ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Spinoff: What was the last Chiefs game you missed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236401)

Hammock Parties 11-05-2010 10:25 PM

Spinoff: What was the last Chiefs game you missed?

Since DaFace is pondering committing a cardinal sin of Chiefs fandom this weekend, I thought I'd see who else has sinned recently, or when your last transgression was.

I literally live in fear of missing a Chiefs game and I'll tell you why: In 2002, I overslept and missed the Chief beating the Jets in New York. You remember the game: Priest jumped into the end zone with about 30 seconds left and the Chiefs won 24-20 or something. It was supposedly really exciting.

Not that I would know. Because I didn't experience it. BECAUSE I SINNED!

Since that day, I have not missed a Chiefs game.

Well, I guess I missed the 2008 home opener (Raiders @ Chiefs), but that was because of a ****ing HURRICANE, so I had a good excuse. And I listened to it on the radio, so I think we can let that slide.

Anyway, these days the last thing I do before nodding off is set the DVR. :mad:

Rain Man 11-05-2010 10:27 PM

You overslept a whole game? You overslept until 3 pm central time? Really?

DaFace 11-05-2010 10:27 PM

Well, hell, I missed the second half last weekend. (I was flying back from my high school reunion.) I couldn't tell you when the last time I missed a Raiders game was though.

Rain Man 11-05-2010 10:30 PM

Modern times are good because you can get the Chiefs almost anywhere. From 1986 to about 1995 I missed lots of Chiefs games because I lived in areas that didn't show them regularly. It was sheer hell.

Since then I've hardly ever missed a game. I've planned trips around games to ensure that I'm in a hotel by the time it starts. I've moved around schedules and all sorts of things.

That said, there have been a couple of times it was unavoidable. The Bengals game where Trent got hurt by the cheap-shot Geathers guy was one where I only saw the first quarter because I was in an airport, and there was another game that same season that I missed completely because I was on an airplane. In roughly 2002 I had to miss a game simply due to a desperate work deadline, and that really hurt, and once in the late 90s some stupid friend held their wedding directly opposite a Chiefs-Raiders game. I don't talk to them any more.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-05-2010 10:32 PM

Being from Seattle, every time I've been to Arrowhead this year I've told someone that I can count on 1 hand how many Chiefs games I've missed in the last 18 years.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the last one was a season finale against Atlanta that had zero implications as we won like 4 games that year.

007 11-05-2010 10:32 PM

KC vs. Houston a few years back. Season opener I think. I had to leave Joe's early to be in Hutch that afternoon. WE did listen to the game on the radio though.

cdcox 11-05-2010 10:32 PM

I missed the '49er game this year, and forgot to record it.

I was supposed to be on a flight back from London during the playoff game in '03. I got confused on my flight time and ended up missing the flight, and saw the game live after I squatted in the hotel bar to gain control of the remote from the soccer hooligans. I always wondered if my subconscious undermined my rational plan to be on that flight.

Bane 11-05-2010 10:32 PM

I haven't missed one (tv) since 95.

pr_capone 11-05-2010 10:32 PM

I have to work. :( I DVR it but I've been told the ending twice... including last week.

stevieray 11-05-2010 10:36 PM

two weeks ago. couldn't find a ticket. sat in the lot and listed to M&L.

sedated 11-05-2010 10:38 PM

This is a blurry subject. My first job out of college (2003) was at a breakfast restaurant, so I had to work sunday mornings. But we had a TV in the breakroom, and I got off work at 1pm, so I saw most of everything.

The week they told me that I had to work late and I couldn't spend the whole time in the breakroom, I quit. That was around week 4.

Hammock Parties 11-05-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 7149003)
saw the game live after I squatted in the hotel bar to gain control of the remote from the soccer hooligans.

Wow, that's intense.

That's like a scene out of a movie. Like when Frodo has the ring, and he's hiding under the log, and the black rider passes by.

Rain Man 11-05-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7148999)
Being from Seattle, every time I've been to Arrowhead this year I've told someone that I can count on 1 hand how many Chiefs games I've missed in the last 18 years.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the last one was a season finale against Atlanta that had zero implications as we won like 4 games that year.

That was a good one to miss. One of the worst Chiefs games ever.

Hammock Parties 11-05-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7149024)

I think the Chiefs missed that game.

When I was 14, I resorted to watching the 1995 Chiefs playoff game on a 10 inch black and white TV. With terrible reception.

This was during my grandmother's 75th anniversary party.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-05-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7149024)

I remember seeing the highlights and thinking to myself, "Thank you Jesus."