ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General Politics Just saw my first Obama non-attack ad (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264100)

mlyonsd 09-23-2012 08:06 AM

Just saw my first Obama non-attack ad
 
I live near Iowa and watch their local stations so I've seen a lot of ads.

I finally saw an Obama ad that didn't attack Romney, instead it focused on how bad things were when Obama came to office and how Obama is leading us to the promised land. Forward.

Anyway, one line in the ad states Obama will continue to support (throw your tax dollars) towards green energy.

WTF? Didn't we already learn this lesson? If green energy is going to succeed it only should in the open market.

Obama's elitist policies and call to kill the coal industry should be reason enough for him not to be re-elected. We can't kill our cheapest form of energy and expect to compete in the global economy.

I find it amazing some are still buying his snake oil.

stonedstooge 09-23-2012 08:16 AM

Elections every year need funding. Duh

InChiefsHell 09-23-2012 08:17 AM

He just needs more time. FORWARD!

jiveturkey 09-23-2012 08:22 AM

So you support 0 government investment in green technology?

We'll just wait around for the Chinese to control every aspect of the green sector (current on pace to kick everyone's ass in solar) and then hand more money over to them. Step two = bitching about the Chinese controlling the green sector and wondering why we didn't do more.

J Diddy 09-23-2012 08:24 AM

It's common sense. Unless you throw everything out the window that scientists have proven.

BigRedChief 09-23-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8937195)
Anyway, one line in the ad states Obama will continue to support (throw your tax dollars) towards green energy.

WTF? Didn't we already learn this lesson? If green energy is going to succeed it only should in the open market.

Sure, lets sit on our hands and let the Chinese get a monopoly on that market. Go America! :thumb:

HonestChieffan 09-23-2012 09:12 AM

So many commercial success have come about as a result of government directive.

mlyonsd 09-23-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8937230)
So you support 0 government investment in green technology?

We'll just wait around for the Chinese to control every aspect of the green sector (current on pace to kick everyone's ass in solar) and then hand more money over to them. Step two = bitching about the Chinese controlling the green sector and wondering why we didn't do more.

I don't support killing an industry that will provide us cheap energy for several lifetimes while at the same time throw money towards an energy source that at best is just a supplement. Especially with our debt.

The administration has proven government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers.

mlyonsd 09-23-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 8937236)
It's common sense. Unless you throw everything out the window that scientists have proven.

If common sense is putting yourself at a disadvantage when you're already 16T in debt and growing, you need to reevaluate the definition of 'common sense'.

tredadda 09-23-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8937195)
I live near Iowa and watch their local stations so I've seen a lot of ads.

I finally saw an Obama ad that didn't attack Romney, instead it focused on how bad things were when Obama came to office and how Obama is leading us to the promised land. Forward.

Anyway, one line in the ad states Obama will continue to support (throw your tax dollars) towards green energy.

WTF? Didn't we already learn this lesson? If green energy is going to succeed it only should in the open market.

Obama's elitist policies and call to kill the coal industry should be reason enough for him not to be re-elected. We can't kill our cheapest form of energy and expect to compete in the global economy.

I find it amazing some are still buying his snake oil.

Saw the same commercial in Colorado. I hate being in a battleground state as we get inundated with political ads from both politicians and all these political groups. Sadly it will only get worse as Nov draws closer. Also the govt subsidizes all sorts of research, why shouldn't they subsidize green energy as fossil fuels are finite and won't last forever.

Comrade Crapski 09-23-2012 09:39 AM

Is he bringing that worthless douchebag Van Jones back to be the "green czar"?

LMAO

mlyonsd 09-23-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 8937411)
Saw the same commercial in Colorado. I hate being in a battleground state as we get inundated with political ads from both politicians and all these political groups. Sadly it will only get worse as Nov draws closer. Also the govt subsidizes all sorts of research, why shouldn't they subsidize green energy as fossil fuels are finite and won't last forever.

Because they have decided green energy is more important than cheap energy, even though it will never, ever replace it. You have no problem with Obama killing coal? When our economy is heading toward a cliff?

How does that make us competitive in the future?

People letting Obama getting away with this can't see the forest thru the trees.

Radar Chief 09-23-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8937230)
So you support 0 government investment in green technology?

We'll just wait around for the Chinese to control every aspect of the green sector (current on pace to kick everyone's ass in solar) and then hand more money over to them. Step two = bitching about the Chinese controlling the green sector and wondering why we didn't do more.

How so?
Unless they've had some huge breakthrough in the efficiency of photovoltaic cells they're no further along than we are.

Comrade Crapski 09-23-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8937436)
Because they have decided green energy is more important than cheap energy, even though it will never, ever replace it. You have no problem with Obama killing coal? When our economy is heading toward a cliff?

How does that make us competitive in the future?

People letting Obama getting away with this can't see the forest thru the trees.

This is Obama's idea of job creation:

Coal producer Alpha Natural Resources said Tuesday it's cutting production by 16 million tons and eliminating 1,200 jobs companywide, including 400 with the immediate closing of eight mines in Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

The mine shutdowns start Tuesday, while the rest of the layoffs will be completed by the end of the first quarter after Alpha fulfills current sales obligations, Chief Executive Officer Kevin Crutchfield said. In all, the layoffs amount to nearly a tenth of Alpha's 13,000-person work force.

Alpha said it is closing four mines in West Virginia, three in Virginia and one in Pennsylvania. They are a mix of deep and surface mines. All the mines being closed are non-union operations.

Alpha didn't immediately name the mines because they wanted to inform all the workers first.

Though some miners will stay on to seal the operations, most will either be reassigned or laid off immediately.

Support positions will also be cut proportionally as Alpha reduces its operating regions from four to two, Crutchfield said, and two executives will retire Nov. 1.

Crutchfield called it "a difficult day," but said the shutdowns and layoffs are a necessary part of ensuring Alpha survives in what has become a difficult U.S. market, where coal companies face a dual challenge: Power plants are shifting to cheap, abundant natural gas, while companies like his face "a regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal."

"We think the actions we're taking are aimed at getting ahead of this on a proactive basis and getting set up for 2013 going forward," he said.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...ANR&ticker=ANR

tredadda 09-23-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8937436)
Because they have decided green energy is more important than cheap energy, even though it will never, ever replace it. You have no problem with Obama killing coal? When our economy is heading toward a cliff?

How does that make us competitive in the future?

People letting Obama getting away with this can't see the forest thru the trees.

Slow down there hero.

1. Considering fossil fuels are FINITE meaning there is only a limited amount of them, what will replace them if not green energy?

2. When did I ever mention even ONCE in the year and a half I have been on this board that I was cool with Obama killing coal?

3. When should we invest in a replacement for fossil fuels? Should we do it now when we still have enough to meet our needs or should we scramble at the last second when they are almost gone and thusly have no choice?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.