ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Where do you rent your NEW RELEASE movies from? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260242)

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 01:20 PM

Where do you rent your NEW RELEASE movies from?

Just curious......and why? Do you favor one service or method above all others?

Buy Them from Wal Mart, Best Buy, Target etc...
Blockbuster
Mom and Pop store
Redbox
iTunes
Amazon
Vudu
CinemaNow
Cable Provider PPV

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 02:08 PM

If it's a movie I know I like I just go ahead and buy it from a Target or Best Buy. If I am not sure I go to Blockbuster to rent it since they are the only place to get true new releases. I also like supporting a long time business that is struggling so much. Considering how much our society wants immediate satisfaction it shocks me that a RedBox can knock out Blockbusters even though you have to wait a month for new movies.

siberian khatru 06-06-2012 02:12 PM

I've been streaming them off VuDu, but I've got a couple of Redbox coupons from frozen pizza boxes I need to use.

frankotank 06-06-2012 02:16 PM

VUDU or PPV....usually VUDU though. they seem to have a better selection and sometimes get the newest stuff first.

speakig of renting from VUDU....watched a new one last night....
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON JOHN CARTER!!!
DON'T DO IT!

Bewbies 06-06-2012 02:19 PM

Typically Amazon. I have VUDU and Cinema Now but have not used them yet...

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8663320)
Typically Amazon. I have VUDU and Cinema Now but have not used them yet...

I noticed Amazon and Vudu charge the same prices for new releases....but Amazon lets you rent for 48hrs and Vudu only 24hrs.

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663288)
If it's a movie I know I like I just go ahead and buy it from a Target or Best Buy. If I am not sure I go to Blockbuster to rent it since they are the only place to get true new releases. I also like supporting a long time business that is struggling so much. Considering how much our society wants immediate satisfaction it shocks me that a RedBox can knock out Blockbusters even though you have to wait a month for new movies.

I would be all over Blockbuster if they would figure out that a $5 rental for 4 days or whatever isn't a sustainable business model anymore. Many people don't want to rent a movie for a week. I want to spend $1 and have it for less than a day. That's one of the reasons Redbox is so attractive (aside from convenience).

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8663331)
I would be all over Blockbuster if they would figure out that a $5 rental for 4 days or whatever isn't a sustainable business model anymore. Many people don't want to rent a movie for a week. I want to spend $1 and have it for less than a day. That's one of the reasons Redbox is so attractive (aside from convenience).

Redbox is about $1.30 per night now and I suspect with decreased competition will only keep increasing. The time before my last rent it was $1.20. But Blockbuster still has the benefit of getting the new releases first. A while back before they started closing stores they were actually doing the $1 per night thing except they just can't compete with the Redbox regarding convenience. I have seen some Blockbuster boxes popping up. I wonder how they are doing.

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663368)
Redbox is about $1.30 per night now and I suspect with decreased competition will only keep increasing. The time before my last rent it was $1.20. But Blockbuster still has the benefit of getting the new releases first. A while back before they started closing stores they were actually doing the $1 per night thing except they just can't compete with the Redbox regarding convenience. I have seen some Blockbuster boxes popping up. I wonder how they are doing.

There's one of those at a Publix about 20 miles from me... never even considered it since there are 5 Redbox kiosks within 5 miles of me.

jiveturkey 06-06-2012 02:47 PM

Netflix or Amazon download

listopencil 06-06-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663288)

I would rather use RedBox than Blockbuster. The locations are substantially more convenient and most of the complete crap that Hollywood churns out isn't worth seeing in a theater if at all. For that matter, it's not even worth paying more than $1.50 for the entire family and I'm not in any hurry to get to see it. When the occasional very good movie comes out, or when I know that the movie watching experience of something that I want to see will benefit greatly from the theater environment, then I will go to the theater.

listopencil 06-06-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8663385)
Netflix or Amazon download

We watch a lot of Netflix. It has replaced our normal television viewing.

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8663382)
There's one of those at a Publix about 20 miles from me... never even considered it since there are 5 Redbox kiosks within 5 miles of me.

That is the same case for me. I imagine that when the creators of Redbox thought to put their product in McDonalds they felt like they were having an epiphany.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-06-2012 02:59 PM

http://www.bitsoup.org/

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663397)
That is the same case for me. I imagine that when the creators of Redbox thought to put their product in McDonalds they felt like they were having an epiphany.

Oddly, we don't have one at our McDonald's. We have two at the Winn Dixie, two at the Wal-Mart and one at the CVS.