ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Education Mistakes were made . . . (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264597)

La literatura 10-03-2012 01:01 AM

Mistakes were made . . .

Describe a time when you were just wrong on something and made yourself look stupid or ridiculous.

I'll start. In the process of editing an article with a professor and another person, I wrote that 'such and such should be put this certain way, because such and such is an adjective, describing that noun.'

It turns out that such and such wasn't actually an adjective.

I tried to interject some humor. Life goes on. But it's an ugly feeling.

Who's next?

ClevelandBronco 10-03-2012 01:14 AM

Personally, I don't know how you can continue to live with yourself after something like that. Time to become a homeless drug addict.

La literatura 10-03-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 8972373)
Personally, I don't know how you can continue to live with yourself after something like that. Time to become a homeless drug addict.

I would, but I'd be afraid people would make fun of me as they passed me by on the street.

Pitt Gorilla 10-03-2012 01:22 AM

Um, nobody in this forum makes mistakes. Ever.

La literatura 10-03-2012 01:30 AM

Here was the situation because I know there are some grammar-minded people here.

"His father, the sun god Helios, used the sun as his chariot."

My suggestion: hyphenate "sun-god" because it is an adjective (describing Helios).

But, no, it's not an adjective. It's not describing Helios. It's identifying him, I suppose. So I guess the rule according to the Chicago Manual Style is just keep it "sun god" but perhaps in this case, put a comma after "god."

(And this has been another chapter of First World Problems).

BillSelfsTrophycase 10-03-2012 03:00 AM

First World Problems

headsnap 10-03-2012 06:07 AM

Cool story bro...

jjjayb 10-03-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 8972361)
Describe a time when you were just wrong on something and made yourself look stupid or ridiculous.

I'll start. In the process of editing an article with a professor and another person, I wrote that 'such and such should be put this certain way, because such and such is an adjective, describing that noun.'

It turns out that such and such wasn't actually an adjective.

I tried to interject some humor. Life goes on. But it's an ugly feeling.

Who's next?

You really should have put your bigger mistake. "I voted for Obama".

patteeu 10-03-2012 09:17 AM

In the 7th or 8th grade, my social studies class had an airline pilot come in as a guest speaker during "career week" to tell us about his job. At one point, he asked the class if anyone knew what FAA stood for. Having grown up in the rural suburbs of the KC area and having witnessed many of their conventions in town, I raised my hand and confidently answered "Future Farmers of America". It was humiliating and still haunts me to this day.

SNR 10-03-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSelfsTrophycase (Post 8972435)
First World Problems

This

pimpchief 10-03-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8972757)
This

I got a zero on a big math paper the other day because I thought I turned it in but then I found it. The teacher was cool, and went ahead and graded it instead of the zero, she said mistakes happen. What sucks is I only got twelve questions out of sixty correct.

Saul Good 10-03-2012 10:22 AM

A little over six years ago, I didn't pull out. Now, I'm married with a five and a half year old son.

HonestChieffan 10-03-2012 11:06 AM

I wasnt sure Apple would make it and should have bought a lot more.

Fish 10-03-2012 11:40 AM

Trusted a woman that one time.....

cosmo20002 10-03-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8972744)
In the 7th or 8th grade, my social studies class had an airline pilot come in as a guest speaker during "career week" to tell us about his job. At one point, he asked the class if anyone knew what FAA stood for. Having grown up in the rural suburbs of the KC area and having witnessed many of their conventions in town, I raised my hand and confidently answered "Future Farmers of America". It was humiliating and still haunts me to this day.

In hindsight, don't you wish you would have asked why the passenger windows on planes don't open?