a chance.

The camerawork is absolutely stunning for its time and the lead actress who played Joan gave the performance of a lifetime.

For those interested in filmmaking- this is a must see. For those who don't give a rats ass about great movies should shy away from it. You just wouldn't understand.

Ebolapox 06-04-2010 08:38 PM

any nudes?

CosmicPal 06-04-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6799669)
any nudes?

Actually, there is. I was shocked.

There is a scene...and a very nice close-up, I might add, of a woman breast-feeding. The baby pulls away to watch the crowd and you're provided an immaculate view of nips.

Ebolapox 06-04-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 6799674)
Actually, there is. I was shocked.

There is a scene...and a very nice close-up, I might add, of a woman breast-feeding. The baby pulls away to watch the crowd and you're provided an immaculate view of nips.

****in' A. might be worth a rental. doubt blockbuster or redbox has it, though.

CosmicPal 06-04-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6799695)
****in' A. might be worth a rental. doubt blockbuster or redbox has it, though.

I doubt that they do too. I had to download it online.

Ebolapox 06-04-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 6799734)
I doubt that they do too. I had to download it online.

****, mang. link? if it has titties I'm there. titties+classic movie=****ing win.

CosmicPal 06-04-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6799753)
****, mang. link? if it has titties I'm there. titties+classic movie=****ing win.

Add in the fact you have a woman burning at the stake and I'm sure you'd consider it a win. I'm kidding there of course, but the effects for its time was pretty good.

I had a friend get it for me, I'll see what I can do and PM you. :thumb:

Ebolapox 06-04-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 6799758)
Add in the fact you have a woman burning at the stake and I'm sure you'd consider it a win. I'm kidding there of course, but the effects for its time was pretty good.

I had a friend get it for me, I'll see what I can do and PM you. :thumb:

hey, what do you tell a woman who's charred black? nothing, you've already told her once :p

alright, that was over the line. oh well, it made me chuckle :evil:

Jenson71 06-05-2010 02:54 AM

Yeah, it is good. It's been a while since I watched it, and I was younger (maybe 15 years old or so) but I vividly remember those closeups on Joan, and her worried, confused face. Definitely not a warrior-type look.

The director, Dreyer, made several other great religious movies. His most acclaimed is Ordet. I saw it, but it didn't leave the great impression on me that it leaves many, many other people. I recommend viewing it.

Miles 06-05-2010 03:41 AM

Even as someone who is fairly into movies I still can't handle silent films. The only one I have made it all the way though is Metropolis which has apparently been finally restored to the original cut and we may see it on DVD in a few months.

Jenson71 06-05-2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6799986)
Even as someone who is fairly into movies I still can't handle silent films. The only one I have made it all the way though is Metropolis which has apparently been finally restored to the original cut and we may see it on DVD in a few months.

Really? Not even City Lights? Not even The General?

Keaton and Chaplin's movements alone are much more enjoyable than Groucho's zingers, to me.

Fire Me Boy! 06-05-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6799986)

Oh, man. I love silents. For comedies, Keaton, Lloyd and Chaplin can't be beat. And some of Hitchcock's silents are fantastic. I actually haven't seen Joan, so I will definitely check it out (I would, even without the boobies).