ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games A $100 game console called Ouya is smashing records on Kickstarter (Video) (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261371)

Sofa King 07-13-2012 09:18 AM

A $100 game console called Ouya is smashing records on Kickstarter (Video)
 
Ouya raised its first million in just 8 hours on Kickstarter. Now itís over four. Is this the future of gaming?

<iframe id="viddler-8c902c1b" src="//www.viddler.com/embed/8c902c1b/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=34983434&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

Swanman 07-13-2012 01:21 PM

I started a thread about this the day the kickstarter happened. It's a really cool idea, and since the console will be completely open to both software and hardware tinkering, it will be up to the users to see what it can be capable of. Some top indie developers are already on board so I can see it gathering momentum really quickly.

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 01:33 PM

Here's the link since no one else feels like posting it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console

30K consoles purchased already? Yowza.

Guru 07-13-2012 01:36 PM

Something makes me think this will be a big dud

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 01:37 PM

I like it, but 8GB storage and 1GB of RAM? That's not going to cut it for a console.

Swanman 07-13-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737333)
I like it, but 8GB storage and 1GB of RAM? That's not going to cut it for a console.

It will have one or multiple sd card slots so you could push storage up above 100 GB potentially. As for RAM, PS3 has 256MB and 360 has 512MB, so 1 GB is plenty in comparison.

Guru 07-13-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737333)
I like it, but 8GB storage and 1GB of RAM? That's not going to cut it for a console.

you will be able to plug extra storage in via usb and sdcard.

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8737338)
It will have one or multiple sd card slots so you could push storage up above 100 GB potentially. As for RAM, PS3 has 256MB and 360 has 512MB, so 1 GB is plenty in comparison.

The PS3 was released in 2006, the 360 in 2005. To say 1GB is enough in 2012/13 is silly, especially with the price of RAM today.

Sofa King 07-13-2012 01:46 PM

Anything that increases competition is good.

Swanman 07-13-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737361)
The PS3 was released in 2006, the 360 in 2005. To say 1GB is enough in 2012/13 is silly, especially with the price of RAM today.

Consoles are not multitasking machines like laptops or desktops. They run basically one thing at a time, so extra ram would be wasted, regardless how cheap it is.

ReynardMuldrake 07-13-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8737365)
Consoles are not multitasking machines like laptops or desktops. They run basically one thing at a time, so extra ram would be wasted, regardless how cheap it is.

RAM is for more than just multitasking. Less RAM = lower res textures and more frequent load times. Also makes it less futureproof.

Mr. Laz 07-13-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8737362)
Anything that increases competition is good.

this

Swanman 07-13-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8737369)
RAM is for more than just multitasking. Less RAM = lower res textures and more frequent load times. Also makes it less futureproof.

It wouldnt surprise me if they make it so you can add your own RAM. Depends on the mobo they use.

SuperChief 07-19-2012 12:28 PM

Live Q&A with the creator at !2:30 CST here: http://bit.ly/O07LQR

jd1020 07-19-2012 12:53 PM

Make a console that can use a keyboard and mouse and I'll care.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.