ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Nat'l Security NYC deserves this asshat mayor (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266138)

HonestChieffan 11-03-2012 03:42 PM

NYC deserves this asshat mayor

Looters love guys like this. Nat guard has guns and nutty leftie anti gun kook does not want them to help.

Mayor Bloomberg has snubbed Borough President Markowitz’s impassioned plea to bring the National Guard to Hurricane Sandy-scarred Brooklyn — arguing that approving the Beep’s request would be a waste of federal manpower and turn the borough into a police state.

“We don’t need it,” Mayor Bloomberg said on Wednesday during a press update on the city’s ongoing Hurricane Sandy cleanup. “The NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns.”

Markowitz demanded the National Guard’s help just an hour before Bloomberg’s press conference, claiming that the NYPD and FDNY are “brave — but overwhelmed” by all the challenges Sandy brought when it visited the borough on Monday night: flooding, power outages, and looting.

“All of our resources have been stretched to the limit,” Markowitz said. “In the name of public safety we need to send more National Guard personnel into Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, Gerritsen Beach, Red Hook, and any other locations.”

Markowitz hopes that the sight of an armed soldier would deter criminal activity in the still-unaccessible evacuation zones — such as the rash of break-ins that took place in Coney Island hours after Sandy kissed the borough goodbye — but the Mayor said the NYPD was more than capable of handling the job

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories..._11_02_bk.html

mikey23545 11-03-2012 07:43 PM

Bloomberg should have been stripped naked and thrown out into the darkest, most dangerous streets in NYC for several nights right after Sandy passed through.

Pawnmower 11-03-2012 11:04 PM

The guy is a clown /loon

BigRedChief 11-03-2012 11:06 PM

The guy who tried to ban large sized cokes is a dumbass? Who knew.

jettio 11-03-2012 11:16 PM

I don't think you should have National guard troops acting as theft preventors without a declaration of martial law.

To me, it seems unreasonable to ask a soldier to patrol theft-prone areas when they can't arrest people and they sure have no business shooting bullets at thieves.

It is possible that a thief may have a gun, and it would not be fair to a soldier to send him out with instructions to be a prop with an assault rifle that he can not use, especially when their training is based on combat rules of engagement and not police arrest and police use of force policies.

jspchief 11-04-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jettio (Post 9081456)
I don't think you should have National guard troops acting as theft preventors without a declaration of martial law.

To me, it seems unreasonable to ask a soldier to patrol theft-prone areas when they can't arrest people and they sure have no business shooting bullets at thieves.

It is possible that a thief may have a gun, and it would not be fair to a soldier to send him out with instructions to be a prop with an assault rifle that he can not use, especially when their training is based on combat rules of engagement and not police arrest and police use of force policies.

I think I agree with this. I envision looters taking things while guardsmen watch because they've been ordered to not get involved.

But then the question becomes, what is the proper response if the PD is overwhelmed? Unless there are enough police tasks not related to law enforcement, that the guard can free up officers by taking over.

dmahurin 11-04-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9081628)
I think I agree with this. I envision looters taking things while guardsmen watch because they've been ordered to not get involved.

But then the question becomes, what is the proper response if the PD is overwhelmed? Unless there are enough police tasks not related to law enforcement, that the guard can free up officers by taking over.

National guard would take over the flood and relief efforts freeing up law enforcement to control the looting.

Frazod 11-04-2012 12:44 AM

This guy is the anti-Christie. I talked to my friend in Staten Island yesterday and he said things are terrible - no gas, no groceries, people getting desperate. It's amazing how poorly this is being handled, and that **** of a mayor is probably more upset about having to cancel the marathon than anything else.

The good news? Much like Jane Byrne in Chicago decades ago, this **** has certainly, finally committed political suicide.

listopencil 11-04-2012 12:47 AM

Death by exile.

Ace Gunner 11-04-2012 12:55 AM

It's all on camera
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...y23n-1-web.jpg

BigMeatballDave 11-04-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9081668)
This guy is the anti-Christie. I talked to my friend in Staten Island yesterday and he said things are terrible - no gas, no groceries, people getting desperate. It's amazing how poorly this is being handled, and that **** of a mayor is probably more upset about having to cancel the marathon than anything else.

The good news? Much like Jane Byrne in Chicago decades ago, this **** has certainly, finally committed political suicide.

I bet NO ONE blames Obama.

Bush would have been hammered by now.

And no, I do not think Obama should be blamed.

This is local. City and state officials have completely dropped the ball.

Just like Katrina.

bandwagonjumper 11-04-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9081698)
I bet NO ONE blames Obama.

Bush would have been hammered by now.

And no, I do not think Obama should be blamed.

This is local. City and state officials have completely dropped the ball.

Just like Katrina.

What could there have done differently? I alwasy fine the faith in authorities rather cute.

RedNeckRaider 11-04-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9081668)

You neocons just don't get it. He is fighting obesity. No gas means no pollution, people are getting excercise. People are losing weight by not being able to eat, and they damn sure are not drinking 32oz sodas. This is great leadership, and our like minded president should reward him for it~

Frazod 11-04-2012 08:29 AM

Heh.

More wonderful news from New York. Say what you will about Chicago, but I'm sure shit like this would NOT happen here.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...z4Rnqj0qzDjmvK

NYC Marathon generators needed by Sandy survivors wasted in NJ lot
By KATE KOWSH , SUSAN EDELMAN and DAN MACLEOD
Last Updated: 6:02 AM, November 4, 2012
Posted: 8:59 PM, November 3, 2012
This is one heck of a power trip.

Much-needed generators sat idle all day yesterday in a rental company’s New Jersey parking lot after they were moved from the Staten Island staging area of the New York City Marathon — less than two miles from some of superstorm Sandy’s hardest-hit victims.

