ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Int'l Issues "We can't kill ourselves out of this mess." (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265548)

Direckshun 10-23-2012 12:23 AM

"We can't kill ourselves out of this mess."

Was it just me, or did Mitt Romney say something brilliant and prescient?

****ing applause for the man. Easily his wisest line of the entire election season.

Not even kidding.

Mitt Romney, talking about the war on terror, just rejected every ounce of neoconservativism, drone-reliant warfare of civilian casualties to kill battle-aged men in countries full of brown people.

This is something foreign policy doves have been saying since the turn of the millenia. To defeat terrorism, it is not enough to simply murder a requisite number of bad guys.

You've got to exercise a foreign policy that doesn't unnecessarily incite hatred in foreign countries, and turn down the heat on all the rhetoric and much of the unnecessary, counterproductive behavior that feeds recruitment for these foreign countries.

I think this was the best line of the debate. Bar none. And it's something that's been long overdue out of the mouth of a national-level Republican.

I think Obama won the debate and all that jazz, but credit where it's due. Romney found a winner of a line and an idea. I hope it finds a way to spread.

Comrade Crapski 10-23-2012 12:24 AM

http://www.drudgereport.com

cosmo20002 10-23-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9041670)

You've got to exercise a foreign policy that doesn't unnecessarily incite hatred in foreign countries, and turn down the heat on all the rhetoric and much of the unnecessary, counterproductive behavior that feeds recruitment for these foreign countries.

Sounds like the start of an apology tour to me. Anyway, tomorrow he'll say the opposite at the first campaign rally.

Direckshun 10-23-2012 12:40 AM

Yeah.

I just think it was a very, very true statement, and very well expressed by Romney.

I don't anticipate him following that idea to a better Middle Eastern policy. But a man can dream.

lostcause 10-23-2012 12:43 AM

It may or may not be a winner of a line... but is there any reason to believe that Romney actually subscribes to this idea behind one 7 word sentence? The fact that he said something is no reason to believe he actually is behind it. Unless I've tracked his record incorrectly.

Direckshun 10-23-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostcause (Post 9041704)
It may or may not be a winner of a line... but is there any reason to believe that Romney actually subscribes to this idea behind one 7 word sentence? The fact that he said something is no reason to believe he actually is behind it. Unless I've tracked his record incorrectly.

No no, you'd be right.

His potential and inevitable lack of commitment to that line, however, does not rob it of its saliency.

Hog Farmer 10-23-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

I think he believes that we must change their way of thinking to a peaceful nature but we still gotta kill some key people to get there.

Saul Good 10-23-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

If you can't count to eight, leave the voting to someone else.

LOCOChief 10-23-2012 06:27 AM

there is not difference between the two on foreign policy and I think the debate didn't do anything to deminish his ability to lead in this respect. This issue remains the economy for those who vote for Romney. The question is how many people think the economy is a concern and how does a weakened economy effect our national security.

theelusiveeightrop 10-23-2012 06:38 AM

Nuclear weapons are extremely cost and kill efficient.

KILLER_CLOWN 10-23-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9041859)
Nuclear weapons are extremely cost and kill efficient.

So we should try to kill ourselves?

bsp4444 10-23-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9041842)
If you can't count to eight, leave the voting to someone else.

He meant "one plus seven word sentence".

Brainiac 10-23-2012 06:53 AM

I also thought "Attacking me in not an agenda" was a pretty good line that sums up the entire Obama campaign ever since Romney became the Republican front runner.

blaise 10-23-2012 06:59 AM

That qualifies him for a Nobel Prize, right?

BucEyedPea 10-23-2012 07:12 AM

Mitt could be posturing. I think the Establishment, who owns both puppets, wanted both appear less like warmongers. They know where the people stand. Remember Wilson and FDR voiced not wanting to get into two of Europe's wars and never meant it.