ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Get BSOD every few days (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267616)

The Bad Guy 12-12-2012 06:00 PM

Get BSOD every few days
 
I'm trying to find out what happens to my computer every few days. Applications will constantly crash and then I'll get the blue screen of death. I reset the bios and then it works for a few days and the same thing occurs.

Is there anyway to really pinpoint this?

Here's what the error report said when my computer restarted

Quote:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880010A75DD
BCP3: FFFFF88009F73BC0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010110-18860-01.dmp
C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-42525-0.sysdata.xml
Now that I reset the bios to the last good option, it stays fine for a few days. Then when I try to run Chrome or Firefox, those apps will crash, my virus scan won't update and I get error messages galore.

Any help or assistance with this would be great. It's a computer I built 3 years ago with the help of some great people on here, so I don't know if it's a driver issue or if something is having a hard time getting along hardware wise.

loochy 12-12-2012 06:04 PM

heat issues?

bad ram?

chipset / processor going bad?

who knows?

The Bad Guy 12-12-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9203475)
heat issues?

bad ram?

chipset / processor going bad?

who knows?

I've ruled out the heat issue when I installed a new cooler master a few weeks ago.

Fruit Ninja 12-12-2012 07:17 PM

sometimes, it can be a bitch to trouble shoot if you dont have spare parts.

KILLER_CLOWN 12-12-2012 08:12 PM

What OS is installed? how long has it been installed? If it's Vista I would install something else. I would go with overheating/bad cpu/ram as well...but you could try reinstalling your windows.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 08:19 PM

It sounds like a driver issue, specifically a video card driver issue.

I'd go to the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers.

Count Zarth 12-12-2012 08:22 PM

What Dane said.

Quote:

3b is usually a graphic's driver (display adapter/video driver), other possibilities include
but are not limited to antivirus/antispyware/security programs and even memory (mapping).

BCCode: 3b 0x0000003b

Cause
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.
Uninstall your video card driver, run driver cleaner, reboot and reinstall latest drivers.

KILLER_CLOWN 12-12-2012 09:22 PM

If it's vid card related you could also make sure your video card fan is operating. I've had a few of them go out and it BSODs.

The Bad Guy 12-12-2012 09:28 PM

Thanks guys.

Will try that when I get back on Friday.

I def. think it's a driver issue.

htismaqe 12-13-2012 07:32 AM

If you want to find out EXACTLY what driver is causing it, PM me.

I will have you email me the minidump file (C:\Windows\Minidump\010110-18860-01.dmp).

You could also analyze it yourself - Windows Debug tool aren't hard to use once you get them functional but getting them functional is somewhat complicated.

Let me know if you want to go that route.

Dartgod 12-13-2012 07:56 AM

BlueScreenView works pretty good at identifying what driver is causing the BSOD.

Download it for free here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

htismaqe 12-13-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 9204495)
BlueScreenView works pretty good at identifying what driver is causing the BSOD.

Download it for free here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Damn, I forgot about Nirsoft. Good call.

loochy 12-13-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9203509)
I've ruled out the heat issue when I installed a new cooler master a few weeks ago.

right, but it can be overheating elsewhere too - not just on your processor. Check your video card, your ram, and your northbridge and southbridge.

Or it could be a driver...or any number of things. It's really hard to troubleshoot these things.

htismaqe 12-13-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9204633)
right, but it can be overheating elsewhere too - not just on your processor. Check your video card, your ram, and your northbridge and southbridge.

Or it could be a driver...or any number of things. It's really hard to troubleshoot these things.

A processor overheating would more than likely cause a complete freeze or crash to POST.

The presence of the BSOD confirms that kernel debug was able to do a crash dump, which generally exonerates the CPU.

More than likely, it's either GPU or RAM that is causing it.

The Bad Guy 12-15-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9204457)
If you want to find out EXACTLY what driver is causing it, PM me.

I will have you email me the minidump file (C:\Windows\Minidump\010110-18860-01.dmp).

You could also analyze it yourself - Windows Debug tool aren't hard to use once you get them functional but getting them functional is somewhat complicated.

Let me know if you want to go that route.

PM sent. Used Bluescreenview. Don't really know what I'm looking at but I know you will.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.