A truck carrying 19 generators pulled out early yesterday from Fort Wadsworth and drove to Linden, NJ, where they sat unused for five hours before being hauled to National Grid’s Far Rockaway power station.

The time-wasting move came the day after Deputy Mayor Howard Wolfson claimed that all assets from the canceled marathon “will be redeployed to people who need it.”

A massive marathon generator — big enough to power dozens of homes — was still sitting in the lot late yesterday, with a “Road Runners” sign taped to its side. Another unit was trucked yesterday morning from the borough over the Goethals Bridge to New Jersey and parts unknown.

Even after The Post revealed last week how NYC Marathon organizers and the city were allowing precious generators to stand in Central Park while millions of city residents suffered without heat or light, 14 of the massive electrical units remained in the park last night. Only two were actually being used.

Meanwhile, 10 heaters were hooked up in the canceled race’s medical tent, even though they’re no longer needed.

One 200-kilowatt generator in the park was finally moved yesterday morning to the city-run Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital and Nursing Facility on Roosevelt Island, where frail, elderly residents had gone without heat in their rooms for nearly a week, according to an insider. Yet, inexplicably, the generator was still not plugged in last night.

The two 300-kilowatt generators featured on the front page of Friday’s Post were wastefully running for days in Central Park until yesterday afternoon, when they were finally hauled off, supposedly to storm-ravaged regions.

Another 100-kilowatt generator was also hauled out after sitting idle for days.

The generator roulette enraged New Yorkers suffering with a crippling lack of power, fresh water, food and shelter after Hurricane Sandy ripped through the region last week.

“Staten Island needed those generators,” said Matt Naporko, 30, whose home was completely leveled by the storm. “Even if they helped power one or two more houses, it’s better than nothing. Why waste them by putting them away?”

“It’s like the end of the world here,” said Nick Moudataos, 55, of the devastated Midland Beach section of the island. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime disaster. We don’t have time to guess or play games. You’re playing with people’s lives . . . Give the people what they need.”

“Those generators were a lot of people’s last hopes,” said Brian Kelly, 38, of Midland Beach.

The generators were among at least 45 set aside by the New York Road Runners for the marathon, a race finally scrapped Friday by Mayor Bloomberg after thousands of runners, storm victims and politicians clamored for its cancellation.

Staten Island was still starving for juice, as officials yesterday announced that they were actually bringing in generators from out of state, according to a report.

Marathon officials on Friday had pledged to send marathon resources to help the storm’s victims.

“We have tents set up, we have a lot of Port-a-Johns, we have a lot of things that can be helpful,” said Mary Wittenberg, president of the NYRR. “Whatever we can do to help we’ll be doing helping, including generators and otherwise.”

But many generators have sat idle.

The Coler-Goldwater hospital became a shadowy house of horrors for hundreds of disabled and elderly patients “left to rot,” an insider told The Post — and a generator from the New York City Marathon sat unused at the hospital yesterday.

“The patients are freezing. There’s still no heat,” said a tipster at the home.

A Post reporter who visited Thursday night found one of two buildings lit and the other dark, with some small generators providing meager light in the halls.

One large generator was running yesterday, but a second, 200-kilowatt power source — which came from the marathon’s Central Park finish line and was brought in after The Post inquired about the miserable conditions — was not even turned on.

During the blackout, meals consisted of white bread with cheese or tuna, the insider said. Breakfast on Friday was just grits, with no juice or fruit.

Some in need of medical equipment were evacuated after the storm.

There was a skeleton crew and no batteries for radios, the tipster said.

“They’re letting people sit and rot,” the insider said.

As officials shuffled generators, suffering deepened in the city as a result of the horrific storm:

* The death toll rose to 41 across the city yesterday. On Staten Island, the number climbed to 22 after the bodies of elderly siblings were discovered on Olympia Boulevard: a 65-year-old brother and his 77-year-old sister. Sources said that all missing people have now been accounted for.

* L- and G-train riders were left in the cold, with both lines suffering from flooding, even as the MTA was set to restore 80 percent of the subway system by today.

* There still was no transit for storm-ravaged Rockaways. The Rockaway Park shuttle and the A train were heavily damaged and there’s no timetable for resuming service.

* A free gas giveaway descended into chaos at five fuel stations in the city and Long Island after thousands of fuel-starved New Yorkers descended on the pumps.

* FEMA opened a center yesterday in Staten Island where residents could apply for federal aid — but the agency couldn’t say where cold, homeless residents could sleep at night.

* A group of frustrated residents in the Rockaways cornered Mayor Bloomberg yesterday, angrily demanding that more resources be brought to their neighborhood, one of the hardest-hit sections of the city.

* Unusable poll sites for Tuesday’s elections will be replaced with outdoor tents housing voting machines and heaters hooked to generators, the city said yesterday. Paper ballots are being readied in case the machines fail. Officials are also discussing relocating about 80 poll sites.

* Sixty five schools are not reopening tomorrow because of storm damage — and those that do open will be overcrowded, the city said yesterday.

But of the schools slated to reopen, 178 of them were without power yesterday.

* There were 164,000 Con Ed customers without power in the five boroughs as of 6:30 p.m. yesterday, and another 102,500 in Westchester.

There were 461,800 LIPA customers out of power in Nassau and Suffolk counties and the Rockaways. There were 1.24 million people without power in New Jersey at 3 p.m.

Additional reporting by Kevin Fasick, Erin Calabrese and Frank Rosario

dmacleod@nypost.com

LVNHACK 11-04-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9081911)
Heh.

More wonderful news from New York. Say what you will about Chicago, but I'm sure shit like this would NOT happen here.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...z4Rnqj0qzDjmvK

dmacleod@nypost.com

I don't know that I'd bet on that bro.....:shake: