ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Gretz weighs in on the GM situation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268224)

FloridaMan88 12-30-2012 09:19 PM

Another solid write-up from Bob Gretz (hell must have frozen over for me to type that):

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-footb...lark-hunt.html

Column: Defining Moment Ahead For Clark Hunt

I would not begin to even think that I could read the mind of Clark Hunt and what his plans are for the Hunt Family football team.

Chiefs Nation has their fingers, toes, even eyes crossed that New Year’s Eve 2012 will be the moment when the madness and losing of the Pioli Era will end and a new future will be laid out for the football team.

Two months ago, my personal opinion was that Hunt didn’t have the guts to admit his mistake and fire Pioli. Now, after everything that happened with his franchise over the last four months, I’m not sure Hunt has the guts not to make a big change. How could he possibly ignore what’s gone down with the Chiefs and why they are the NFL’s worst team in 2012?

Well, let me assure you he can, and he might. I don’t think it’s a lead-pipe cinch that the hurricane of change roils through the franchise. The fans and media think that Hunt has to be embarrassed and angry with the performance of his team on the field under Pioli’s direction. They are now 23-42 after losing Sunday in Denver, some 19 games under .500 and far removed from being a championship contender.

I do believe Hunt wants a winning team. What I don’t know, and we all don’t know, is just how important winning is on his radar screen. There may be other areas and avenues of the organization that rank higher on his list of goals. That remains a mystery.

Or, at least it will be in the shadows until he explains what his immediate plans are for the organization. If he keeps Pioli, it will provide everyone with an emphatic answer that winning is not the most important item on his agenda.

A 2-14 season cries out for some sort of reply from ownership. Firing/retiring Romeo Crennel is not going to be a big enough change. There’s no question the Chiefs coaching staff was not a strong one and that doesn’t just fall at the feet of Crennel, not in an organization where Pioli has his finger in every pie and the willingness to overrule any notion that is not his.

For four years now, we have seen that this fish rots from the head down. Now, Clark Hunt will show us if he was the problem ahead of Pioli.

The immediate future of the team depends on what he decides. This is not just a move about changing the names in the office directory. This franchise must reconnect with its fans. There needs to be profound change in the way business is conducted by the Kansas City Chiefs Football Club, Inc.

A red and gold nation awaits a moment where Clark Hunt makes a decision that shows he understands and he has listened.

But, don’t be surprised if he says he does understand and has listened but is going to keep his general manager while sacrificing his head coach.

Anything is possible.

DaFace 12-30-2012 10:04 PM

I thought this was a good enough article to copy it out of the SOC thread and into its own. Mega threads suck.

DaFace 12-30-2012 10:13 PM

He kind of alludes to a good point. Up to this point, all of the ire has been pointed at Pioli. If Clark lets Pioli stick around, it's a clear indicator that winning isn't the most important goal he has. At that point, the fans' ire turns to Clark. That's potentially a huge turning point for this franchise.

dirk digler 12-30-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9256197)
He kind of alludes to a good point. Up to this point, all of the ire has been pointed at Pioli. If Clark lets Pioli stick around, it's a clear indicator that winning isn't the most important goal he has. At that point, the fans' ire turns to Clark. That's potentially a huge turning point for this franchise.

I have been saying for the last couple of years Clark is THE PROBLEM so now he has a chance to prove me wrong. Hope he does.

siberian khatru 12-30-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9256105)
I thought this was a good enough article to copy it out of the SOC thread and into its own. Mega threads suck.

Do more of that, please.

I see that thread I keep thinking it's just more organizing protests. I think "news" should be separate from it.

Ebolapox 12-30-2012 10:24 PM

wonder if he has his finger on the pulse of the fanbase. he CAN'T be this obtuse, can he? clark, clark clark... don't do this to the franchise.

cdcox 12-30-2012 10:28 PM

Good to see the KC media isn't going to allow Hunt a free pass if he decides to keep Pioli.

