ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Adding vents to a basement heating/cooling system? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262576)

Silock 08-19-2012 11:59 AM

Adding vents to a basement heating/cooling system?

We are refinishing the basement, which is a full basement. About 2/3rds of it is going to be our theater room, but there are only 2 vents for the whole place. As such, it gets a little cold during the winter (read: a LOT cold). Would it be possible to just run some more vents to increase airflow downstairs, or would that **** up the whole house due to a more dispersed airflow?

Thanks in advance.

milkman 08-19-2012 12:00 PM

I do all my venting on here.

Silock 08-19-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8832656)
I do all my venting on here.

Hmm, no wonder there's so much hot air.

milkman 08-19-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8832662)
Hmm, no wonder there's so much hot air.

Just take your computer down to the basement, open up Chiefsplanet, and it should be all good.

mlyonsd 08-19-2012 12:06 PM

Sure you can add vents. Insulating the outside walls will make a big difference too.

jd1020 08-19-2012 12:07 PM

Depends. Homes are sized for cooling, not heating. Takes more to move cold air than hot. I'd just add a couple of space heaters.

milkman 08-19-2012 12:07 PM

Seriously, though, I hope someone here can provide you with the answer you need.

I am as far from handy as an elephant with a sledge hammer in hs trunk.

DaneMcCloud 08-19-2012 12:36 PM

I'd recommend calling a few HVAC companies for advice and bids. Costco, at least in SoCal, has affordable options that feature their personal guarantee. Call their toll free number to see if they offer service in your area.

I'm sure that it's possible but you may need to add a new furnace. Good luck!

Rain Man 08-19-2012 01:09 PM

if the furnace is downstairs you could run vents did but usually the hot air is coming out of the top of the furnace. you would have to do a 180 on the vents and get them down to the floor to have much impact. I would recommend doing baseboard electric heat instead. it will also be quieter in the theater that way.

jd1020 08-19-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8832821)
if the furnace is downstairs you could run vents did but usually the hot air is coming out of the top of the furnace. you would have to do a 180 on the vents and get them down to the floor to have much impact. I would recommend doing baseboard electric heat instead. it will also be quieter in the theater that way.

That's not how you run ducts.

Rain Man 08-19-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8832829)
That's not how you run ducts.

Hence my recommendation.

jd1020 08-19-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8832833)
Hence my recommendation.

There's nothing wrong with vents being on the ceiling if you are heating a basement with a basement unit. You just need to be sure you have the proper size ducts to add a few extra vents and you'll need a return somewhere. You'll also have to consider the effect it will have on the cooling, since that is how homes are sized.

I'd call around to HVAC companies and get someone out who's familiar with sizing and have him look at what you've got and if you can add a couple then add them. If you can't, without getting a new unit, then just add some space heaters.

scho63 08-19-2012 01:21 PM

Look into some of the new radiant heat options. They are much simpler than in the past and much less expensive.

Rain Man 08-19-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 8832856)
Look into some of the new radiant heat options. They are much simpler than in the past and much less expensive.

I really lament not putting in-floor heating into my kitchen when we redid it. It wasn't that expensive and our kitchen only has one vent, so it's cooler than I'd like in the winter, particularly the tile floor.

Rain Man 08-19-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8832844)
There's nothing wrong with vents being on the ceiling if you are heating a basement with a basement unit. You just need to be sure you have the proper size ducts to add a few extra vents and you'll need a return somewhere. You'll also have to consider the effect it will have on the cooling, since that is how homes are sized.

I'd call around to HVAC companies and get someone out who's familiar with sizing and have him look at what you've got and if you can add a couple then add them. If you can't, without getting a new unit, then just add some space heaters.

I'm not an HVAC expert (wait - this is the Internet, I can be whoever I want to be!), but it seems like ceiling heat vents are going to be very inefficient.