ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Worst Congress Ever? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262566)

banyon 08-19-2012 07:24 AM

Worst Congress Ever?

Analysis: Congress Is Least Productive In Decades
By Brian NaylorAugust 15, 2012

http://www.wbur.org/npr/158887971/an...ive-in-decades

An analysis by USA Today says this Congress may be the least productive since the end of World War II. Sixty-one bills became law so far this year, 90 bills last year. So it's not surprising that Congress' approval rating is 10 percent.

MELISSA BLOCK, HOST:

Just 10 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing, according to a new Gallup poll. And this next story is not likely to raise that number. According to one analysis, this Congress is on a pace to be the least productive in recent memory.

NPR's Brian Naylor reports.

BRIAN NAYLOR, BYLINE: The analysis was conducted by USA Today. Looking at records of the House Clerk's Office, they found 3,914 bills have been introduced by lawmakers this year, but just 61 of them have become law. In 2011, Congress passed 90 laws. That's much less than the previous record for futility in the mid-1990s.

In contrast, the Congress of 1947 and '48, which President Harry Truman famously ran against as the Do-Nothing Congress, passed over 900 laws; among them, the Marshall Plan that financed the rebuilding of Europe after World War II.

Congressional scholar Norman Ornstein, of the American Enterprise Institute, says this Congress has done nothing nearly as significant.

NORMAN ORNSTEIN: We don't have anything comparable to a Marshall Plan here. And what we have instead is a debt limit debacle, a failure of the supercommittee, an inability to pass a farm bill in the midst of the worst drought since the Great Depression, a failure to tackle in any way a looming fiscal cliff that could send the country back down into a recession, and passage of a bunch of commemorative bills naming post offices.

NAYLOR: A spokesman for the House says Republicans there have approved more than 30 bills that are now languishing in the Democratic-controlled Senate. But many are measures that stood no chance of ever being approved, like repealing the health care law.

Lawmakers will be returning to Washington next month, and they'll most likely reconvene after the election for a lame duck session. And unless they act, steep budget cuts will automatically take effect, while the Bush tax cuts will expire - the so-called fiscal cliff. But it's unclear whether lawmakers, faced with all that, will suddenly find the keys to productivity.

Brian Naylor, NPR News, Washington. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-19-2012 11:07 AM

Have you seen the bills they've tried to pass? doing nothing is actually a net positive these days.

Direckshun 08-19-2012 11:12 AM

I posted a thread recording this exact phenomenon.

Some self-described small government folks will come in here declaring this as a positive thing because the less Congress does, the better.

What they fail to recognize is that an inactive government is not the same thing as a small one.

banyon 08-19-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8832531)
Have you seen the bills they've tried to pass? doing nothing is actually a net positive these days.

I know that's the bumper sticker theme, but really?

In the middle of the worst drought in decades? Just let the fiscal cliff throw us into another recession or Depression?

Even if you were a Tea Party republican, you'd want bills cutting taxes and regulations I would think.

And the passing 33 bills to repeal Obamacare thing is pretty lame.

SNR 08-19-2012 11:41 AM

Q

KILLER_CLOWN 08-19-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon (Post 8832606)
I know that's the bumper sticker theme, but really?

In the middle of the worst drought in decades? Just let the fiscal cliff throw us into another recession or Depression?

Even if you were a Tea Party republican, you'd want bills cutting taxes and regulations I would think.

And the passing 33 bills to repeal Obamacare thing is pretty lame.

Obamacare needs to be repealed, do something else. I have zero faith we will cut spending until we're completely bankrupt.

RINGLEADER 08-19-2012 12:12 PM

"Worst Congress Ever?"

"Analysis: Congress Is Least Productive In Decades"

These two statements, to me, appear to be contradictory.

Direckshun 08-19-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8832543)

Some self-described small government folks will come in here declaring this as a positive thing because the less Congress does, the better.

What they fail to recognize is that an inactive government is not the same thing as a small one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 8832683)
"Worst Congress Ever?"

"Analysis: Congress Is Least Productive In Decades"

These two statements, to me, appear to be contradictory.

And, scene.

Chocolate Hog 08-19-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8832543)

Where's the budget?

banyon 08-19-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8832742)
Where's the budget?

Good point. Add that to the list.

Brock 08-19-2012 01:35 PM

Yeah, I wish we could go back to when they were passing stupid laws by the bucketload. "Productive", my ass.

Chocolate Hog 08-19-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8832893)
Yeah, I wish we could go back to when they were passing stupid laws by the bucketload. "Productive", my ass.

I agree we should be repealing more laws but we aren't. I guess Dick does have a point.

Rain Man 08-19-2012 04:20 PM

I am begging people to vote out every incumbent in the next election. Begging.

mlyonsd 08-19-2012 04:33 PM

The 2010 election was a referendum on 2006 and 2008. The Tea Party evolved from the dems in full control. It happened for a reason.

There are two schools of thought in play and our system was built for this very situation. I'm good with that.

Chocolate Hog 08-19-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8833321)
I am begging people to vote out every incumbent in the next election. Begging.

How much are you willing to pay?