ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Cyber Monday Computer Deal Help (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267038)

La literatura 11-25-2012 02:12 PM

Cyber Monday Computer Deal Help
 
Okay, I'm looking at the following desktop:

Asus CM1740-US-2AD.

Details:
Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-Series APU for Desktops
RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6550D

I have one requirement: It must play the upcoming SimCity, which requires:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
RAM: 2GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better* . . . nVidia 7800 or better* . . . Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better*

Am I good to go?

La literatura 11-25-2012 02:27 PM

This CyberPower PC looks like a strong possibility, too: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPow...=1218811215113

La literatura 11-25-2012 02:30 PM

One more possibility: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...20t-Desktop-PC

KChiefer 11-25-2012 02:33 PM

$520 is overpriced IMO, although I haven't looked at whole pc prices for a long time.

getting a solid state hard drive for your OS(and a separate cheaper hd for storage) is the thing to do these days.

The graphics are integrated, which is ok if you only play sim city. If you go integrated, it's nice to be sure your motherboard has a PCI-E expansion slot so you can upgrade if you want to play newer/higher requirement games.

La literatura 11-25-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9150339)
$520 is overpriced IMO, although I haven't looked at whole pc prices for a long time.

In about an hour, it will go on lightning deal on amazon.

I'd really prefer non-integrated graphic cards, just because I don't want to deal with putting in a new motherboard. I'm not sure how hard that is, though.

loochy 11-26-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9150396)
In about an hour, it will go on lightning deal on amazon.

I'd really prefer non-integrated graphic cards, just because I don't want to deal with putting in a new motherboard. I'm not sure how hard that is, though.

not hard.

you unplug everything, unscrew the mounts, put in the new board, plug everything back in, reboot and set bios settings, done

htismaqe 11-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9153314)
not hard.

you unplug everything, unscrew the mounts, put in the new board, plug everything back in, reboot and set bios settings, done

Provided that everything is compatible, yes. It's really not THAT easy to retrofit a pre-built PC. It's not HARD, but it's not as simple as you make it sound.

loochy 11-26-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9153335)
Provided that everything is compatible, yes. It's really not THAT easy to retrofit a pre-built PC. It's not HARD, but it's not as simple as you make it sound.

and yeah, I ignored the fact that you need to driver install/updates and an OS reinstall isnt a bad idea either.

i was talking from a hardware installation perspective.

Dave Lane 11-26-2012 10:12 AM

This seems like way better deal and if you are in KC you can just go pick it up

http://microcenter.com/product/40332...sktop_Computer

QuikSsurfer 11-26-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9153355)
and yeah, I ignored the fact that you need to driver install/updates and an OS reinstall isnt a bad idea either.

i was talking from a hardware installation perspective.

I believe he meant compatibility to be more form factor rather than driver updates and a OS install... Socket type, accepted memory, and general dimensions of new motherboard MUST be known before just slapping a new one in there.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9153371)
I believe he meant compatibility to be more form factor rather than driver updates and a OS install... Socket type, accepted memory, and general dimensions of new motherboard MUST be known before just slapping a new one in there.

Yeah, this.

La literatura 11-26-2012 10:16 AM

Okay, I'm getting this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15...piron-15r-5520

For about $450.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9153380)
Okay, I'm getting this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15...piron-15r-5520

For about $450.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but I've had a half dozen Dell laptops at various jobs as well as being a Team Leader for an ops group that oversaw a corporate shift from IBM to Dell laptops.

They're junk.

I've used Toshiba, Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo, and Acer laptops. Dell is far and away the worst of the bunch and it's not even close.

La literatura 11-26-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9153401)
I hate to be Debbie Downer but I've had a half dozen Dell laptops at various jobs as well as being a Team Leader for an ops group that oversaw a corporate shift from IBM to Dell laptops.

They're junk.

I've used Toshiba, Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo, and Acer laptops. Dell is far and away the worst of the bunch and it's not even close.

Damn you!

I've never had a Dell myself, but the reviews on this make it sound sturdier than the average Dell.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9153412)
Damn you!

I've never had a Dell myself, but the reviews on this make it sound sturdier than the average Dell.

I've had ones that were built sturdier than others (still have an Inspiron 8000 I bought in 2000). But I've never had a Dell laptop that didn't have some kind of integrated circuitry failure - CPU, sound card, video, Bluetooth, etc. - stuff that isn't just hand-swappable.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.