ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV No more loud commercials (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267614)

displacedinMN 12-12-2012 06:00 PM

No more loud commercials
 
TV viewing could soon sound a little calmer. The CALM Act, which limits the volume of TV commercials, goes into effect on Thursday.

CALM stands for Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation. The act is designed to prevent TV commercials from blaring at louder volumes than the program content they accompany. The rules govern broadcasters as well as cable and satellite operators.

The rules are meant to protect viewers from excessively loud commercials.

The Federal Communications Commission adopted the rules a year ago, but gave the industry a one-year grace period to adopt them.

Suspected violations can be reported by the public to the FCC on its website.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/entertainme...#ixzz2Esvn7V7I

Easy 6 12-12-2012 06:05 PM

They did this about 15 years ago and it stuck for about a month.

patteeu 12-12-2012 06:50 PM

I find loud commercials to be pretty annoying, but is this really something we needed the government to regulate?

theelusiveeightrop 12-12-2012 06:52 PM

Aren't mute buttons and DVR's the answer to this problem?

Count Alex's Losses 12-12-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9203451)
Aren't mute buttons and DVR's the answer to this problem?

THIS IS AMERICA.

Commercial playback at a REASONABLE volume is a GOD GIVEN RIGHT.

aturnis 12-12-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9203447)
I find loud commercials to be pretty annoying, but is this really something we needed the government to regulate?

YES! I'm sick of getting nagged at to turn the damned TV down b/c the commercials blare at such a high level. Forcing me to adjust the volume 6-10 times an hour...

Easy 6 12-12-2012 07:43 PM

Try watching GMA in the morning before work, those ads BLAST out of the tv and it never fails to drive me up a wall, i dont want to hear that shit all loud early in the morning.

AustinChief 12-12-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9203447)
I find loud commercials to be pretty annoying, but is this really something we needed the government to regulate?

Tough call, as long as we have an FCC than I'd say yes, this falls under their purview. Solid argument could be made that this falls under the realm of interstate commerce and therefore is a constitutionally valid exercise of federal power.

If you are simply objecting to the general idea of government(any govt... local, or state included) being involved in this than I can see your point but I think that ship sailed long ago.

patteeu 12-12-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9203566)
YES! I'm sick of getting nagged at to turn the damned TV down b/c the commercials blare at such a high level. Forcing me to adjust the volume 6-10 times an hour...

JFC! Teach your woman who wears the pants and controls the remote, dude.

patteeu 12-12-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9203579)
Tough call, as long as we have an FCC than I'd say yes, this falls under their purview. Solid argument could be made that this falls under the realm of interstate commerce and therefore is a constitutionally valid exercise of federal power.

If you are simply objecting to the general idea of government(any govt... local, or state included) being involved in this than I can see your point but I think that ship sailed long ago.

Yes, the latter.

Dartgod 12-13-2012 09:00 AM

WHAT?

Demonpenz 12-13-2012 05:13 PM

hit the "Arrowhead" button on the remote, it brings the tv down to low level buzz.

Molitoth 12-14-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9205821)
hit the "Arrowhead" button on the remote, it brings the tv down to low level buzz.

:LOL:

Easy 6 12-14-2012 09:52 AM

This lasted all of O days, the ads BLARED from the tv same as they always did this morning.

Amnorix 12-14-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9203447)
I find loud commercials to be pretty annoying, but is this really something we needed the government to regulate?


Yes please. It's VERY ****ing annoying.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.