ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Religion Creation Seminar 1 - Kent Hovind - Age of the Earth (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262893)

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 09:56 PM

Creation Seminar 1 - Kent Hovind - Age of the Earth

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/szBTl3S24MY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ClevelandBronco 08-26-2012 10:01 PM

It took only six days for God to generate all of creation and this guy can't wrap up his thoughts about it in less than 2:33:49?

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 8855731)
It took only six days for God to generate all of creation and this guy can't wrap up his thoughts about it in less than 2:33:49?

Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

ClevelandBronco 08-26-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8855814)
Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

Not unless the thing formed likes being smote.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 8855824)
Not unless the thing formed likes being smote.

;)

ClevelandBronco 08-26-2012 10:30 PM

There's a group of really good folks who come to our house irregularly for brunch after church. We've discussed it and they all say they believe the creation story as it's told in Genesis. Personally, I think they're making the Bible into a false idol.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 8855846)
There's a group of really good folks who come to our house irregularly for brunch after church. We've discussed it and they all say they believe the creation story as it's told in Genesis. Personally, I think they're making the Bible into a false idol.

So how do you think we're supposed to know GOD? Do you believe GOD would leave us here without instruction? Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

Pitt Gorilla 08-26-2012 10:44 PM

Wow, this dude does NOT like Mormons.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8855884)
Wow, this dude does NOT like Mormons.

Sure he does, where does he imply hatred towards Mormons or anyone for that matter?

Brock 08-26-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8855876)
So how do you think we're supposed to know GOD? Do you believe GOD would leave us here without instruction? Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

If all you need is the bible, what is the purpose of praying? God doesn't need a book to tell you what is right or wrong.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8855907)
If all you need is the bible, what is the purpose of praying? God doesn't need a book to tell you what is right or wrong.

I don't believe i've stated that all you need is the bible.

Pitt Gorilla 08-26-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8855886)
Sure he does, where does he imply hatred towards Mormons or anyone for that matter?

Good Lord, dude, settle down. Nobody said hate (aside from you). I don't think I was more than 7 minutes or so in when he began making Mormon jokes and noting how their "becoming gods" is against his views.

cdcox 08-26-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 8855846)

Pretty much with you here. My church body teaches (not the basis of a typical Sunday sermon, but still the official doctrine of the church) a literal 7 day creation. Try as I might, I can't reconcile any theological system that starts from a 7-day creation with science. But you start tugging on that thread and pretty soon the whole tapestry comes unraveled leaving a giant pile of thread at your feet. It always ends up undermining my whole Christian faith. The liberal mainline bodies end up throwing so much stuff out, that there is no God remaining, while the Roman Catholics introduce too many beliefs that aren't biblical or practiced in the early church, leaving me with no spiritual home of similar believers. It's been a life long struggle for me.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-26-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8855932)
Good Lord, dude, settle down. Nobody said hate (aside from you). I don't think I was more than 7 minutes or so in when he began making Mormon jokes and noting how their "becoming gods" is against his views.

I never settled up, therefore don't need to settle down. Just because he said that doesn't mean he doesn't like Mormons. I would lay pretty good odds he would see that as a challenge.

ClevelandBronco 08-26-2012 11:15 PM

Again, it's just my opinion, but the Bible for me isn't the living word of God. For me, the Bible is the word of men trying to tell part of the story of God to an audience with limited ability to understand in their own times and places using their own similarly limited languages, and scientific and cultural tools. Certainly it's a history of God, and it's important to know the history of anything you want to know more deeply in the present.

However, for me, the word of God is the living Christ who communicates with me through the Holy Spirit. Sometimes he uses the Bible to communicate with me (I don't want to give you the impression that I don't value the wisdom contained therein), but sometimes I'm led to believe that parts of those books are true for some people some of the time, and not true for others at other times.

Great is the mystery of faith.