ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Need ideas for ski trip planning with kids (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231624)

Mile High Mania 08-05-2010 01:41 PM

Need ideas for ski trip planning with kids

Ok, so we're trying to figure out what we are doing for Spring Break next March ... we have 3 kids (ages 4-9) and they have never skied before. We live in the Dallas area and will drive... likely looking at Colorado, New Mexico area.

I am interested in kid friendly resorts, something that offers kid lessons, etc.

If anyone has tips from previous trips with kids, I thank you in advance for the comments. :clap:

Donger 08-05-2010 01:42 PM

Winter Park.

Mile High Mania 08-05-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6918700)
Winter Park.

That's on the list... what about WP though made you throw that out there over the others?

Brock 08-05-2010 01:52 PM

Monarch is usually somewhat less crowded than the bigger ones on spring break.

Donger 08-05-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 6918720)
That's on the list... what about WP though made you throw that out there over the others?

It's the most family-friendly. But, it will be nuts over spring break.

Mile High Mania 08-05-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6918760)
It's the most family-friendly. But, it will be nuts over spring break.

Ok, you've found the reason I'm looking for tips and suggestions... :D I am trying to minimize the "Hot Tub Time Machine" element of this trip with the kiddos.

vailpass 08-05-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6918700)
Winter Park.

Exactly. Bunny lessons in the morning.

Stewie 08-05-2010 03:00 PM

Ski the Summit. You have access to Copper Mtn., Keystone, A-Basin, Breckenridge and Vail (with a bit of a drive). I've skied all these places alot and I think Breckenridge is the best for beginners. Really wide-open green runs that are far less intimidating than trying to navigate a bunch of people in a small area, especially on spring break.

007 08-05-2010 06:11 PM

Keystone has always been my favorite.

Gracie Dean 08-05-2010 06:30 PM

Crested Butte

Great small town, wonderful food. Donita's Cantina is awesome

mlyonsd 08-05-2010 06:41 PM

Maybe out of your way but Terry Peak, SD. Not too busy, great instructors for the kids. Just a couple minutes wait on all lift lines, even on the weekends. Enough runs to keep everyone occupied and the greens are gentle. Reasonable rates. Plenty of cheap places to stay including Deadwood which is about 15 minutes away.

Very, very good instructors.

DaFace 08-05-2010 06:43 PM

I'm probably not really a great resource, since I don't have kids, but I'd probably pick Winter Park like Donger. They really make an effort to make it a family friendly place. I've got family who makes an annual trip there.

Me? I'll take the 5-mountain pass (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek). But that's not for the kid-friendly environment.

cdirty 08-05-2010 06:45 PM

Angelfire in New Mexico was nice. Went there with the fam when we were younger.

Gracie Dean 08-05-2010 06:52 PM

http://www.skicb.com/cbmr/index.aspx

When I lived there years ago, they called it the best kept secret. Great ski runs, family friendly and very low key.

007 08-05-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 6919342)
I'm probably not really a great resource, since I don't have kids, but I'd probably pick Winter Park like Donger. They really make an effort to make it a family friendly place. I've got family who makes an annual trip there.

Me? I'll take the 5-mountain pass (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek). But that's not for the kid-friendly environment.

We have never had a problem with Keystone or copper Mountain with our kids. How are they not kid friendly?

Someday I will give Winter a try but I really don't like the mountain pass you have to drive through to get there. You just never know what the weather will do to you on the way up and on the way back.