ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Elections FL Republicans admit it was never about voter fraud (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267093)

suzzer99 11-26-2012 05:34 PM

FL Republicans admit it was never about voter fraud
 
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...er-play/nTFDy/

Former Florida GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason they pushed new election law

Former GOP chair, governor - both on outs with party - say voter fraud wasn’t a concern, but reducing Democratic votes was.

By Dara Kam and John Lantigua

Quote:

Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he attended various meetings, beginning in 2009, at which party staffers and consultants pushed for reductions in early voting days and hours.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. … ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.

“They never came in to see me and tell me we had a (voter) fraud issue,” Greer said. “It’s all a marketing ploy.”
Quote:

Wayne Bertsch, who handles local and legislative races for Republicans, said he knew targeting Democrats was the goal.

“In the races I was involved in in 2008, when we started seeing the increase of turnout and the turnout operations that the Democrats were doing in early voting, it certainly sent a chill down our spines. And in 2008, it didn’t have the impact that we were afraid of. It got close, but it wasn’t the impact that they had this election cycle,” Bertsch said, referring to the fact that Democrats picked up seven legislative seats in Florida in 2012 despite the early voting limitations.
Quote:

“The sad thing about that is yes, there is prejudice and racism in the party but the real prevailing thought is that they don’t think minorities will ever vote Republican,” he said. “It’s not really a broad-based racist issue. It’s simply that the Republican Party gave up a long time ago ever believing that anything they did would get minorities to vote for them.”

But a GOP consultant who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution said black voters were a concern.

“I know that the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day was one of their targets only because that’s a big day when the black churches organize themselves,” he said.
No. Way.

go bowe 11-26-2012 05:40 PM

more communist propaganda...

BucEyedPea 11-26-2012 05:58 PM

Frankly, I think early voting is dumb. Everyone should vote on the same day, unless they have a valid reason for not being able to be in their state. Like work or military or some medical need to be in another state. Then issue an absentee ballot for people like that. There's no need for all these multiple schedules. Then have all this reporting on who is ahead in early voting. Just leave it alone for election day. If that's bad for Democrats then that says something about their base. If blacks can vote on a Sunday then they can vote on election day too.

BucEyedPea 11-26-2012 06:06 PM

Here's another thing: If Rs are targeting minorities or those unlikely to have a high motivation to vote, by not supporting early voting, then the Democrats are providing special treatment to the same to gain advantage. So what's the difference here? None.

La literatura 11-26-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9154779)
Here's another thing: If Rs are targeting minorities or those unlikely to have a high motivation to vote, by not supporting early voting, then the Democrats are providing special treatment to the same to gain advantage. So what's the difference here? None.

The difference is that one group is promoting the exercising of a fundamental freedom, and another group is trying to stop the exercising of that fundamental freedom.

I guess it depends on how important you think fundamental freedoms are.

BucEyedPea 11-26-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9154791)
The difference is that one group is promoting the exercising of a fundamental freedom, and another group is trying to stop the exercising of that fundamental freedom.

I guess it depends on how important you think fundamental freedoms are.

It has nothing to do with that if some people need to be cajoled or catered to in order to vote. Both are trying to take advantage.

La literatura 11-26-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9154798)
It has nothing to do with that if some people need to be cajoled or catered to in order to vote. Both are trying to take advantage.

It has everything to do with the issue I just said. Voting is a fundamental freedom. Trying to prevent citizens from voting is an attempt to obstruct their exercising of that fundamental freedom.

BucEyedPea 11-26-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

With new polls showing the race between President Obama and Republican Mitt Romney tied at 47 percent, Democratic leaders are hoping that early voting will favor Obama.
Proves my point.

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/conte...ng-favor-obama

BucEyedPea 11-26-2012 06:24 PM

If we're gonna have early voting, it should at least be more condensed–like one day. Now instead of Election Day we have Election Month.

BucEyedPea 11-26-2012 07:14 PM

Now why is it okay for the left to pass laws barring pastors from being involved in politics, like urging their parishioners to vote for certain values?

La literatura 11-26-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9154859)
If we're gonna have early voting, it should at least be more condensed–like one day. Now instead of Election Day we have Election Month.

Why is that bad?

La literatura 11-26-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9155056)
Now why is it okay for the left to pass laws barring pastors from being involved in politics, like urging their parishioners to vote for certain values?

There are no laws that bar pastors from being involved in politics. Pastors can urge their parishioners to vote for certain values.

Brainiac 11-26-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9155170)
There are no laws that bar pastors from being involved in politics. Pastors can urge their parishioners to vote for certain values.

It's not against the law for a pastor to tell his parishioners who to vote for. However, the church is supposed to lose its tax exempt status in a situation like that. Tax exempt organizations are prohibited from participating in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Saying that and seeing it enforced are two very different things.

BigRedChief 11-26-2012 08:16 PM

I'm so surprised.

La literatura 11-26-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9155242)
It's not against the law for a pastor to tell his parishioners who to vote for. However, the church is supposed to lose its tax exempt status in a situation like that. Tax exempt organizations are prohibited from participating in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Saying that and seeing it enforced are two very different things.

Nobody loses their tax exempt status for telling their parishioners to vote for certain values.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.