ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Cast Iron FTW! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246508)

Stewie 06-26-2011 01:06 PM

Cast Iron FTW!

Current non-stick cookware will be outlawed starting in 2015. The manufacturing process uses toxic ingredients that have shown up in ground water. The pans themselves do not introduce toxins into your food. However, an unattended pan that's heating can introduce toxins that are fatal to pet birds.

America's Test Kitchen has tried alternatives to "teflon" and none of them maintain their non-stick for more than a few weeks.

ATK's recommendation? Cast Iron! It's the ultimate non-stick surface if it's cared for correctly.

Your Grandma was right.

Fire Me Boy! 06-26-2011 01:07 PM

**** YEAH!

Fire Me Boy! 06-26-2011 01:07 PM

Now let me read the thread so I can see what it's about.

Rain Man 06-26-2011 01:09 PM

Time to go buy stock in cast iron.

Al Bundy 06-26-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7715928)
Current non-stick cookware will be outlawed starting in 2015. The manufacturing process uses toxic ingredients that have shown up in ground water. The pans themselves do not introduce toxins into your food. However, an unattended pan that's heating can introduce toxins that are fatal to pet birds.

America's Test Kitchen has tried alternatives to "teflon" and none of them maintain their non-stick for more than a few weeks.

ATK's recommendation? Cast Iron! It's the ultimate non-stick surface if it's cared for correctly.

Your Grandma was right.

I use Lodge as the 2 I have are pre-seasoned items. However I enjoy my calphalon stuff so the eco-terrorists can suck my balls.

Stewie 06-26-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowl (Post 7715968)
I use Lodge as the 2 I have are pre-seasoned items. However I enjoy my calphalon stuff so the eco-terrorists can suck my balls.

You can still use your Calphalon, it just won't be available in its current form. Buy a bunch in 2014.

I'm thinking they might come up with another process that's not toxic. Although I've heard they've tried and nothing has worked... yet. They have time.

Rain Man 06-26-2011 01:19 PM

My mother had a cast iron skillet thing that we used to make grilled cheese and stuff. The thing was so heavy that it had its own gravitational well. We were always finding disoriented cosmonauts near it.

BigMeatballDave 06-26-2011 01:27 PM

I don't have pet birds. Looks like I will be stocking up.

Over-Head 06-26-2011 01:29 PM

LOVE my cast Iron pans, always did, always will.

Baby Lee 06-26-2011 01:41 PM

The one thing I can't cook [one the stovetop] without teflon is corned beef hash. Even then it has to be good quality teflon.

I recently came up with cooking it in my Flavorwave. That way it's not the pan/dish heating it, but the infrared bulb above.

NewChief 06-26-2011 01:42 PM

I haven't had a single piece of teflon cookware in 10 years.

Just Passin' By 06-26-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7715928)

Your Grandma was right.

I'm not aware of any such ban, and a Google search did not turn one up. Do you have a link on this subject?

Stewie 06-26-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7716073)
I'm not aware of any such ban, and a Google search did not turn one up. Do you have a link on this subject?

It was on America's Test Kitchen show yesterday. You have to pay to see anything but the basics on their site.

Adam, the equipment guy, had a specific story on the ban and what pans work as a replacement.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-26-2011 02:00 PM

Yeah ok

Just Passin' By 06-26-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7716091)
It was on America's Test Kitchen show yesterday. You have to pay to see anything but the basics on their site.

Adam, the equipment guy, had a specific story on the ban and what pans work as a replacement.

Adam must be talking about companies (DuPont) agreeing to phase out PFOA, but I don't believe that's an actual ban.