ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Obama's waiver for DREAMers would stay put under Romney. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264555)

Direckshun 10-02-2012 07:12 AM

Obama's waiver for DREAMers would stay put under Romney.
 
Amnesty! Amnesty!

In all seriousness, a pleasing piece of moderation from what's seemed up to this point to be a hard-right campaign.

It's unlikely Romney wins this election anyway, but I hope this is the start of the GOP slowly untethering itself from its hardest base on immigration issues.

A man can dream, amiright. (No pun intended.)

http://www.denverpost.com/nationalpo...have-temporary

Mitt Romney would allow waivers to children of illegal immigrants
By Allison Sherry
Posted: 10/01/2012 09:44:11 PM MDT

Young illegal immigrants who receive temporary work permits to stay in the United States under an executive order issued by President Barack Obama would not be deported under a Mitt Romney administration, the GOP presidential hopeful told The Denver Post Monday.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased," Romney said. "Before those visas have expired we will have the full immigration reform plan that I've proposed."

In June, Obama issued an executive order that will allow the so-called "dreamers" — kids who were brought here by their illegal immigrant parents when they were young — a temporary reprieve from deportation if they stay out of trouble and meet certain requirements such as graduating from a U.S. high school.

The Obama administration has sharply criticized Romney's earlier ideas for immigration reform, which have called for all citizens living in the U.S. illegally to self-deport.

Romney said in a sit-down interview with The Post aboard his campaign bus ahead of a Denver rally that he would work with Congress in the first year to pass permanent immigration reform legislation.

He didn't furnish specifics on that plan, but has said in previous interviews that students who served in the military may get a path to citizenship.

"I actually will propose a piece of legislation which will reform our immigration system to improve legal immigration so people don't have to hire lawyers to figure out how to get here legally," Romney said. "The president promised in his first year, his highest priority, that he would reform immigration and he didn't. And I will."

Obama's order mirrors the "DREAM" Act, which has been dead on arrival in every Congress that's tried to pass it. It was blocked by Senate Republicans two years ago.

Romney also was hazy about the future of Colorado's medical marijuana industry, which reaps more than $5 million a year in state sales taxes, saying his administration would enforce federal drug laws, that prohibit marijuana for any use.

"I oppose marijuana being used for recreational purposes and I believe the federal law should prohibit the recreational use of marijuana," he said.

Romney will spend Tuesday holed up preparing for the first presidential debate Wednesday at the University of Denver. He said he was looking forward to sharing a stage with the president to clear up distortions of the last few months.

"I think what's going to happen in this debate is each of us will get the opportunity to describe our pathway forward for America," Romney said. "And for the last several weeks and months, the president has dramatically distorted my own views. I look forward to the debate so people will understand what I actually believe."

Romney said he knew not everyone was going to agree with him after Wednesday's face-off.

"Do they want to continue with the status quo, which has lead to a circumstance where we now have three years where each year the rate of growth in our economy has slowed," he said. "The policies of the past are not working."

After the interview, Romney delivered an economic speech to a crowd of roughly 6,000 at the Wings Over the Rockies air and space museum in Denver's Lowry neighborhood.

The Obama campaign dismissed Romney's speech by arguing his plan would ease taxes on the wealthy and raise taxes for the middle class, a claim Romney disputes.

"The economy is not in recovery," Romney said to a lively crowd packed in an old hanger full of old airplanes. "We're not seeing a real recovery. The president's policies have not worked."

patteeu 10-02-2012 07:16 AM

It would be a pretty shitty thing to do to pull the rug out from under these people who came out of the shadows and admitted their status in return for a promise of a 2 year VISA. As much as this program shouldn't have been started to begin with, the government shouldn't reneg on it's commitment just because Romney takes over at the helm.

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8969777)
Amnesty! Amnesty!

In all seriousness, a pleasing piece of moderation from what's seemed up to this point to be a hard-right campaign.

It's unlikely Romney wins this election anyway, but I hope this is the start of the GOP slowly untethering itself from its hardest base on immigration issues.

A man can dream, amiright. (No pun intended.)

http://www.denverpost.com/nationalpo...have-temporary

Mitt Romney would allow waivers to children of illegal immigrants
By Allison Sherry
Posted: 10/01/2012 09:44:11 PM MDT

Young illegal immigrants who receive temporary work permits to stay in the United States under an executive order issued by President Barack Obama would not be deported under a Mitt Romney administration, the GOP presidential hopeful told The Denver Post Monday.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased," Romney said. "Before those visas have expired we will have the full immigration reform plan that I've proposed."

In June, Obama issued an executive order that will allow the so-called "dreamers" kids who were brought here by their illegal immigrant parents when they were young a temporary reprieve from deportation if they stay out of trouble and meet certain requirements such as graduating from a U.S. high school.

The Obama administration has sharply criticized Romney's earlier ideas for immigration reform, which have called for all citizens living in the U.S. illegally to self-deport.

Romney said in a sit-down interview with The Post aboard his campaign bus ahead of a Denver rally that he would work with Congress in the first year to pass permanent immigration reform legislation.

