ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Nike Sues Reebok for Selling NYJ Tebow Jerseys (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257851)

Chiefnj2 03-28-2012 11:16 AM

Nike Sues Reebok for Selling NYJ Tebow Jerseys

Nike (NKE) claimed in a lawsuit in U.S. District Court that Reebok International has used Tebow's name on Jets-related apparel without permission since it was announced last week that Tebow was traded from the Denver Broncos to New York.

The Tebow trade occurred just before Nike replaces Reebok as the official supplier of NFL team uniforms for the 2012 season.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, claims Reebok misappropriated publicity rights, interfered with business relationships and unjustly enriched itself because it failed to get Tebow's permission before launching the products.

Reebok, based in Canton, Mass., did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment. The lawsuit said Reebok did not respond to demands to cease Tebow apparel sales after a Tebow representative sent a letter to the company Friday.

Reebok is a subsidiary of Adidas (ADDDF).

According to the lawsuit, new Nike-supplied uniforms for all 32 NFL teams will be unveiled next week in New York City, kicking off a five-year deal for Nike to be the league's exclusive provider of on-field apparel, including game uniforms and sideline apparel. Reebok was the supplier for the past decade.

The lawsuit said demands for Tebow-related Jets apparel was intense last week during a normally subdued time for NFL merchandise sales.

It said Nike, based in Beaverton, Ore., believes Reebok was shipping large volumes of Tebow-related apparel products to retailers for sale to the public this week, damaging Nike's ability to capitalize on a "unique and short-lived opportunity."

The lawsuit added that it was unlikely that a consumer who buys an unauthorized Tebow jersey or T-shirt from Reebok this week will buy an authorized Tebow item from Nike next week.

Frazod 03-28-2012 11:19 AM

Who the hell would want one?

BoneKrusher 03-28-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8498921)

ROFL
maybe someone wanted for a crash test dummy.

Epic Fail 007 03-28-2012 11:41 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ROFL

HemiEd 03-28-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8498921)

Nobody I know, but he does have quite a following. I think this is the main reason NY wanted him, to sell the hype.

mr. tegu 03-28-2012 11:43 AM

Poor Nike missing out on dozens of sales.

BoneKrusher 03-28-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8498959)
Nobody I know, but he does have quite a following. I think this is the main reason NY wanted him, to sell the hype.

that would be my guess.
it would be cool if all those Tebow/Broncos fans became Jets fans and did the billboard thing in NY.

qabbaan 03-28-2012 11:50 AM

Same reason why if Tebow were here we would have plenty of people calling for him. Matt Sanchez and Mark Cassel leave fan bases crying for someone, anyone else. At least Tebow is a project rather than what Mark Cassel and Matt Sanchez are, which are decent backup QBs entrenched as starters only because the team has no other options.

Okie_Apparition 03-28-2012 11:53 AM

Tebow has created gang green fever
what a twist

ChiefsCountry 03-28-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8498975)
Same reason why if Tebow were here we would have plenty of people calling for him. Matt Sanchez and Mark Cassel leave fan bases crying for someone, anyone else. At least Tebow is a project rather than what Mark Cassel and Matt Sanchez are, which are decent backup QBs entrenched as starters only because the team has no other options.

Mark Sanchez is a way better QB than Matt Cassel.

mr. tegu 03-28-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8498975)

Nobody can hate Cassel that much can they? :hmmm:

qabbaan 03-28-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8498988)
Matt Sanchez plays for a way better team than Mark Cassel.

fixies

HemiEd 03-28-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 8498968)
that would be my guess.
it would be cool if all those Tebow/Broncos fans became Jets fans and did the billboard thing in NY.

Yep, they need constant fuel to feed that media frenzy. This ought to give them plenty of crap to media about for the next few years.

BoneKrusher 03-28-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8498993)

you forgot about me. :D

HemiEd 03-28-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8498993)

I can't think of a single QB in the NFL, that I wouldn't prefer. Wait, Palko is done right, not in the NFL anymore correct?

You have to hand it to them for marching out the only guy that was available, that was worse.