ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My dog is sick and I could use some help. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256867)

Carlota69 03-06-2012 01:02 AM

My dog is sick and I could use some help.

Yesterday I left the dog treats out on a table, not thinking my dogs could get to them. Well, I was wrong. Very wrong. They ate about 8-10 dentastyx and maybe the same amount of Freshies liver flavor. This morning thy both had massive diarrhea and one of them vomited. They are both very bloated. One of them, Dexter, looks likes hes going to pop. I took them for a walk tonight and Dexter vomited twice. Diggity, the other dog, pooped and it was beginning to get solid. Im not worried about him but Dexter isnt himself and he is prone to constipation. I also think he ate more. They are both weenie dogs. Dexter is about 22 lbs, but he looks like he has gained 10 lbs. His gums are pink to red.

Anybody been here before or know what I should do. If I should continue to worry or ride it out?

Disgruntled_Parent via SR's IP in GA 03-06-2012 01:06 AM

ride it out, they'll be fine, be sure you punish them though, i'd take their mobile device away, at a minimum.

pr_capone 03-06-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 8421048)
Yesterday I left the dog treats out on a table, not thinking my dogs could get to them. Well, I was wrong. Very wrong. They ate about 8-10 dentastyx and maybe the same amount of Freshies liver flavor. This morning thy both had massive diarrhea and one of them vomited. They are both very bloated. One of them, Dexter, looks likes hes going to pop. I took them for a walk tonight and Dexter vomited twice. Diggity, the other dog, pooped and it was beginning to get solid. Im not worried about him but Dexter isnt himself and he is prone to constipation. I also think he ate more. They are both weenie dogs. Dexter is about 22 lbs, but he looks like he has gained 10 lbs. His gums are pink to red.

Anybody been here before or know what I should do. If I should continue to worry or ride it out?

Doxies are damn near bullet proof. We have two as well and the old one has gotten into all sorts of shit over the years. My wife left 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies on the coffee table thinking they were safe. About 30 minutes later Mandi is lying on the floor all fat, belly poofed out, licking her lips. Didn't miss a step.

That said, you know your dog better than anyone. If Dex isn't acting right... you might wanna run him by the 24hr vet. Not cheap though. Took one of ours one night and it was like 800 bones.

Dr. Johnny Fever 03-06-2012 01:10 AM

This is not a smart ass response... but call the vet if they arent much better in the morning.

Otter 03-06-2012 01:15 AM

Carlota, I love you babe but a football message board isn't the place to be going for advice when one of your pooches is retaining fluids to the point where he/she is swelling up.

Ride it out and hope for the best or go to a vet.

Phobia 03-06-2012 01:40 AM

It will clear up. My little ankle biters get into crap all the time, bloat up, and clear up in a day or two. It's not worth several benjamins going to a vet over overeating something designed for dogs to eat. Now, if they had ingested chocolate or antifreeze I might have a different opinion.

mikey23545 03-06-2012 01:42 AM

This too shall pass...

Bugeater 03-06-2012 01:48 AM

Speaking only from my own experience, I'd take them to the vet. Something similar happened to our old dog, for some reason my son decided to feed her when he got home from school, then my wife fed her again at her usual time when she got home from work about a half an hour later. She was never quite the same after that...threw up a lot and suddenly had problems with going to the bathroom in the house which she never did before. She had so many problems we put her down within six months of that happening. I'm not saying that's what caused it, but it sure seemed to be the beginning of the end for her. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Gonzo 03-06-2012 07:30 AM

If the dog hasn't crapped by noon today, you can try a 1/4 dose of baby laxative. Have your carpet cleaner ready.
Posted via Mobile Device

Carlota69 03-06-2012 07:35 AM

Yeah, I realize a football board is an odd place to seek dog advice, but Ive seen a whole lot weirder on here...

The problem with Dexter is the bloat is weighing heavy on his back, the same back he had surgery on a year and half ago. So, I think Im going to take him in this morning and get him an enema.

Thanks for the responses thogh. And yes,Doxies are pretty much bulletproof.:D

Nzoner 03-06-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 8421212)
Yeah, I realize a football board is an odd place to seek dog advice, but Ive seen a whole lot weirder on here...

Can't argue with that one.

MOhillbilly 03-06-2012 08:10 AM

Withhold food give a vitamin and electrolites mix in there water. Should clear up in 48 hours.

Dayze 03-06-2012 08:47 AM

i knew a guy who's basset hound once ate, on two different occasions, a Tippins aluminum pie tin thing; and a tube of preperation H.

Dog lived forever.

They should be fine; dogs are pretty resilient. HOpe everything works out ok.

Carlota69 03-06-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8421344)
i knew a guy who's basset hound once ate, on two different occasions, a Tippins aluminum pie tin thing; and a tube of preperation H.

Dog lived forever.

They should be fine; dogs are pretty resilient. HOpe everything works out ok.

Agreed. As I was getting ready to take him to to the Vet, he started wrestling with Diggity. So I just took them both for a walk to see if it would help move his bowels. He seems to be feeling better. thank god. Vet bills suck.

Dayze 03-06-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 8421386)
Agreed. As I was getting ready to take him to to the Vet, he started wrestling with Diggity. So I just took them both for a walk to see if it would help move his bowels. He seems to be feeling better. thank god. Vet bills suck.

I hear ya there.
my lab wasn't putting pressure on her hind leg; vet suspected a partially torn ACL/MCL (I can't recall). anyway,.....without doing x-rays etc, the bill was still dang $150 for meds, and the visit etc. eeesh. Sucked even more by her telling us "just try to keep her off it; see if it'll heal on it's own".

lol.
although the alternative was to have surgery to repair it.
Year later, my lab runs around and plays like nothing ever happened.