He didn't furnish specifics on that plan, but has said in previous interviews that students who served in the military may get a path to citizenship.

"I actually will propose a piece of legislation which will reform our immigration system to improve legal immigration so people don't have to hire lawyers to figure out how to get here legally," Romney said. "The president promised in his first year, his highest priority, that he would reform immigration and he didn't. And I will."

Obama's order mirrors the "DREAM" Act, which has been dead on arrival in every Congress that's tried to pass it. It was blocked by Senate Republicans two years ago.

Romney also was hazy about the future of Colorado's medical marijuana industry, which reaps more than $5 million a year in state sales taxes, saying his administration would enforce federal drug laws, that prohibit marijuana for any use.

"I oppose marijuana being used for recreational purposes and I believe the federal law should prohibit the recreational use of marijuana," he said.

Romney will spend Tuesday holed up preparing for the first presidential debate Wednesday at the University of Denver. He said he was looking forward to sharing a stage with the president to clear up distortions of the last few months.

"I think what's going to happen in this debate is each of us will get the opportunity to describe our pathway forward for America," Romney said. "And for the last several weeks and months, the president has dramatically distorted my own views. I look forward to the debate so people will understand what I actually believe."

Romney said he knew not everyone was going to agree with him after Wednesday's face-off.

"Do they want to continue with the status quo, which has lead to a circumstance where we now have three years where each year the rate of growth in our economy has slowed," he said. "The policies of the past are not working."

After the interview, Romney delivered an economic speech to a crowd of roughly 6,000 at the Wings Over the Rockies air and space museum in Denver's Lowry neighborhood.

The Obama campaign dismissed Romney's speech by arguing his plan would ease taxes on the wealthy and raise taxes for the middle class, a claim Romney disputes.

"The economy is not in recovery," Romney said to a lively crowd packed in an old hanger full of old airplanes. "We're not seeing a real recovery. The president's policies have not worked."

If someone is living in the US as an illegal alien, they are not a citizen.

Also, misleading thread title. Just because Romney is going to honor the commitment Obama made and not terminate the visas early does not mean his administration is going to continue to issue new ones once he assumes office.

Direckshun 10-02-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8969789)
It would be a pretty shitty thing to do to pull the rug out from under these people who came out of the shadows and admitted their status in return for a promise of a 2 year VISA. As much as this program shouldn't have been started to begin with, the government shouldn't reneg on it's commitment just because Romney takes over at the helm.

But designating people who had no say in coming here as children, lived here all their lives and stayed within the law as threats to our law and order = not shitty in the least.

patteeu 10-02-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8969811)
If someone is living in the US as an illegal alien, they are not a citizen.

Also, misleading thread title. Just because Romney is going to honor the commitment Obama made and not terminate the visas early does not mean his administration is going to continue to issue new ones once he assumes office.

Right, and I would hope that he wouldn't.

patteeu 10-02-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8969820)
But designating people who had no say in coming here as children, lived here all their lives and stayed within the law as threats to our law and order = not shitty in the least.

That's a call for the legislature to make, not the President.

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8969833)
That's a call for the legislature to make, not the President.

Why bother with that pesky Congress when you can just sign a nice tidy executive order?

Direckshun 10-02-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8969811)
If someone is living in the US as an illegal alien, they are not a citizen.

Also, misleading thread title. Just because Romney is going to honor the commitment Obama made and not terminate the visas early does not mean his administration is going to continue to issue new ones once he assumes office.

Fair point.

Maybe his position wasn't as moderate as I thought.

BucEyedPea 10-02-2012 07:43 AM

If Romney wins with a R congress intact—expect them to deliver what their Leader wants.

Sorry folks, America is occupied territory these days.

Direckshun 10-02-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8969833)
That's a call for the legislature to make, not the President.

My point stands.

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8969845)
My point stands.

So you agree that Obama is circumventing the legislative process?

Direckshun 10-02-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8969847)
So you agree that Obama is circumventing the legislative process?

By definition, that's what an executive order is.

When did we start having a problem with that?

January 21st, 2009?

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8969864)
By definition, that's what an executive order is.

When did we start having a problem with that?

January 21st, 2009?

Perhaps because Obama is currently on pace to obliterate the record for number of Executive Orders issued.

Direckshun 10-02-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8969870)
Perhaps because Obama is currently on pace to obliterate the record for number of Executive Orders issued.

When you're President during the most unproductive Congress in 60+ years, that's going to happen.

patteeu 10-02-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8969845)
My point stands.

Yes, it stands in a pool of it's own blood. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8969864)
By definition, that's what an executive order is.

When did we start having a problem with that?

January 21st, 2009?

This isn't true. An executive order is a directive to the executive branch from the President about how to carry out the powers authorized by either Congress or the Constitution. At times, such as this one, there are questions about whether such orders are actually in compliance with the law, but it's certainly not a part of the definition. The most usual case where an executive order appears to conflict with a law passed by Congress is when the POTUS believes that Congress has improperly imposed upon his Constitutional powers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.