ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Democrats: Help me find common ground. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266310)

Saul Good 11-07-2012 10:33 AM

Democrats: Help me find common ground.

The people have spoken. Obama gets four more years. Congress remains split. It's compromise or gridlock, but is compromise possible? Everyone talks about bipartisanship, but they usually mean unconditional surrender by the other side.

It's pretty well known around here that I am a conservative. Liberals out there, let's pretend we're in congress. Pick an issue that you would like to address, and let's see if we can really agree to meet somewhere in the middle.

Tax rates, abortion, drug legalization...whatcha got?

Brock 11-07-2012 10:35 AM

Probably ought to start by fixing the tax legislation that's going to run up our tax bills by 3700 dollars in January.

jiveturkey 11-07-2012 10:35 AM

The fiscal cliff the big one and I believe that a lot of us over the last couple of years have called for tax increases, major spending cuts, defense cuts and entitlement reform.

The tax increases are the deal breaker for Reps though.

Everything should be on the table.

Saul Good 11-07-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9095032)
The fiscal cliff the big one and I believe that a lot of us over the last couple of years have called for tax increases, major spending cuts, defense cuts and entitlement reform.

I'm listening...

Dave Lane 11-07-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9095032)

Agree but all these things should be in moderation till the recover gets moving. DURING a recover is the time to cut spending but it never seems to get doen as the priority is lost.

tiptap 11-07-2012 10:40 AM

Use the Clinton template. Raise the taxes at the top of income. This can be by removing tax shelters or just raising rate. We would really like your input. Stop Afghan war and hold military spending absolutely steady. Tell us what you would prioritize to keep US military strong. We prefer investment in people.

We still need to see growth industry. We suggest Natural Gas, Solar/wind, Greening of buildings and growth of electrical intrastructure for distribution and transportation.

cosmo20002 11-07-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9095024)
The people have spoken. Obama gets four more years. Congress remains split. It's compromise or gridlock, but is compromise possible? Everyone talks about bipartisanship, but they usually mean unconditional surrender by the other side.

It's pretty well known around here that I am a conservative. Liberals out there, let's pretend we're in congress. Pick an issue that you would like to address, and let's see if we can really agree to meet somewhere in the middle.

Tax rates, abortion, drug legalization...whatcha got?

Debt ceiling. It is about paying bills already accrued (much of it under the last administration)--its as simple as that. It was never a contentious issue before Obama and now it is an issue for the right to hold the country hostage. It's inexcusable.

htismaqe 11-07-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9095050)
Debt ceiling. It is about paying bills already accrued (much of it under the last administration)--its as simple as that. It was never a contentious issue before Obama and now it is an issue for the right to hold the country hostage. It's inexcusable.

The idea that most of it was under the last administration is patently and blatantly partisan.

Amnorix 11-07-2012 10:43 AM

Hopefully the split in control in DC means a reasonable compromise to avoid the fiscal cliff, one that includes both reasonable tax increases and substantially more spending cuts. Let's pray that happens. The Grand Bargain or whatever NEEDS to happen this time.

BucEyedPea 11-07-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiptap (Post 9095047)

We still need to see growth industry. We suggest Natural Gas, Solar/wind, Greening of buildings and growth of electrical intrastructure for distribution and transportation.

You mean central planning of the economy? Yeah, that'll work.

tiptap 11-07-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9095057)
The idea that most of it was under the last administration is patently and blatantly partisan.

What numbers would you have us use and when do they apply?

htismaqe 11-07-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiptap (Post 9095047)
Solar/wind

No thanks. We have thousands of them and they've done nothing to offset raising energy rates.

Furthermore, we build them here and they are god awful places to work. Closer to 19th century sweat shops than 21st century nirvana.

cosmo20002 11-07-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9095057)

Partisan or not true? Anyway, I said "MUCH," but "MOST" may be true.

cosmo20002 11-07-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9095058)
Hopefully the split in control in DC means a reasonable compromise to avoid the fiscal cliff, one that includes both reasonable tax increases and substantially more spending cuts. Let's pray that happens. The Grand Bargain or whatever NEEDS to happen this time.

Why, because that's what happened before?

htismaqe 11-07-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiptap (Post 9095067)
What numbers would you have us use and when do they apply?

How about we stop blaming Bush (in a VICTORY no less) and talk about the future?

The petty barbs make one look small and ineffectual.