ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Application for ND oil refinery approved, would be first built in US in 30 years (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264947)

bevischief 10-10-2012 01:36 PM

Application for ND oil refinery approved, would be first built in US in 30 years

Application for ND oil refinery approved, would be first built in US in 30 years
NEW TOWN, N.D. - An oil refinery, the first to be built in the United States in more than 30 years, is planned for the Fort Berthold Reservation.

By: Forum Communications, INFORUM

NEW TOWN, N.D. - An oil refinery, the first to be built in the United States in more than 30 years, is planned for the Fort Berthold Reservation.

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today announced approval of an application from the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation for the refinery.

Project developers of the MHA Nation Clean Fuels Refinery estimate it could create 800 to 1,000 construction jobs, up to 140 operations jobs, and millions in annual revenue to benefit the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara tribes and surrounding communities, according to the announcement.

The 13,000 barrel-per-day facility would refine Bakken crude oil into products including diesel fuel and propane.

The tribes requested that the Bureau of Indian Affairs accept a 469-acre piece of property into trust, with a proposed refinery on about 190 acres and the remaining acreage to be used for the production of feed for buffalo.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/376913/

Calcountry 10-10-2012 02:00 PM

Gee, I wonder if they built another one of those in California, we could handle some downtime at the other 2 that are offline right now?

Guess I better clue them solar panels to my car.

Amnorix 10-10-2012 02:13 PM

Wonder if the fact that it's on what I assume is an Indian reservation, which makes it exempt from a bunch of laws as I understand it, is a significant factor? Probably so, and a sad statement on American over-regulation in the space if so.

Environmental regulations are good, but so is processing raw materials into usable products.

Saul Good 10-10-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8998990)
Wonder if the fact that it's on what I assume is an Indian reservation, which makes it exempt from a bunch of laws as I understand it, is a significant factor? Probably so, and a sad statement on American over-regulation in the space if so.

Environmental regulations are good, but so is processing raw materials into usable products.

/reaches across the aisle to shake your hand

Calcountry 10-10-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8998990)

We have more oil in California than Texas.

Oh damn, we can't do anything about it. We still have a shitload of gold, which would help a few folks get back to work, but damn, we can't do anything about it.

We have a rare earth mine in the desert too, but, once again.... Environazis can't have their pristine anything sullied.

qabbaan 10-10-2012 02:35 PM

Would have been nice to have some sort of pipeline bringing Canada's oil to us too, wouldn't it?

Calcountry 10-10-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8999075)
Would have been nice to have some sort of pipeline bringing Canada's oil to us too, wouldn't it?

"Can't wait to become Brazil's best customer" with their off shore oil drilling that Obama supports.

Bring us down, Bring other countries up. Economic justice of an international sort.

Sorry Democrats, you belong to a rich country, and even though you are in the 99%, you are still too damn rich.

stonedstooge 10-10-2012 04:32 PM

Native Americans to try and satisfy another of our addictions.

Donger 10-10-2012 04:36 PM

Cool. May I suggest a brand name of "Firewater"?

stonedstooge 10-10-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8999495)
Cool. May I suggest a brand name of "Firewater"?

LMAO. Look who's getting the last laugh

mlyonsd 10-10-2012 05:00 PM

13k barrels a day isn't really all that much.

Here in SD a Texas company tried for several years to get approval for a 435k barrel a day refinery built just a few miles from me.

The Sierra Club has been fighting them the entire way. The company just gave up the options to the land they had acquired so I don't think it is going to fly.

The environmentalist wackos of this country need a smack down.

RNR 10-10-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8999558)
13k barrels a day isn't really all that much.

Here in SD a Texas company tried for several years to get approval for a 435k barrel a day refinery built just a few miles from me.

The Sierra Club has been fighting them the entire way. The company just gave up the options to the land they had acquired so I don't think it is going to fly.

The environmentalist wackos of this country need a smack down.

A long overdue smack down~

Calcountry 10-10-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 8999564)
A long overdue smack down~

When California implodes, as is almost a mathematical certainty, maybe then.

RNR 10-10-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcountry (Post 8999572)
When California implodes, as is almost a mathematical certainty, maybe then.

As a long time fan of a team out there...I would hope for them to relocate right before it happens ;)

banyon 10-10-2012 05:35 PM

Refineries haven't been applying to build new plants because they like the supply right where it is.