ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Microsoft preparing to deliver major blow to PC gaming? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264022)

htismaqe 09-21-2012 10:11 AM

Microsoft preparing to deliver major blow to PC gaming?
 
There's an article in the latest issue of GI that I found pretty interesting, if not downright scary.

As many of you know, Microsoft is targeting Windows 8 as a "unified interface" that will run ubiquitously on all of their devices - mobile, desktop PC, TV appliances, and perhaps even XBox.

Here's the kicker - this new version of Windows Mobile (I think they called it RT or something) is like Apple/iTunes/iOS. NOBODY publishes software for Windows Mobile without approval from Microsoft. It's the same model as they use for XBox Live. Microsoft gets approval and right of refusal on ALL software distributed via the platform. That means they get to dictate pricing if they want. That means they can delay patches if they want. It means they can prioritize their own 1st-party titles if they want.

There were quotes from major players in the industry like Blizzard in the article and they're very concerned. At the very least, they could make development for PC just enough more difficult that it stifles innovation. At worst, they could choke off the one thing that really sets PC gaming apart from consoles, essentially killing services like Steam.

GordonGekko 09-21-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8932775)
There's an article in the latest issue of GI that I found pretty interesting, if not downright scary.

As many of you know, Microsoft is targeting Windows 8 as a "unified interface" that will run ubiquitously on all of their devices - mobile, desktop PC, TV appliances, and perhaps even XBox.

Here's the kicker - this new version of Windows Mobile (I think they called it RT or something) is like Apple/iTunes/iOS. NOBODY publishes software for Windows Mobile without approval from Microsoft. It's the same model as they use for XBox Live. Microsoft gets approval and right of refusal on ALL software distributed via the platform. That means they get to dictate pricing if they want. That means they can delay patches if they want. It means they can prioritize their own 1st-party titles if they want.

There were quotes from major players in the industry like Blizzard in the article and they're very concerned. At the very least, they could make development for PC just enough more difficult that it stifles innovation. At worst, they could choke off the one thing that really sets PC gaming apart from consoles, essentially killing services like Steam.

Microsoft really is becoming this generation's Sears.

KILLER_CLOWN 09-21-2012 10:26 AM

Screw Microshaft.

Valiant 09-21-2012 10:31 AM

They would not do it. 1, a revolt would happen for their products, 2, it would open the door for a rival or newcomer. Hp and others I am sure would love to sell a google OS PC, they could sell it cheaper and with higher profit margin, win/win. Only loser would be MS. This is why I do not think they would do it. Altering the desktop gaming would ruin their goose.

htismaqe 09-21-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8932809)
They would not do it. 1, a revolt would happen for their products, 2, it would open the door for a rival or newcomer. Hp and others I am sure would love to sell a google OS PC, they could sell it cheaper and with higher profit margin, win/win. Only loser would be MS. This is why I do not think they would do it. Altering the desktop gaming would ruin their goose.

That sounds good in theory but it just can't be that simple.

For one, a Google-powered machine today has almost NO appeal to a hardcore gamer.

Right now Google-powered gaming is essentially Angry Birds. Browser and flash-based games. One has to wonder of the top-flight publishers will find a way to monetize blockbuster games on a Google platform - my guess is that it just won't be lucrative.

It will be interesting for sure.

Deberg_1990 09-21-2012 11:25 AM

Heh, remember when the web and computing was fun, open and standardized? I feel like we have come full circle again to years ago with everyone wanting to make enclosed ecosystems that don’t work with others…... Google, Apple, Microsoft……..

KILLER_CLOWN 09-21-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8932898)
Heh, remember when the web and computing was fun, open and standardized? I feel like we have come full circle again to years ago with everyone wanting to make enclosed ecosystems that don’t work with others…... Google, Apple, Microsoft……..

Enclosed systems suck, consoles are ftl and dead to me.

GordonGekko 09-21-2012 01:11 PM

Consoles have their place, especially for the kiddies. But PC gaming is king and is where consoles get their inspiration. The moment a new console hits (720 or PS4) it will already be outdated in terms of the gaming PC's that are out there. PC's just cost a lot more.

Valiant 09-21-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8932850)
That sounds good in theory but it just can't be that simple.

For one, a Google-powered machine today has almost NO appeal to a hardcore gamer.

Right now Google-powered gaming is essentially Angry Birds. Browser and flash-based games. One has to wonder of the top-flight publishers will find a way to monetize blockbuster games on a Google platform - my guess is that it just won't be lucrative.

It will be interesting for sure.

Umm, I am talking about them rolling out a OS to put on PCs. If MS went this route, they could move in, hardware would stay the same.

Discuss Thrower 09-21-2012 01:27 PM

Why would a big boy like Blizzard be worried about this?

htismaqe 09-21-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8933208)
Umm, I am talking about them rolling out a OS to put on PCs. If MS went this route, they could move in, hardware would stay the same.

Google already has an OS for PCs. It's essentially nothing more than a productivity kiosk. It's not conducive to gaming AT ALL.

I think you're oversimplifying by quite a bit.

htismaqe 09-21-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 8933209)
Why would a big boy like Blizzard be worried about this?

I'll have to see if I can find a digital copy of the article and post it. It would make more sense to see what they said verbatim. It wasn't just Blizzard.

listopencil 09-21-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8933208)
Umm, I am talking about them rolling out a OS to put on PCs. If MS went this route, they could move in, hardware would stay the same.

Yep. If MS does this, and it screws up availability, I will walk away from Windows and never look back. the biggest reason I still use Windows is compatibility with software I want. Google has the money, the tech savvy and the rep to destroy Windows if MS wants to do something like this.

Mr. Laz 09-21-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 8933209)
Why would a big boy like Blizzard be worried about this?

Microsoft says to make your games available on our PC OS you have to make it available on Xbox first.

or something


typical microsuck asshattery

Luke Warm 09-21-2012 04:22 PM

I LOVE my PS3.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.