ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Pappy's better than KC BBQ? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264201)

RunKC 09-24-2012 05:44 PM

Pappy's better than KC BBQ?
 
Ok so my friend in St. Louis is telling me that Pappy's and some shit ass place called 17th street is better BBQ than KC and that we are overrated.

I've never had St. Louis BBQ and she's had KC BBQ once (she had Arthur Bryant's).

Have any of you had the BBQ in St. Louis? I'm for damned sure KC's is top notch and those ****ers can't even begin to challenge us.

Note: I have heard from a few friends that Pappy's is in the same league as KC BBQ.

KCTitus 09-24-2012 05:48 PM

Ive had Pappy's several times. It's good...it's not Gates, Jack Stack or Arthur Bryants...not even close.

Canofbier 09-24-2012 05:51 PM

Screw you for provoking everyone on this board with that stupid thread title. :cuss:

On topic: I've had Pappy's more than once, and while it's good, it doesn't compete with the best of KC.

KCUnited 09-24-2012 05:52 PM

The ****? Negged.

aturnis 09-24-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 8946649)
Ive had Pappy's several times. It's good...it's not Gates, Jack Stack or Arthur Bryants...not even close.

What about OK Joes?

OnTheWarpath58 09-24-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 8946654)
Screw you for provoking everyone on this board with that stupid thread title. :cuss:

On topic: I've had Pappy's more than once, and while it's good, it doesn't compete with the best of KC.

And that's the key. Best of KC.

I personally don't think Gates or AB's are anything special. I think they are ridiculously overrated. OK Joe's is phenomenal, IMO. Haven't had LC's, but heard good things.

I'd put Pappy's below OKJ, but above the other two.

IIRC, Zagat named them a Top 10 in the US last year.

ILChief 09-24-2012 06:13 PM

17th street originated in murphysboro, il. I have had it several times and its very good. They have won Memphis in May several times (team name is apple city BBQ). It's a different style sauce than KC BBQ. I've had jack stack and i would say the brisket is better at jack stack and the ribs may be better at 17th street (although I had spare ribs at jack stack and baby backs at 17th st)

Simply Red 09-24-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8946667)
And that's the key. Best of KC.

I personally don't think Gates or AB's are anything special. I think they are ridiculously overrated. OK Joe's is phenomenal, IMO. Haven't had LC's, but heard good things.

I'd put Pappy's below OKJ, but above the other two.

IIRC, Zagat named them a Top 10 in the US last year.

IDK, personally I'd rather be served a Gates triple decker ham+beef combo on Wonder bread by a fat African American woman in KC vs. A Cowboy-Ribeye from The Capital Grill on Pharr Rd. overlooking the Atlanta skyline.

Baby Lee 09-24-2012 06:19 PM

Pappy's is competent and competitive with a good bit of KC BBQ, but it's no OKJoes, LCs or JackStack.

Additionally, their sauces are their weak point, not bad but decidedly not distinctive.

Ribs, Brisket, Chicken and Hot Links are their high points, in descending order

Pass on the pulled pork.

Simply Red 09-24-2012 06:22 PM

I like Sticky Fingers ok, over in the Carolinas, yes it's basically bbq fast food, but it's better than anything over here in Georgia.

gblowfish 09-24-2012 07:40 PM

St. Louis is much better for italian food (The Hill District) and for Frozen Custard (Ted Drewes best in the USA)

But leave the BBQ to KC.

We got this, seriously.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-24-2012 07:47 PM

your friend is a stupid c*nt.

Reaper16 09-24-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 8946643)
my friend in St. Louis

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8946941)
your friend is a stupid c*nt.

Redundant.

Molitoth 09-24-2012 07:51 PM

how come there is so much love for jack stack and never mention of smokehouse?
from what I've heard it was a family split and a very similar recipes. I eat smokehouse cause I'm in the northland, but my god I love it.

Mr. Flopnuts 09-24-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8946954)
how come there is so much love for jack stack and never mention of smokehouse?
from what I've heard it was a family split and a very similar recipes. I eat smokehouse cause I'm in the northland, but my god I love it.

I just discovered this, and my understanding is it's not a family split. The daughter of the guy who owns Smokehouse decided to take his recipes to an upscale level. Someone I'm sure can verify whether this is true or not. I'm hitting this place up the next time I go to KC. From what I hear, Smokehouse is where the players for the Chiefs go and get their BBQ.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.