ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Economics How Do You Grow the Economy From the Middle Out (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263292)

RINGLEADER 09-06-2012 08:29 PM

How Do You Grow the Economy From the Middle Out
 
I keep hearing this line from the Dems. How, precisely, do you grow the economy "from the middle out?"

BigRedChief 09-06-2012 08:32 PM

Without a strong middle class its impossible to have a strong America.

Saul Good 09-06-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8884675)
Without a strong middle class its impossible to have a strong America.

Good job of saying something without saying anything.

HonestChieffan 09-06-2012 08:36 PM

Would jobs help? Maybe giving employers a reason to expand rather than a threat of confiscation would hel

mlyonsd 09-06-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 8884669)
I keep hearing this line from the Dems. How, precisely, do you grow the economy "from the middle out?"

You have Obama, Clinton, and Biden say it and then hope money monkeys fly out of your butt.

All while depressing our economy even further by putting policies into place that make energy more expensive.

AustinChief 09-06-2012 08:44 PM

The ONLY way I can think of is with government jobs. Otherwise it always has to start top-down.

Well, I guess you could call SMALL small businesses as "middle." But I consider ANY business owner a "top" regardless of size or income.

Might help if they DEFINED the middle first.

BucEyedPea 09-06-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

How Do You Grow the Economy From the Middle Out
The same way men grow from the middle out. Sell and drink lots of beer.

RINGLEADER 09-06-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8884706)
The ONLY way I can think of is with government jobs. Otherwise it always has to start top-down.

Well, I guess you could call SMALL small businesses as "middle." But I consider ANY business owner a "top" regardless of size or income.

Might help if they DEFINED the middle first.

Well, I could sort of see how you can do a short-term stimulus from the middle out with money, but I still don't understand where that money that is being passed out is supposed to come from or how passing the money out creates future members of the middle class.

The biggest problem that the left has with this kind of talk is that I can't find the practical economic reasoning that shows that it is sustainable or works? I'd really like to hear the explanation from those that support Obama since this, coupled with "fairness" seem to be the motivating factors that drive his economic message.

I just don't see how you sustain an economy with this approach. Doing things that aren't as efficient or rewarding in the name of morality is stupid when you have a 16 trillion dollar axe hanging over your head.

BucEyedPea 09-06-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8884706)
The ONLY way I can think of is with government jobs. Otherwise it always has to start top-down.

Well, I guess you could call SMALL small businesses as "middle." But I consider ANY business owner a "top" regardless of size or income.

Might help if they DEFINED the middle first.

At first I thought you meant from the top of the govt down based on those first two lines.

BucEyedPea 09-06-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8884675)
Without a strong middle class its impossible to have a strong America.

And the middle class grew, not from the govt but beginning in the Industrial Revolution through markets and mechanization.

AustinChief 09-06-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 8884718)
At first I thought you meant from the top of the govt down based on those first two lines.

YIKES. I should have made that more clear. Definitely not what I was meaning.

Amnorix 09-06-2012 09:01 PM

One thing you could do immediately is revise some of the Fair Labor Standards Act (which governs overtime and exemption from overtime laws) to limit/eliminate certain classes of what are currently "exempt" employees. By exempt, these employees can be made to work heinous overtime hours for no additional pay. It's great for employers but not so great for overworked employees. Would probably also force a fair number of larger companies to hire as well, since they'd otherwise be forced to pay time-and-a-half etc.

Would need to study the degree to which this would hurt smaller businesses, however, who might not be able to afford the hit. I know for a fact, however, that large corporations in down economies are abuisng the crap out of this to squeeze their workforce to hell and gone.

Rain Man 09-06-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8884756)
One thing you could do immediately is revise some of the Fair Labor Standards Act (which governs overtime and exemption from overtime laws) to limit/eliminate certain classes of what are currently "exempt" employees. By exempt, these employees can be made to work heinous overtime hours for no additional pay. It's great for employers but not so great for overworked employees. Would probably also force a fair number of larger companies to hire as well, since they'd otherwise be forced to pay time-and-a-half etc.

Would need to study the degree to which this would hurt smaller businesses, however, who might not be able to afford the hit. I know for a fact, however, that large corporations in down economies are abuisng the crap out of this to squeeze their workforce to hell and gone.

I would take my company to Costa Rica if this happened. No offense.

I think the standards are too high now. I've had employees with deadline responsibilities who had to go home because they were hourly, which then leaves them feeling bad and causes deadline problems. The government should not be involved in how I manage my company and how my employees manage their careers.

Rain Man 09-06-2012 09:06 PM

The first thing I'd like to do is define the middle class. What is it? I think we need to start defining it in terms of standard of living rather than income.

LiveSteam 09-06-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8884767)
I would take my company to Costa Rica if this happened. No offense.

I think the standards are too high now. I've had employees with deadline responsibilities who had to go home because they were hourly, which then leaves them feeling bad and causes deadline problems. The government should not be involved in how I manage my company and how my employees manage their careers.

Rep


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.