ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues SCOTUS to take on allowing Gays to marry. What say you? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267494)

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 09:03 AM

SCOTUS to take on allowing Gays to marry. What say you?

There are two cases(DOMA and Proposition 8) to be heard by the SCOTUS this session.

At the base of the question is do gay Americans have the same rights as heterosexual Americans? And if so, do they need their constitutional rights protected at the federal level.

I've never had an openly gay friend, co-worker or family member. I did coach a little league baseball team. On that team I had a player with two Mom's. The players and the parents accepted the kid of the two Mom's as any other player. The other parents let their kids go over to the two Mom's house for sleepovers etc. It wasn't a factor to consider in the slightest.

I don't have any personal experience to know what rights is actually being denied. However, I believe that for whatever reason they were born that way. It's not a choice. You can't pray it out of them. You can't give them therapy and turn them into heterosexuals. They are what they are naturally and we should just accept them.

IMHO, the government/city/state/society have no right to tell it's citizens what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom. some of our citizens who they can and who they can't love. Who they can and can't marry. History will not be kind to the discrimination of gays, with cause. It's time to end this era of gay discrimination.

mlyonsd 12-09-2012 09:04 AM

Let the states decide.

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9191066)
Let the states decide.

My only problem with that is the civil rights issue. We didn't allow the southern states to enslave human beings, discriminate against black in housing, voting laws etc.

The states don't get to decide the freedom of individuals. The federal government and the SCOTUS decide what freedoms the constitution allows its citizens.

KILLER_CLOWN 12-09-2012 09:25 AM

I say the government should have no laws respecting marriage one way or another, stay out of it.

mlyonsd 12-09-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9191075)
My only problem with that is the civil rights issue. We didn't allow the southern states to enslave human beings, discriminate against black in housing, voting laws etc.

The states don't get to decide the freedom of individuals. The federal government and the SCOTUS decide what freedoms the constitution allows its citizens.

If SCOTUS leaves it up to the states will you be fine with that then?

Dave Lane 12-09-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9191108)
I say the government should have no laws respecting marriage one way or another, stay out of it.

Why its a purely secular thing.

BigMeatballDave 12-09-2012 09:31 AM

Don't care. I'm not gay, it doesn't affect me.

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9191118)
If SCOTUS leaves it up to the states will you be fine with that then?

the general consensus from the talking heads is that the reason they took this up is to strike it down and make it clear that discrimination against homosexuals is done in America. The SCOTUS are the deciders of our legal battles. but, no, I would not be okay with it because this is not a legal battle.

The SCOTUS decides what is legal and or what their interpretation of the constitution. But, they don't decide what is morally right for the country.

The fact that gays are still being discriminated against in 2012 is a slander on us as a society.

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9191122)
Don't care. I'm not gay, it doesn't affect me.

ROFL Unbelievable.

mlyonsd 12-09-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9191137)
the general consensus from the talking heads is that the reason they took this up is to strike it down and make it clear that discrimination against homosexuals is done in America. The SCOTUS are the deciders of our legal battles. but, no, I would not be okay with it because this is not a legal battle.

The SCOTUS decides what is legal and or what their interpretation of the constitution. But, they don't decide what is morally right for the country.

The fact that gays are still being discriminated against in 2012 is a slander on us as a society.

If I read that right you think SCOTUS took up the issue so they can eliminate gay marriage across the board?

Direckshun 12-09-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9191066)
Let the states decide.

Do you think we should let the states decide if black marriages should be permitted?

HonestChieffan 12-09-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9191137)

And with a ruling from SCOTUS that will go away? Nothing SCOTUS can do will prevent this discrimination you see in your world

A Salt Weapon 12-09-2012 09:52 AM

My only problem with gay marriage is the benefits for spouses on tax-payer funded jobs. Other than that I have no problem with it.
I do not believe it should even be a gov't issue, it's a church thing and shouldn't even be an issue. As that is unlikely I would rather it then become a state issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcan 12-09-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9191158)
And with a ruling from SCOTUS that will go away? Nothing SCOTUS can do will prevent this discrimination you see in your world

Where are all the pro slavery people today?

HonestChieffan 12-09-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9191178)
Where are all the pro slavery people today?

Yea, you are right. Its the same thing