ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Definition of a Hero? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263222)

Dayze 09-05-2012 08:33 AM

Definition of a Hero?
 
Ok....I don't want to word this the wrong way, so forgive me if I do.

I hear alot about Hero's every time there is mention of anyone in the armed services. This sort of bothers me. Much in the same way that the term 'great' is used left and right when announcers/fans etc describe a 'good' player etc. I think the over-usage of these terms diminishes the impact of the words themselves. I think there are plenty of hero's in the armed forces, however II don't think the word should be used with such a borad stroke.

From my standpoint, the service men and women that most refer to as "Hero's" is a little over the top. In my mind, a Hero is someone who goes way above and beyond; potentially paying the ultimate sacrifice for his comrades or civilians..

I think the correct term for servicemen/women is 'Patriot'. Save the 'hero' term for the true Hero's.

Flame away (....though I didn't intend to offend)

Donger 09-05-2012 08:35 AM

I agree. To me, a hero is someone who willingly puts their life in danger to help someone else.

Direckshun 09-05-2012 08:36 AM

I think it's someone who does something that people would generally not want to do in order to selflessly help another person.

Obviously this would have a lot of different degrees to it, and it should have some exceptions built in, but that's my general rule of thumb.

Lightrise 09-05-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8879408)
Ok....I don't want to word this the wrong way, so forgive me if I do.

I hear alot about Hero's every time there is mention of anyone in the armed services. This sort of bothers me. Much in the same way that the term 'great' is used left and right when announcers/fans etc describe a 'good' player etc. I think the over-usage of these terms diminishes the impact of the words themselves. I think there are plenty of hero's in the armed forces, however II don't think the word should be used with such a borad stroke.

From my standpoint, the service men and women that most refer to as "Hero's" is a little over the top. In my mind, a Hero is someone who goes way above and beyond; potentially paying the ultimate sacrifice for his comrades or civilians..

I think the correct term for servicemen/women is 'Patriot'. Save the 'hero' term for the true Hero's.

Flame away (....though I didn't intend to offend)

I struggled with this same question for years actually. I finally got to the point where I could see that I was influenced by the movie culture in the 50's and 60's. They helped paint the picture of extraordinary heroism. That's not the message they should have sent, if it was their purpose to do so. Heroism is much broader in reality I think.

Dayze 09-05-2012 08:58 AM

This all came about when someone at work found out I was in the Navy, and thanked me; and said something to the effect of "We need more hero's like you" etc.

uhhhh, ok?

I'm proud of what I did; proud to serve....but in no way would I ever consider myself a hero
Just odd to me that it's used with such regularity. I think it's something to do with the atmoshphere since 9/11

mikey23545 09-05-2012 09:00 AM

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5...attonwarmo.jpg

Dayze 09-05-2012 09:01 AM

lol. god damn.

patteeu 09-05-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8879448)
This all came about when someone at work found out I was in the Navy, and thanked me; and said something to the effect of "We need more hero's like you" etc.

uhhhh, ok?

I'm proud of what I did; proud to serve....but in no way would I ever consider myself a hero
Just odd to me that it's used with such regularity. I think it's something to do with the atmoshphere since 9/11

I agree with you about the overuse of that word. I know plenty of dopes who served in the military along with lots of great guys.

But don't kid yourself. You're not just a hero, you're a superhero. I get a tear in my eye when I see your avatar and my wife is always asking me why I can't be more like Dayze.

fan4ever 09-05-2012 10:19 AM

The term "hero" has been thrown about so much that it's lost its impact...which is sad for the true heroes. Kind of like the "participation" trophies kids get nowadays...the kids who deserved the true trophies get that much less recognition. I guess it makes sense though; we have so few true heroes to point to anymore.

Aries Walker 09-05-2012 10:31 AM

I'm OK with calling active duty service members, who voluntarily sign up to get shot at to defend our country with whatever means they need to, heroes. I would be less enthusiastic about applying the term to a supply clerk or logistics clerk, but as for the front lines, I think it applies.

What bothers me is when it's applied to, for example, athletes.

LVNHACK 09-05-2012 10:48 AM

http://www.rangerup.com/notahero.html

Dayze 09-05-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8879560)
I agree with you about the overuse of that word. I know plenty of dopes who served in the military along with lots of great guys.

But don't kid yourself. You're not just a hero, you're a superhero. I get a tear in my eye when I see your avatar and my wife is always asking me why I can't be more like Dayze.

see...you 'get it'. If only everyone else would, then I wouldn't feel weird wearing the damn cape everyday.

Dayze 09-05-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8879690)
I'm OK with calling active duty service members, who voluntarily sign up to get shot at to defend our country with whatever means they need to, heroes. I would be less enthusiastic about applying the term to a supply clerk or logistics clerk, but as for the front lines, I think it applies.

What bothers me is when it's applied to, for example, athletes.

:cuss::#
no joke.

La literatura 09-05-2012 11:00 AM

I think the real heroes are the politicians who send the soldiers off to die. That's a hard decision to make.

La literatura 09-05-2012 11:02 AM

I think a hero is someone who gives up their life for a greater cause than themselves. For example, a suicide bomber for the cause of Palestinian liberation.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.