ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Cruises: Looking for some Advice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251069)

CaliforniaChief 10-07-2011 10:05 PM

Cruises: Looking for some Advice

Hey everyone, I'm going to go on a cruise in January 2012 with my wife, no kids going with us. We're looking for a 3 night cruise.

Port of departure is Los Angeles or Long Beach.

Looks like Carnival is the only line that serves the area. Have any of you ever booked a cruise? Where do you find the cheapest rates? Any information (including typical CP advice) is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, all!

Gadzooks 10-07-2011 10:09 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f3fk4JhEsIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRedChief 10-07-2011 10:27 PM

cruisecritic.com is all you need. All the info and opinions is there.

Valiant 10-07-2011 10:52 PM

Just go to playa del carmen for 3 nights instead..

2bikemike 10-07-2011 11:33 PM

Carnival is the Party cruise line. Typically a younger crowd. Like Valiant said I would rather fly into a place and spend my time touring dry land.
When you cruise the majority of your time is onboard the ship. So it truly is about the journey and not so much the destination.

Phobia 10-08-2011 12:00 AM

Sounds like you're limiting your options due to port of departure and duration. Betting there's only a couple of options available to you. Just spend the most you can afford and enjoy your time. I've cruised Carnival but I'm convinced they're all comparable. I wouldn't sweat upgrading your cabin either. We slept in ours and that's it. If you want luxurious sleeping quarters then spend a bunch of money on a hotel.

wutamess 10-08-2011 02:56 AM

If it doesn't matter about the port. Try Miami... Go to South Beach a day before to experience the night life before departure the next day on the cruise. Cruises are ok because they're all inclusive. You'll spend some money but you have everything you need on the ship.

Cruise critic like someone mentioned earlier is a good place.
I've been on 4 cruises. Royal C and Carnival. Couldn't tell you the difference between the 2. Now I know there's other lines that are more upscale but I'm thinking RC and Carnival is what you're looking for. None of them are just spring break crazy partying times unless you're going during spring break.

Having said that... if you wanted to spend a lil more. I think you'd have more fun actually spending the entire time flying in somewhere. All cruises you have to be on the ship during the day so experiencing the night life at a destination is a no-go.

If you do go to Mexico, It's risky, but I heard that if you just go down there and book your room down there on the spot the prices you pay $100+ per night you can get for $35-40 per night.

Like I said, it's risky, but it's not like you won't have options if you need a place to stay and you'll always be able to spend the original "internet" amount.

Smed1065 10-08-2011 03:05 AM

Tits or GTFO..

No not yours.......

Gracie Dean 10-08-2011 09:13 AM

We always go Royal Caribbean. We book everything through them, they take care of all. Flights, transfer from Airport to port and luggage. Best company by far! Best vacations ever

Stinger 10-08-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7975619)
cruisecritic.com is all you need. All the info and opinions is there.

THIS ................

Sandyskc 10-08-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracie Dean (Post 7975987)
We always go Royal Caribbean. We book everything through them, they take care of all. Flights, transfer from Airport to port and luggage. Best company by far! Best vacations ever

I've gone on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Carnival is one long Frat party. If that is what you want, go for it. If you want a more adult feel, Royal Caribbean is great. Still lots of fun but I didn't have to worry about a drunk throwing up on me.

CaliforniaChief 10-08-2011 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the info. We would probably prefer RC but it looks like they pulled out of Southern California and went all-in to the Caribbean.

Thanks again!