ChiefsCountry 12-30-2012 10:30 PM

Yeah if he keeps Pioli, Clark and the Hunt family goes to public enemy #1 instead of their football guy. They had Steadman, King Carl, and douche Pioli before to take the heat. If he keeps him for the first time the fans will be turning on them.

Bob Dole 12-30-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Bob Dole's question then becomes: What goal has Pioli achieved?

DaFace 12-30-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9256362)
Bob Dole's question then becomes: What goal has Pioli achieved?

Well, the rumor is that Pioli has made Clark a ton of money. But then, I would anticipate that next season's attendance would be worse than this one if Pioli is kept around, so that's not even something that will be a likely accomplishment in the future.

DJ's left nut 12-30-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

That's what I was saying in the 'do you come back to Arrowhead' thread/poll.

The "I'm out until Pioli is gone" option that's running away with the poll is just stupid. If Scott Pioli is retained, it's Clark Hunt that will have to go before I come back.

If Pioli returns, he's not the problem. At that point we have Bill Bidwell in charge. Or Mike Brown. Or William Clay Ford.

Clark Hunt will join that list of infamously horrid owners. And he won't join the list of meddlesome ones that want to win like Snyder or Jones or Davis. Those guys at least manage to win stuff here and there. No, he's going to join the list full of disinterested, cheap one who sucks the peniss that don't care about the team and want nothing more than to take your money and employ their buddies. Bidwell, Brown, Ford....Hunt.

And here's the good news, fellas - he's young. He's really really young.

He's going to outlive 1/2 of this board.

If he brings back Scott Pioli, this team is dead to me until Hunt is gone. I will not have a billionaire tell me to **** myself and then shake me by my feet for loose change.

GloryDayz 12-30-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9256102)
Another solid write-up from Bob Gretz (hell must have frozen over for me to type that):

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-footb...lark-hunt.html

Column: Defining Moment Ahead For Clark Hunt

I do believe Hunt wants a winning team. What I don’t know, and we all don’t know, is just how important winning is on his radar screen. There may be other areas and avenues of the organization that rank higher on his list of goals. That remains a mystery.

Or, at least it will be in the shadows until he explains what his immediate plans are for the organization. If he keeps Pioli, it will provide everyone with an emphatic answer that winning is not the most important item on his agenda.

For four years now, we have seen that this fish rots from the head down. Now, Clark Hunt will show us if he was the problem ahead of Pioli.

There needs to be profound change in the way business is conducted by the Kansas City Chiefs Football Club, Inc.

A red and gold nation awaits a moment where Clark Hunt makes a decision that shows he understands and he has listened.

But, don’t be surprised if he says he does understand and has listened but is going to keep his general manager while sacrificing his head coach.

Anything is possible

I was thinking of not replying, but I can't.. It's spot-on. I personally think "Hunt" (not just this latest version) is the root of the problem.

I'm not convinced that the Hunts care about winning to any large extent. I think they're a money-first, second, third........ninty-nineth and one-hundredth, after that, a win is cool too. Now that losing is affecting their coin, THAT might force them to do something. I'm just not confident he knows what to do past take a stab in the dark or reply on the advice of Marty. Not bad advice, but in the end he won't be the author of any major part of his final opinion or decision.

threebag 12-30-2012 10:56 PM

I would take raising a trophy bearing my fathers name over making money trying to **** the fans. If you win you bring in way more fans. If you lose you suck the penis.

GloryDayz 12-30-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9256513)
I would take raising a trophy bearing my fathers name over making money trying to **** the fans. If you win you bring in way more fans. If you lose you suck the penis.

They make plenty off of revenue sharing... Add to it their other spending (or non-spending) tendencies, Hunt's profit-to-effort level is very high. His not living in KC speaks volumes, and this is only one source of income for him, so his priorities for the Chiefs might be have be askew while he was multi-tasking.

SAUTO 12-30-2012 11:03 PM

I don't know what living in kc has to do with anything. He is there quite a bit
Posted via Mobile Device