ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Crennel's defense yesterday: a '2-4' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237962)

the Talking Can 12-06-2010 10:45 AM

Crennel's defense yesterday: a '2-4'

according to Petro we lined up frequently in a '2-4'

Dorsey and Gilberry as the 2 DL

with studebaker on the edge as a 3rd 'DL'...and McGraw lined up as a LB...

i don't remember the announcers ever mentioning it

but this is the kind of thing I love about Crennel...dude will do anything if it works...you can also see why that would be susceptible to the run

anyone notice this?

beach tribe 12-06-2010 10:50 AM

Yup. It's obvious that we were geared towards shutting down Orton, and the passing game because that's what they killed us with the last game. The only reason Mareno got the yards he did was because of this.
It's a 2-4-5 nickel package

Jive Ass 12-06-2010 10:50 AM

Can't really say I noticed it during the game, but it would certainly explain the holes on the run. Something seemed different, and I couldn't really tell what - but this makes me think. Could be.

Sully 12-06-2010 10:51 AM

We've had that type of nickel in every game.

Bowser 12-06-2010 10:53 AM

That would certainly explain why they were gashing us up the middle. Whomever was playing nose for us was getting absolutely destroyed on those run plays.

That being said, I'll give up 170 rushing yards to any runningback anytime if it means we keep the opponents out of the endzone all game long.

Mr. Laz 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

our defense isn't really good enough to play the run and pass equally. Crennal has to choose to emphasize one or the other each game. He constantly has to sub players in and out as well because many of our players are only good at one aspect.

Saul Good 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

Petro is dead on. We have a good enough defense to shut down the passing game at the expense of getting gashed in the running game. Romeo decided that the Broncos couldn't beat us by running, and he was right.

keg in kc 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

That's part of the reason the rushing yards don't bother me. Watching from home, they appeared to be completely geared to giving up short stuff between the twenties and then shutting Denver down in the scoring zone. They were not going to give up anything long. As much as I generally hate bend-but-don't break, it worked perfectly. That was probably the worst passing day Denver will have all year.

It was a really funny game in a way. We did everything we could to keep Denver in the game, mistakes in the red zone, dropping turnovers. That would have been a real heartbreaker to lose. One of those games that should be about 30-6 that ended up 10-6.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

interesting. The strategy worked...thats all that matters.

ReynardMuldrake 12-06-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7231789)
That's part of the reason the rushing yards don't bother me. Watching from home, they appeared to be completely geared to giving up short stuff between the twenties and then shutting Denver down in the scoring zone. They were not going to give up anything long. As much as I generally hate bend-but-don't break, it worked perfectly. That was probably the worst passing day Denver will have all year.

It was a really funny game in a way. We did everything we could to keep Denver in the game, mistakes in the red zone, dropping turnovers. That would have been a real heartbreaker to lose. One of those games that should be about 30-6 that ended up 10-6.

It's nice to see them finding ways to win finally. Last year that game would have been a loss.

Radar Chief 12-06-2010 10:57 AM

I thought they mentioned it, called it the “ameba defense” or something like that.
I’ve been seeing teams like the Packers and Giants running it a lot lately.

Demonpenz 12-06-2010 10:58 AM

Carr played well.

mcaj22 12-06-2010 10:59 AM

This was the first time I saw this ran with Studebaker getting a glaring amount of playing time.

Usually Vrabel is in there when we run this and well... yea.

Chief Henry 12-06-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7231789)

It could have easily been 20-6 imo. I'll take the win and a chance at Sandy Eggo n Sunday. Our 8th win was not pretty - but just 3 weeks ago they lit us up. The defensive scheme worked and now we've got as many wins this year as we had the 3 previous years.

ROYC75 12-06-2010 11:14 AM

To be honest, the Denver coaching staff muffed this game. We gave them every chance to win and all they had to do was run it more. Then switch it up a little better.

Having an experienced QB like Manning or Brady to recognize the defense to call audibles is a plus.