ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues RNC's Acorn? RNC Fires Firm Over Florida Questions (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264386)

Dave Lane 09-29-2012 01:35 AM

RNC's Acorn? RNC Fires Firm Over Florida Questions
 
A big embarrassment came this week for the Republican Party, which has made voting integrity and fighting voter fraud a major issue.

A consulting firm hired by the Republican National Committee to register voters in five battleground states has been let go after one of its workers apparently submitted over 100 questionable registration forms in Florida's Palm Beach County.

The party severed its ties with the firm Strategic Allied Consulting because it has "zero tolerance" for voter fraud, said RNC spokesman Sean Spicer.

"We take allegations of anything that would undermine the integrity of elections very seriously," Spicer said. The RNC paid the company, which was formed by an Arizona political consultant, $3 million to register voters in Florida, Colorado, Nevada, North Carolina and Virginia.

The company hired individuals to go out and sign up voters. But workers in Palm Beach County's election office became suspicious when they saw registration forms with similar-looking signatures and other irregularities, such as commercial instead of residential addresses. Elections Supervisor Susan Bucher said she took her concerns to local Republicans, who arranged a meeting with a representative of the company, who then helped identify even more questionable forms.


Local authorities are investigating, and so too is the state.

Chris Cate, a spokesman for the Florida secretary of state's office, said suspicious registrations have been uncovered in six counties, although he said it's not clear yet if they were all from the same firm.

The incident is embarrassing to Republicans for several reasons.

First, the party has used the issue of voter fraud to push new voting restrictions in Florida and elsewhere. The laws have become a major point of contention in the current campaign. Democrats say the laws which include voter ID requirements and limits on voter registration drives are intended to suppress the votes of minorities and others who tend to vote Democratic. Republicans say Democrats aren't interested in preventing voter fraud although evidence of such fraud is rare.

Secondly, Spicer said the Florida incident looks like a case of "one bad apple" in an organization. And indeed, Strategic Allied Consulting's attorney, Fred Petti, issued a statement saying that the company has "zero tolerance" for breaking the law and "accordingly, once we learned of the irregularities in Palm Beach County, we were able to trace all questionable cards to one individual and immediately terminated our working relationship with the individual in question." He did not name the person.

But this is almost exactly the same response that the community organizing group ACORN gave when it was accused of filing fraudulent voter registration forms in past elections a response that was widely rejected by Republicans.

The RNC made ACORN a major target in the 2008 presidential campaign, accusing it of widespread voter fraud and trying to link the organization to then-candidate Barack Obama implying that the Democrat wanted to use fraudulent votes to win.

The third reason this is embarrassing for Republicans is that Strategic Allied Consulting was formed by an Arizona consultant named Nathan Sproul, whose past registration efforts have been the subject of numerous allegations of irregularities. In several instances, those working for Sproul whose company has operated under several different names were accused of discarding registration forms filled out by Democrats. The allegations were investigated, but no charges were filed.

Sproul did not return messages from NPR, but he told NBC News on Thursday that the company hired between 4,000 and 5,000 individuals to register voters for the RNC, and that the individuals received instructions not to falsify forms. However, he added: "No matter what quality controls you have, there are always going to be bad actors in any large-scale operation."

Sean Spicer said the RNC won't ask Sproul for its money back, because the voter registration efforts are complete. Spicer did not know how many people the company signed up to vote in the five states.

mlyonsd 09-29-2012 06:29 AM

I first heard about this two days ago on Fox News.

The difference between this episode and ACORN is obvious in that it was shut down by the party running it. Unlike ACORN.

BigRedChief 09-29-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8958183)
I first heard about this two days ago on Fox News.

The difference between this episode and ACORN is obvious in that it was shut down by the party running it. Unlike ACORN.

FACT CHECK:The official Democratic committee didn't run ACORN.

This was the official Republican party committing deliberate voter fraud.

No equivalency.

mlyonsd 09-29-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8958239)
No equivalency.

The only reasons I can think this might be true:

- None of the people from this group working for the republicans have been convicted of voter fraud (yet) like the Acorn group. (even though it should be looked at and convicted if true)

- Nobody from the Strategic Allied Company has been directly hired by the RNC, which isn't true for the DNC and Acorn.

J Diddy 09-29-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8958183)
I first heard about this two days ago on Fox News.

The difference between this episode and ACORN is obvious in that it was shut down by the party running it. Unlike ACORN.

But yet didn't run on in here and tell us about this travesty of justice. I mean you guys are so big on voter integrity and all, outraged by the prospect of any cheating going on, but yet failed to report this to the board.

That's kind of odd.

mlyonsd 09-29-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 8958362)
But yet didn't run on in here and tell us about this travesty of justice. I mean you guys are so big on voter integrity and all, outraged by the prospect of any cheating going on, but yet failed to report this to the board.

That's kind of odd.

Whatever man. The reps showed integrity and corrected the situation on their own. Did you want me to post that?

BucEyedPea 09-29-2012 10:24 AM

Republicans are cheating and I suspect it's the warmonger wing. They cheated in the primary, and not just on Ron Paul but the other candidates too. They are cheating by trying to kick Johnson off ballots in 7 or so states. I heard about some fishy business in Cali recently too.

They haven't got a clue that they'd win if they just nominate someone who represents the key issues to most Americans.

J Diddy 09-29-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8958373)
Whatever man. The reps showed integrity and corrected the situation on their own. Did you want me to post that?

No, I wanted you to post why they would hire a firm ran by a guy who has previous allegations made against him about questionable voter registration.

J Diddy 09-29-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 8958398)
Republicans are cheating and I suspect it's the warmonger wing. They cheated in the primary, and not just on Ron Paul but the other candidates too. They are cheating by trying to kick Johnson off ballots in 7 or so states. I heard about some fishy business in Cali recently too.

They haven't got a clue that they'd win if they just nominate someone who represents the key issues to most Americans.

and who is that guy? Because he sounds like God and I think he's a little too busy to clean up our mess.

mlyonsd 09-29-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 8958401)
No, I wanted you to post why they would hire a firm ran by a guy who has previous allegations made against him about questionable voter registration.

No that isn't what you wanted to know.

BucEyedPea 09-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 8958404)
and who is that guy? Because he sounds like God and I think he's a little too busy to clean up our mess.

You're a jerk. Just look at polls for those key issues. I didn't say every issue...but then you're not a good reader.

J Diddy 09-29-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8958411)
No that isn't what you wanted to know.

Well I do now. Why associate with such a person?

mlyonsd 09-29-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 8958425)
Well I do now. Why associate with such a person?

I don't know, you'll have to ask the RNC. Like I said if voter fraud was committed prosecute them to the letter of the law.

While you're at it find out from the DNC why they never stepped in and stopped Acorn from committing voter fraud and why they hired a person directly associated with them.

J Diddy 09-29-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 8958413)
You're a jerk. Just look at polls for those key issues. I didn't say every issue...but then you're not a good reader.

I'm a jerk because I stated the obvious?

J Diddy 09-29-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8958438)
I don't know, you'll have to ask the RNC. Like I said if voter fraud was committed prosecute them to the letter of the law.

While you're at it find out from the DNC why they never stepped in and stopped Acorn from committing voter fraud and why they hired a person directly associated with them.

This isn't about Acorn or the DNC, and I agree they should be. This is about a party that has made such an ungodly stink about how dems are trying to steal an election and why this protection is needed and that protection is needed.

Bottom line is this. By associating with such a person that eliminates their argument that voter integrity is paramount. If that argument is eliminated then they went through all those changes in voting requirement for one reason and that reason was to suppress the opposing vote.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.